Copperplate

Warwickshire : 28 items

Maps

P. van den Keere    England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland Described and Abridged...from a Farr Larger Volume by John Speed 1627-76
£75
11.5 x 8.5cm


Around 1599 Peter Van Den Keere engraved a set of miniature British maps based on Saxton. By 1619 the plates had passed to George Humble, who revised them (changing Latin county names to English), but also engraved new plates to replace those counties grouped together on one map in the originals. The Warwickshire map was one of these new additions. All the maps are generally referred to as by Van den Keere, but Skelton doubts this attribution for the new maps. The atlas went through several later editions until 1676. Close trimmed to the right hand margin with very slight loss - re-margined to allow for mounting.
Ref: WAR 002
 
J. Blaeu    Theatrum Orbis Terrarum 1645-67 (1645)
£495
50 x 41cm


The Blaeu family were one of the leading Dutch map producers of the 17th century. Their major work was a multi volume world atlas initiated by Willem Blaeu and expanded by his son Joan. Their maps were beautifully designed and engraved, and are often found with original colour, making them most desirable to collectors. 1645 saw the first publication of volume 4 of the atlas, containing maps of England and Wales. There were several re-issues between then and 1672 when most of Blaeu's plates were lost in a fire which engulfed his Amsterdam premises. The Warwickshire map also covers Worcestershire. This example is in original colour, in excellent condition, framed and double glazed. French text to verso dates it as from the 1645, 1648, 1663 or 1667 editions.
Ref: WOR 756
 
R. Morden    Camden's Britannia 1695
£125
42 x 36 cm


Camden's Britannia - a history and topography of Britain - was first published in 1586 and had a long and successful publication history. County maps by Kip and Hole were addded in 1607, and these also appeared in the editions of 1610 and 1637. Over 50 year's later it was decided to issue a new and updated edition. The original Latin text was re-translated by Edmund Gibson, and Robert Morden was commissioned to provide a new set of county and general maps in a more modern style. The revised work was issued in 1695. There were 4 further editions of the Gibson/Morden work, the last in 1772, before a further updated version by Richard Gough was launched in 1789, with new maps by John Cary. This example is from the first Gibson edition of 1695. Short repair to bottom centrefold, not affecting the printed area.
Ref: WAR 708
 
H. Beighton    Dugdale's Antiquities of Warwickshire 1765 (1730)
£145
33 x 35cm


Sir William Dugdales work, first published in 1656, was one of the earliest county histories. It contained a county map, a town plan of Warwick, and 4 maps of the hundreds including this one of Barlichway hundred by Henry Beighton. This example is from the third edition of the work, published in 1765. Old (possibly original) colour. Some old, faint creases but otherwise good.
Ref: WAR 710
 
T. Hutchinson    Geographia Magnae Britanniae 1748
£45
16 x 14.5cm


This small county atlas of England and Wales was first issued in 1748 by a consortium of 7 publishers who also had a stake in the publication of Daniel Defoe's Tour Through the Whole Island of Great Britain. It was advertised as a companion volume to Defoe's work, or as a pocket atlas in its own right. Thomas Hutchinson's name appears as the engraver on 2 maps, but the rest are unsigned and may be by a variety of hands. They are sometimes also known as Osborne/Wale maps. There was a second edition in 1756. Modern colour.
Ref: WAR 711
 
T. Badeslade W. Toms    Chorographia Britanniae 1742-49
£32
15 x 14.5cm


Chorographia Britanniae was one of the most popular 18th century atlases, offering county maps showing main roads, a handy pocket-size format and useful extra information provided in the notes. It was first published in 1742, with later issues in 1743, 1745 and 1749, though the work continued to be advertised until at least 1759. This example has some restoration to the lower margin where trimmed just below the border. Modern hand colour.
Ref: WAR 015
 
J. Ellis    Ellis's English Atlas 1766 (1765)
£55
18.5 x 24 5cm


Joseph Ellis's English Atlas was an entry into the market for small county atlases by its publishers Robert Sayer and Carington Bowles. The county maps were closely based upon those drawn by Thomas Kitchin for the 1763 topographical work England Illustrated, the major difference being the attractive vignettes which replaced Kitchin's rococco cartouches. The atlas was first published in 1765, and soon became a commercial success, running to many later editions. It was promoted as a travelling atlas, and made available in various formats. These included a version with the maps printed back to back on each page, as with this example from a 1766 edition which has a map of Westmorland on the reverse.
Ref: WAR 713
 
J. Cary    Camden's Britannia 1806 (1789)
£25
42 x 52cm


Camden's Britannia was first published in 1586. County maps by Kip and Hole were first added in 1607, being supplanted by those of Robert Morden for the 5 editions from 1695 to 1772. In 1789 a new translation of the work by Richard Gough was published by T. Payne and G. & J. Robinson with updated and modernised maps by John Cary. The same maps were also later used in Cary's New British Atlas of 1805. They can be found uncoloured, with outline colour and with full wash colour. This example is from the second Gough edition of Britannia, published in 1806, and the maps are in full wash colour - the most desirable state. Some damage and repairs to right hand border with some loss. Priced accordingly.
Ref: WAR 715
 
J. Aiken    England Delineated 1790
£16
9.5 x 15cm


John Aikin (or Aiken) wrote this topographical work for children in order "to make my young countrymen better acquainted than they are usually found to be with their native land". The first edition of 1788 did not include county maps, but these were added for the second edition of 1790, from which this example comes. The work was published by Joseph Johnson, but the maps are unsigned. There were four later editions of the book with the maps, and one without. The Warwickshire map is fairly simple, befitting the needs of its target audience, and the text may be available at no extra charge.
Ref: WAR 716
 
B. Capper    Topographical Dictionary of the UK 1808
£13
10 x 18cm


Benjamin Pitts Capper was the author of this topographical directory, first published by R. Phillips in 1808. The maps were engraved, and possibly drawn by H. Cooper. Later editions of the work carry the imprint of G.and W.B. Whittaker who re-published the book from 1825-34. This example is from the first edition of 1808, with the hundreds shown in original, full wash colour.
Ref: WAR 717
 
J. Cary    New English Atlas 1811 (1809)
£90
48 x 53.5cm


It is suprising that Cary's large county atlas was issued as late as 1809, as individual maps from it seem to have been sold singly from 1801. The atlas format was perhaps to compete with the similarly sized atlas of Charles Smith, which went under the same title and was published in 1804. It is perhaps Cary's finest production, the maps being notable for their fine design, detail and engraving. The atlas ran to several later editions by Cary, and the plates were later used for a variety of lithographic transfers by G.F. Cruchley. This example is from the second edition of 1811, and is in original full colour.
Ref: WAR 718
 
J. Pigot    British Atlas 1839-42 (1829)
£50
22 x 36cm


James Pigot & Co's county maps were issued in their British Atlas (from c1829), in several of their national and local business directories (from 1826 for the "home counties", at least), and singly in folding form as travelling maps. They were amongst the first maps to be printed from steel instead of copper plates, allowing more accurate fine detail and less wear to the plates over time. Atlas and directories went through several editions up to around 1857, later editions from 1846 being re-named Slater's New British Atlas, with imprints changed accordingly. Original outline colour.
Ref: WAR 719
 
T. Murray    An Atlas of the English Counties 1830
£3
35.5 x 45cm


The title page of Murray's county atlas states that the maps were "Projected on the basis of the Trigonometrical Survey by order of the hon.ble The Board of Ordnance, under the superindendance of T.L. Murray". This might seem to imply the project had at least the official blessing, if not the active involvement of the Ordnance Survey, but is more likely to be a marketing puff. D. Hodson has suggested that the maps were copied from those of William Ebden published from 1825-8, both sets also being engraved by the same firm of Hoare & Reeves. Murray's Atlas was first published in 1830, with second and third editions in 1831 and 1832, the latter with the adddition of electoral data. by 1838 the plates had been acquired by W. Robson & Co. who published and sold the maps individually, and also used them in their commercial directories. This example is from the first edition of 1830. Original colour. Repairs to several marginal tears and to 5 which enter the border by c1-2cm. Some creasing. Priced accordingly.
Ref: WAR 014
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    View of the Representative History of England 1835
£20
23.5 x 19cm


This work was published in 1835 as a companion volume to Lewis's Topographic Dictionary. It contains county and borough maps, drawn by R. Creighton and engaved by J.& C. Walker, and was designed to show the electoral and boundary changes effected by the 1832 Reform Act. There were 2 issues of the work in 1835 and 1840, this example of the county map being from the 1835 first edition. Original outline colour.
Ref: WAR 010
 
B. Clarke R. Rowe    The British Gazetteer 1852 (1816)
£25
34 x 41cm


These maps first appeared in Rowe's English Atlas of 1816, being subsequently acquired by a succession of later publishers and used in a variety of their works. They were modified and updated during this time. This example is the second lithographic transfer for Clarke's British Gazetteer, published in 1852 by H.G. Collins. Folded and trimmed close to bottom right hand border to fit the volume.
Ref: WAR 1194
 
T. Jefferys    Sold singly and included in The Large English Atlas c1760-70?
£195
50.5 x 62cm


The second state of Jefferys' large county map, first published between 1746 and 1760. The map was presumably originally sold as a single sheet, but is also found in The Large English Atlas where it sometimes takes the place of Thomas Kitchin's more usually found county map. The second state dates from 1760 or shortly after. Small hole just impinging the right hand border but otherwise a nice copy. Original outline colour.
Ref: WAR 1223
 
J. Jansson    Atlas Novus 1646-66 (1646)
£425
52.5 x 42.5cm


Jan Jansson was one of Amsterdam's leading 17th century mapmakers, and a close rival to the Blaeu family. His multi-volume world atlas first saw the introduction of 6 maps of individual English counties into the German edition of 1636, and a further 11 of English and Welsh counties in the Dutch edition of 1644. But when Jansson saw the 1645 Blaeu volume with more decorative maps covering all the English and Welsh counties, he felt obliged to revise his existing plates and complete the set in order to compete. His new volume covering England and Wales was first published in the 1646 Latin text edition of the Atlas Novus. There were several later editions by Jansson, and later isses by Schenk and Valk who acquired the plates in 1694. The Warwickshire map also covers Worcestershire. There is no text to verso of this example, which precludes more accurate dating to a specific edition. Top and bottom centrefold repairs, the former impinging c4cm within the border, but still a most attractive and desirable copy.
Ref: WOR 1193
 
J. Wallis S. Oddy    Wallis's New Britlish Atlas 1813
£35
17.5 x 26.5cm


James Wallis's New British Atlas was first published in 1813 by S.A. Oddy. There was a second edition in 1816. This example is from the first edition and is dated 1812 on the imprint. It is in attractive, original, full wash colour, and in good condition.
Ref: WAR 1580
 
J. Harrison    Maps of the English Counties 1791
£60
33 x 45.5cm


Harrison's atlas was first published in 1791, but maps were engraved and dated between 1787 and 1791, and may have been sold singly as completed. Warwickshire is dated 1788. There were later editions of the atlas in 1792 and c1815.
Ref: WAR 003
 
T. Kitchin    Royal English Atlas 1777 (c1764)
£185
40.5 x 51cm


The Royal English Atlas, first published around 1764, was probably an attempt to repeat the commercial success of The Large English Atlas, with a somewhat smaller format. The maps were again engraved by Kitchin and Bowen, and the partners in the enterprise were based around the consortium that had finally brought out The Large English Atlas in 1760. This time, however, they misjudged the market, and although there were some later re-issues of the atlas, the modern rarity of the maps suggests it was not very successful. This example, dated 1777, bears the publishers' imprint of R. Sayer,J. Bennett, J. Bowles and C. Bowles. Original outline colour.
Ref: WAR 019
 
J. Robins S.M. Neele    The New British Traveller 1818 (1814)
£25
19.5 x 25cm


This set of maps was engraved by Samuel Neele for James Dugdale's The New British Traveller, a topographical partwork issued from 1812-14, and later also sold complete, collected into four volumes. Early editions may have the imprint of James Cundee, but this is later changed to that of James Robins as with this example dated 1818. The maps were also used in Robins' Atlas of England and Wales, published in 1819. Close trimmed to top border and re-margined to faciltate mounting if desired.
Ref: WAR 004
 
J. Lodge    Untitled Atlas of the English Counties c1795
£90
23.5 x 31.5cm


This was one of a set of county maps engraved by John Lodge and issued between 1787 and 1790 in The Political Magazine, and Parliamentary, Naval, Military and Literary Journal, published initially by John Murray, and later by R. Butters. The maps were subsequently collected together and re-issued as an atlas (without title page) around 1795. For this atlas edition the imprint with the publication date and engraver's and publisher's signatures was removed from the maps. This example is from the atlas edition. The maps are well engraved in the plainer style then coming into vogue. They are uncommon, and sought by collectors.
Ref: WAR 007a
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas 1828/1833 (1822)
£35
18.5 x 24cm


In 1822 Charles Smith issued a county atlas with maps based on his larger county maps which had been in circulation for over 20 years. The new maps were smaller in scale, but the atlas bore the same title as that in which his larger maps appeared. They are clearly drawn and engraved, but although there were several editions of the atlas, they are today amongst the rarer of the 18th century county maps. This example is from the edition of 1828 or 1833, in which the maps have no date in the imprint, but before railways were added for the edition of 1844. Original outline colour.
Ref: WAR 012
 
H. Teesdale R. Rowe    New British Atlas 1830 (1812-14)
£38
34 x 41cm


This detailed and well engraved map was one of a set first published around 1812-14 by Robert Rowe, who was probably also their draftsman and engraver. The maps were initially sold singly in folding format until their collective issue in 1816 as The English Atlas. The plates were later acquired by Henry Teesdale, who amended titles and imprints and re-issued the work as the New British Atlas in 1829, with several re-issues up to 1842. The plates were later acquired and used by H.G. Collins and then by G. Philip and Son, who both used them as the base for lithographic transfers for a variety of works up to c1860. This example is from the 1830 second edition of Teesdale's atlas. Original wash colour.
Ref: WAR 013
 

Topographical prints - other areas

A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£10
23 x 35.5cm


Sponne Gate, Coventry & East Gate, Chester & Castle Ashby. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. Castle Ashby is the ancestral home of the Compton family, built on lands given to the family in 1512. In 1574 Lord Compton demolished the old 13th century castle on the estate to build the present house, still standing today and occupied by the present Earl Compton. The gardens and grounds were, in part, designed by Lancelot "Capability" Brown, and are open to the public. Spon gate was one of the 12 gates in Coventry's defensive walls, constructed in the 14th century. It was demolished in the late 18th century. Chester's East gate, stands on the site of one of the 4 original gates into the Roman Legionary Fortress which occupied the site. The present gate was built in 1768, with its clock added in 1899. The print has narrow vertical margins and a nick to the upper-left border, but would mount-up successfully.
Ref: TOP 153
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£8
21.5 x 16.5cm


Greyfriars Gate and Church, Coventry. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. Greyfriars Church was the monastic church of a Franciscan house, first recorded in 1234. Its tower and spire alone survived the dissolution of the monasteries, being incorporated into a new church built in the 1820's. This was largely destroyed by World War II bombing, but again the tower survived, Nearby once stood Greyfriars gate, one of the 12 gates built in the second half of the 14th century as part of the city's defences. Greyfriars gate was erected in1384 on the Warwick road It was demolished in 1781. The print is remargined to the top border where separated from an adjoining view.
Ref: TOP 118
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£8
24.5 x 16cm


Maxstoke Castle. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. Maxstoke Castle, about 3 miles from Coleshill, was built by Sir William de Clinton shortly after 1345. Since the 17th century it has been the family home of the Fetherstone-Dikes family, which it remains today. It is open to the general public for a short period each year (usually June), and for pre-booked tours.
Ref: TOP 105
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£8
21.5 x 36cm


Birmingham (and Guildford). The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. This print offers views of both Bormingham and Guildford, but these could be separated for individual mounting if so required. At the time the print was taken, Birmingham was at the forefront of the industrial revolution, having grown from a midlle-sized market town to a major manufacturing centre over the course of the 18th century. It is today Great Britain's second largest city.
Ref: TOP 086