Copperplate

Cheshire : 21 items

Maps

W. Hole    Camden's Britannia 1637 (1607)
£270
30 x 25.5cm


The first five editions of Camden's successful history and topography of Britain were without maps, but for the sixth edition of 1607 the engravers William Hole and William Kip were commissioned to provide a set of maps of the counties of England and Wales, plus 3 general maps of the countries comprising the new "United Kingdom". These maps were retained for the subsequent 1610 and 1637 editions. They are based on the earlier work of Saxton, Norden, Smith and Owen. This attractively coloured example is from the 1637 edition.
Ref: CHE 089
 
T. Kitchin    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1789 (1750)
£59
22.5 x 14cm


This map was first published in the October 1750 edition of the London Magazine, which between 1747 and 1754 issued a complete set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin. The maps were later re-published by Alexander Hogg in Boswell's Antiquities of England & Wales, initially in partwork from c1787-9, and then in several complete editions of the work up to 1798. This example of the Cheshire map is from the first complete edition of Boswell's Antiquities dating from c1789. Supplied with the original, accompanying text page from the work.
Ref: CHE 014
 
J. Ellis    Ellis's English Atlas 1766 (1765)
£60
24 x 19.5cm


Joseph Ellis's English Atlas was an entry into the market for small county atlases by its publishers Robert Sayer and Carington Bowles. The county maps were closely based upon those drawn by Thomas Kitchin for the 1763 topographical work England Illustrated, the major difference being the attractive vignettes which replaced Kitchin's rococco cartouches. The atlas was first published in 1765, and soon became a commercial success, running to many later editions. It was promoted as a travelling atlas, and made available in various formats. These included a version with the maps printed back to back on each page, as with this example from a 1766 edition which has a map of Cambridgeshire printed on the reverse.
Ref: CHE 092
 
J. Aiken    England Delineated 1790
£16
13.5 x 9cm


John Aikin (or Aiken) wrote this topographical work for children in order "to make my young countrymen better acquainted than they are usually found to be with their native land". The first edition of 1788 did not include county maps, but these were added for the second edition of 1790, from which this example comes. The work was published by Joseph Johnson, but the maps are unsigned. There were four later editions of the book with the maps, and one without. The Cheshire map is fairly simple, befitting the needs of its target audience, and the text may be available at no extra charge.
Ref: CHE 095
 
J. Cary    New English Atlas 1811 (1809)
£90
53.5 x 48cm


It is suprising that Cary's large county atlas was issued as late as 1809, as individual maps from it seem to have been sold singly from 1801. The atlas format was perhaps to compete with the similarly sized atlas of Charles Smith, which went under the same title and was published in 1804. It is perhaps Cary's finest production, the maps being notable for their fine design, detail and engraving. The atlas ran to several later editions by Cary, and the plates were later used for a variety of lithographic transfers by G.F. Cruchley. This example is from the second edition of 1811, and is in original full colour.
Ref: CHE 098
 
T. Murray    An Atlas of the English Counties 1830
£38
45.5 x 34.5cm


The title page of Murray's county atlas states that the maps were "Projected on the basis of the Trigonometrical Survey by order of the hon.ble The Board of Ordnance, under the superindendance of T.L. Murray". This might seem to imply the project had at least the official blessing, if not the active involvement of the Ordnance Survey, but is more likely to be a marketing puff. D. Hodson has suggested that the maps were copied from those of William Ebden published from 1825-8, both sets also being engraved by the same firm of Hoare & Reeves. Murray's Atlas was first published in 1830, with second and third editions in 1831 and 1832, the latter with the adddition of electoral data. by 1838 the plates had been acquired by W. Robson & Co. who published and sold the maps individually, and also used them in their commercial directories. This example is from the first edition of 1830. Original colour. A couple of short, repaired, marginal tears, not affecting the image, and a small hole in blank white area just within right hand border.
Ref: CHE 011
 
A. Fullarton    The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1847 (1833)
£35
23.5 x 18.5cm


These maps were first published by Fullarton and Co. in 1833 in James Bell's New and Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales which was re-issued three times in the 1830's. They were subsequently re-published (again by Fullarton) in 1840 in The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales, with several further re-issues up to 1849. The maps were engraved on steel and sometimes bear the name of the engraver and sometimes not. This example is from the Parliamentary Gazetteer of 1847 and lacks an engraver's signature. Short repair to lower centrefold c0.5cms into border. Supplied mounted, ready for framing.
Ref: CHE 100
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    View of the Representative History of England 1835
£24
24.5 x 18.5cm


This work was published in 1835 as a companion volume to Lewis's Topographic Dictionary. It contains county and borough maps, drawn by R. Creighton and engaved by J.& C. Walker, and was designed to show the electoral and boundary changes effected by the 1832 Reform Act. There were 2 issues of the work in 1835 and 1840, this example of the county map being from the 1835 first edition. Original outline colour.
Ref: CHE 005
 
J. Barclay T. Moule    Barclay's Universal English Dictionary 1842-52 (1837)
£65
25.5 x 19cm


Thomas Moule's antiquarian leanings are evident in this series of highly decorative county maps - a stylistic throwback in an age when cartographic work had become much plainer and more utilitarian. The maps were engraved by W. Smollinger, J. Bingley and J. Dower, and first appeared in Moule's English Counties Delineated, a partwork with text issued from 1830-32. They were subsequently made available as a complete work in 1837 under the same title, and were later re-issued in Barclay's Universal English Dictionary between 1842 and 1852. This latter work ran to several editions and the maps were often updated between editions to show the latest growth of the railway network. This example in modern colour is from one of the editions of Barclay's Dictionary.
Ref: CHE 006
 
J. Duncan    A Complete County Atlas of England and Wales 1840-45 (1825)
£55
44 x 34.5cm


Coloured. These maps were first published in 1825, and probably sold singly. In 1833 they were re-published by James Duncan in a thematic atlas to illustrate the representative changes brought about by the 1832 Reform Act. There were later re-issues in 1840 and 1845 with the addition of railways, and this map dates from one of these editions.
Ref: CHE 1092
 
B. Clarke R. Rowe    The British Gazetteer 1852 (1816)
£35
41 x 33.5cm


These maps first appeared in Rowe's English Atlas of 1816, being subsequently acquired by a succession of later publishers and used in a variety of their works. They were modified and updated during this time. This example is the second lithographic transfer for Clarke's British Gazetteer, published in 1852 by H.G. Collins. The map was folded and trimmed just within bottom right hand border to fit the volume, but has been re-margined with old paper to facilitate mounting if so desired.
Ref: CHE 1153
 
T. Dix W. Darton    The Counties of England c1835 (1822)
£235
43.5 x 35cm


Thomas Dix initiated this atlas project some time around 1816, but after his death it was carried on to completion by the publisher William Darton. The Atlas was issued in 1822, though individual maps from the first edition bear various dates between 1816 and 1821. This example is from the later edition of the atlas, published in c1835 for which imprint dates were removed from the maps, titles were changed and electoral information was added. As here, the maps are usually found in attractive and original full wash colour, and all editions are relatively scarce.
Ref: CHE 009
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas (reduced version) 1828 or 1833 (1822)
£40
23 x 18.5cm


In 1822 Charles Smith issued a county atlas with maps based on his larger county maps which had been in circulation for over 20 years. The new maps were smaller in scale, but the atlas bore the same title as that in which his larger maps appeared. They are clearly drawn and engraved, but although there were several editions of the atlas, they are today amongst the rarer of the 18th century county maps. This example is from the edition of 1828 or 1833, in which the maps have no date in the imprint, but before railways were added for the edition of 1844. Original outline colour.
Ref: CHE 007
 
H. Teesdale R. Rowe    New British Atlas 1830 (1812-14)
£55
41 x 34cm


This detailed and well engraved map was one of a set first published around 1812-14 by Robert Rowe, who was probably also their draftsman and engraver. The maps were initially sold singly in folding format until their collective issue in 1816 as The English Atlas. The plates were later acquired by Henry Teesdale, who amended titles and imprints and re-issued the work as the New British Atlas in 1829, with several re-issues up to 1842. The plates were later acquired and used by H.G. Collins and then by G. Philip and Son, who both used them as the base for lithographic transfers for a variety of works up to c1860. This example is from the 1830 second edition of Teesdale's atlas. Original wash colour.
Ref: CHE 010
 
J. Lodge    Untitled Atlas of the English Counties c1795
£115
32 x 26.5cm


This was one of a set of county maps engraved by John Lodge and issued between 1787 and 1790 in The Political Magazine, and Parliamentary, Naval, Military and Literary Journal, published initially by John Murray, and later by R. Butters. The maps were subsequently collected together and re-issued as an atlas (without title page) around 1795. For this atlas edition the imprint with the publication date and engraver's and publisher's signatures was removed from the maps. This example is from the atlas edition. The maps are well engraved in the plainer style then coming into vogue. They are uncommon, and sought by collectors.
Ref: CHE 003
 

Topographical prints - other areas

A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£7
23 x 35.5cm


East Gate, Chester; Sonne Gate, Coventry and Castle Ashby, Northants. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. This print offers 3 views on one sheet. Narrow vertical borders and a nick to the upper-left border.
Ref: TOP 153
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£7
22.5 x 33.5cm


Beeston Castle and Nantwich Church. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. Beeston Castle was built in the 1220's by Ranulph de Blondeville, Earl of Chester. It was slighted by Cromwell during the civil war, and its ruins are today owned by English Heritage, who open it to the public. St. Mary's Church at Nantwich is one of the country's finest medieval churches and is grade 1 listed. Two prints on one sheet engraved by Lodge. A few brown spots and worm holes to the margins which would be hidden by a mount.
Ref: TOP 138
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£20
30.5 x 22cm


The City of Chester. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. This attractive print of Chester from across the river Dee bears no engraver's or artist's signatures. A couple of small worm holes and some light foxing to the margins, which would be hidden by a mount.
Ref: TOP 1588
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£7
16 x 10cm


Chester Cathedral. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically two (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Chester Cathedral dates from 1093, when it was built as the Abbey Church of a Bendictine monastery, and has been the seat of the Bishop of Chester since 1541. This print was engraved by Goldar after a drawing by Hamilton. A few light-brown spots but otherwise in good order.
Ref: TOP 619
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£9
18.5 x 32cm


Beeston Castle. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically two (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Beeston Castle was built in the 1220's by Ranulph de Blondeville, Earl of Chester. It was slighted by Cromwell during the civil war, and its ruins are today owned by English Heritage, who open it to the public. This print was engraved by Rennoldson, and offers two view of the castle. It is supplied with the original, accompanying text.
Ref: TOP 612
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£7
18 x 15cm


Beeston Castle. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically two (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Beeston Castle was built in the 1220's by Ranulph de Blondeville, Earl of Chester. It was slighted by Cromwell during the civil war, and its ruins are today owned by English Heritage, who open it to the public. This print was engraved by Lodge.
Ref: TOP 237