Copperplate

R. Blome : 16 items

Maps

R. Blome    Britannia 1673
£255
26 x 29.5cm


Originally intended as volume 3 of a larger cartographic project (The English Atlas), Richard Blome's Britannia was published alone in 1673. A rare second edition was issued in 1677. This Cambridgeshire map is from the first edition of the work, and was dedicated to Sir Thomas Chicheley of Wimpole Hall (today owned by the National Trust).At the time of the map's publication he was Master General of the Ordnance and was a privy councillor to King Charles II. In return for his patronage of Blome's project Chicheley received this dedication on the county map, and also appeared in the list of the nobility and gentry of the county, his coat of arms being further included amongst the 816 illustrated in the volume. Mounted.
Ref: CAM 177
 
R. Blome    Britannia 1673
£195
24 x 31.5cm


Originally intended as volume 3 of a larger cartographic project (The English Atlas), Richard Blome's Britannia was published alone in 1673. A rare second edition was issued in 1677. This Cumberland map is from the first edition of the work, and was dedicated to Charles Howard, Earl of Carlisle and Lord Lieutenant of the county of Cumberland. In return for his patronage of Blome's project Howard received this dedication on the county map, and also appeared in the list of the nobility and gentry of the county, his coat of arms being further included amongst the 816 illustrated in the volume. Very slight browning across the centrefold.
Ref: CUM 012
 
R. Blome    Britannia 1673
£250
23 x 32cm


Originally intended as volume 3 of a larger cartographic project (The English Atlas), Richard Blome's Britannia was published alone in 1673. A rare second edition was issued in 1677. This Lancashire map is from the first edition of the work, and was dedicated to William Stanley, 9th. Earl of Derby and Lord Lieutenant of the county of Lancashire. In return for his patronage of Blome's project Lord Stanley received this dedication on the county map, and also appeared in the list of the nobility and gentry of the county, his coat of arms being further included amongst the 816 illustrated in the volume. Modern hand colour.
Ref: LAN 015
 
R. Blome    Britannia 1673
£230
27 x 32cm


Originally intended as volume 3 of a larger cartographic project (The English Atlas), Richard Blome's Britannia was published alone in 1673. A rare second edition was issued in 1677. This Lincolnshire map is from the first edition of the work, and was dedicated to Robert Bertie, Earl of Lindsey and Lord Lieutenant of the county of Lincolnshire. In return for his patronage of Blome's project Rpbert received this dedication on the county map, and also appeared in the list of the nobility and gentry of the county, his coat of arms being further included amongst the 816 illustrated in the volume. Two unobtrusive. repaired tears to the right hand margin entering the printed area by c2cms.
Ref: LIN 037
 
R. Blome    Britannia 1673 or1677
£260
32.5 x 24.5cm


Originally intended as volume 3 of a larger cartographic project (The English Atlas), Blome's Britannia was published alone in 1673. A rare second edition was issued in 1677. The Norfolk map is dedicated to Henry Howard, Earl of Norwich, and heir apparent to the Duke of Norfolk.
Ref: NFK 038
 
R. Blome    Britannia 1673
£175
28 x 21.5cm


Originally intended as volume 3 of a larger cartographic project (The English Atlas), Richard Blome's Britannia was published alone in 1673. A rare second edition was issued in 1677. This map of Rutlan is from the first edition of the work, and was dedicated to Robert Brudenell, Baron Brudenell of Stanton Wyvill in Leicestershire and 2nd Earl of Cardigan. In return for his patronage of Blome's project Brudenell received this dedication on the county map, and also appeared in the list of the nobility and gentry of the county, his coat of arms being further included amongst the 816 illustrated in the volume.
Ref: RUT 021
 
R. Blome    England Exactly Described 1731 (1681)
£85
21 x 14.5cm


Blome's smaller series of county maps have a puzzling history. They seem to have been initiated before his larger maps for Britannia, but were not published until 1681 when they appeared under the title Speed's Maps Epitomiz'd. Blome re-issued them twice before his death in 1705, under new titles and sometimes with changed dedications (as was the case with the Surrey map). The plates were subsequently acquired by Thomas Taylor who brought out a new edition in 1715 titled England Exactly Described. The final issue of the work was by Thomas Bakewell in 1731. The presence of plate numbers and roads, and presence of his signature dates this example to the 1731 Bakewell edition of the work. To mount.
Ref: SUR 018
 
R. Blome    Britannia 1673
£295
26 x 30cm


Originally intended as volume 3 of a larger cartographic project (The English Atlas), Richard Blome's Britannia was published alone in 1673. A rare second edition was issued in 1677. This map of Rutland is from the first edition of the work, and was dedicated to Charles Paulet, known then as Lord St. John, but who succeeded to the title of sixth Marquess of Winchester in 1675. In return for his patronage of Blome's project Paulet received this dedication on the county map, and also appeared in the list of the nobility and gentry of the county, his coat of arms being further included amongst the 816 illustrated in the volume.
Ref: HAM 023
 
R. Blome    England Exactly Described 177 or 1731 (1681)
£85
21.5 x 14cm


Blome's smaller series of county maps have a puzzling history. They seem to have been initiated before his larger maps for Britannia, but were not published until 1681 when they appeared under the title Speed's Maps Epitomiz'd. Blome re-issued them twice before his death in 1705, under new titles and sometimes with changed dedications (as was the case with the Sussex map). The plates were subsequently acquired by Thomas Taylor who brought out a new edition in 1715 titled England Exactly Described. The final issue of the work was by Thomas Bakewell in 1731. The presence of plate numbers and roads dates this example to either the 1717 edition by Taylor, or the 1831 Bakewell edition. Supplied mounted and ready to frame.
Ref: SUS 019
 
R. Blome    Britannia 1673
£240
25.5 x 31cm


Originally intended as volume 3 of a larger cartographic project (The English Atlas), Blome's Britannia was published alone in 1673. A rare second edition was issued in 1677. The Buckinghamshire map is dedicated to the Earl of Bridgewater.
Ref: BUC 1425
 
R. Blome    Britannia 1673
£125
25 x 32cm


Originally intended as volume 3 of a larger cartographic project (The English Atlas), Blome's Britannia was published alone in 1673. A rare second edition was issued in 1677. The Bedfordshire map is dedicated to the Earl of Alisbury and Elgin, who was also Lord Lieutenant of the County. A small pinhole.
Ref: BED 021
 
R. Blome    England Exactly Described c1717-31 (1681)
£85
16 x 23cm


Blome's smaller series of county maps have a puzzling history. They seem to have been initiated before his larger maps for Britannia, but were not published until 1681 when they appeared under the title Speed's Maps Epitomiz'd. Blome re-issued them twice before his death in 1705. The plates were subsequently acquired by Thomas Taylor who brought out a new edition in 1715 titled England Exactly Described.Taylor removed Blome's dedications on a number of maps including this one of Bedfordshire. This copy is probably from the 1717 edition by Taylor or the later edition published by Bakewell, as it includes a plate number and has had roads added.
Ref: BED 023
 
R. Blome    Britannia 1673
£225
27 x 31.5cm


Originally intended as volume 3 of a larger cartographic project (The English Atlas), Richard Blome's county atlas, Britannia, was published alone in 1673. A rare second edition was issued in 1677. The Shropshire map is dedicated to Francis Lord Newport, Baron of High Ercall and Lord Lieutenant of the County.
Ref: SHR 019
 
R. Blome    Britannia 1673
£255
32 x 256cm


Originally intended as volume 3 of a larger cartographic project (The English Atlas), Richard Blome's Britannia was published alone in 1673. A rare second edition was issued in 1677. This Suffolk map is from the first edition of the work, and was dedicated to Thomas Timperley of Hintlesham Hall (today a hotel). In return for his patronage of Blome's project Timperley received this dedication on the county map, and also appeared in the list of the nobility and gentry of the county, his coat of arms being further included amongst the 816 illustrated in the volume.
Ref: SUF 098
 

Town Plans

J. Strype R. Blome    Stow's Survey of London 1720/1755
£115
36.5 x 28cm


London - The Parishes of Shadwell and Wapping. John Stow 's Survey of London was first published in 1598, and included just one general map of the city. There were 3 further editions between 1603 and 1633, including enlargement of the original text, but then a long gap before interest in the work was revived by John Strype in 1720. His new 2 volume edition updated and enlarged the text - much had changed since the Great Fire of 1666 - but also added a set of maps of each of the wards and parishes comprising the rebult and growing city and its surrounding rural suburbs. The maps had been engraved by Richard Blome around 1690, but never previously published. Strype brought out a second edition of his work in 1754/5. This map shows the adjacent parishes of St. John's, Wapping, and St. Paul's, Shadwell. Slight creasing and one short, closed teat to the wide margins, not affecting the printed image. Modern colour.
Ref: TWN 136
 
J. Strype R. Blome    Stow's Survey of London 1720
£185
41 x 28.5cm


London - The Parish of Stepney or Stebunheath. John Stow 's Survey of London was first published in 1598, and included just one general map of the city. There were 3 further editions between 1603 and 1633, including enlargement of the original text, but then a long gap before interest in the work was revived by John Strype in 1720. His new 2 volume edition updated and enlarged the text - much had changed since the Great Fire of 1666 - but also added a set of maps of each of the wards and parishes comprising the rebult and growing city and its surrounding rural suburbs. The maps had been engraved by Richard Blome around 1690, but never previously published. Strype brought out a second edition of his work in 1754/5. This map shows the parish of St. Dunstan's, Stepney (or Stebunheath), but only appeared in the 1720 edition of the work, being replaced by a new map of the parish in the 1755 edition. Slight creasing and one short, closed tear to the wide margins, not affecting the printed image. Modern colour.
Ref: TWN 137