Copperplate

Devonshire : 24 items

Maps

W. Kip    Camden's Britannia 1637 (1607)
£250
33.5 x 29.5cm


The first five editions of Camden's successful history and topography of Britain were without maps, but for the sixth edition of 1607 the engravers William Hole and William Kip were commissioned to provide a set of maps of the counties of England and Wales, plus 3 general maps of the countries comprising the new "United Kingdom". These maps were retained for the subsequent 1610 and 1637 editions. They are based on the earlier work of Saxton, Norden, Smith and Owen. This attractively coloured example is from the 1637 edition.
Ref: DEV 148
 
J. van Langeren T. Jenner    A Direction for the English Traviller 1677 or 1680 (1643)
£75
10 x 9.5cm


The history of this road book begins in 1635 when Van Langeren engraved the plates for the first edition published by Matthew Simmons under the title A Direction for the English Traviller. Distance tables dominated each county page, with only tiny thumbnail maps. In 1643 Thomas Jenner published a new edition for which the plates were re-engraved with much larger maps replacing the thumbnails. There were several later editions, some under the changed title A Booke of the Names of all Parishes, Market Towns, Villages, Hamlets and Smallest Places in England and Wales. Maps published under this title generally have the addition of text below the map, listing places in the county. Comparison with Bennet and Batten's Devon cartobibliography suggests this example is state 4 of the map as published by John Garrett in the final editions of 1677 and 1680.
Ref: DEV 034
 
F. Grose J. Seller    The Antiquities of England and Wales 1787-1809 (1695)
£35
14.5 x 12.5cm


In 1695 John Seller published a county atlas titled Anglia Contracta. The plates were much later acquired by Francis Grose, revised, and used in a supplement to his partwork on British antiquities. The supplement with maps was first published in 1787, and ran to several later editions. Modern colour, with descriptive text below and to verso.
Ref: DEV 021
 
T. Kitchin    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1789 (1750)
£60
18.5 x 20.5cm


This map was first published in the August 1750 edition of the London Magazine, which between 1747 and 1754 issued a complete set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin. The maps were later re-published by Alexander Hogg in Boswell's Antiquities of England & Wales, initially in partwork from c 1787-9, and then in several complete editions of the work up to 1798. This example of the Devon map is from the first complete edition of Boswell's Antiquities dating from c1789. Mounted.
Ref: DEV 042
 
C. Tozer    Dunsford's Historical Memoirs of Tiverton 1792
£45
18 x 22cm


This map was included in Durnford's work on Tiverton and is dated 1792. it was surveyed and drawn by C. Tozer and engraved by Thomas Yeakell, and covers an area of around 3-5 miles from the town at a scale of one inch to the mile. The work also included a town plan of Tiverton by the same team. Uncommon.
Ref: DEV 007
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas 1808 (1804)
£95
47.5 x 44cm


Charles Smith was a successful London publisher and map-seller, whose work is stylistically very similar to that of John Cary. His large format New English Atlas first came to market in 1804, but many of the maps have also been found in folding format and may have been sold individually before the publication of the atlas. Smith's maps were well designed and accurate, making use of the large scale county surveys of the previous half-century. The atlas was a commercial success and was up-dated and re-published regularly until c1865 (the latter editions produced by lithographic transfer). This example is from the 1808 second edition, and is in bright and original full colour.
Ref: DEV 158
 
M. Leigh S. Hall    Leigh's New Pocket Atlas of England and Wales 1820-31
£25
12.5 x 7cm


This entry into the popular market for miniature atlases and road books was first published by M.A. Leigh in 1820 under the title Leigh's New Pocket Atlas of England and Wales. The maps were engraved by Sidney Hall. There were several later editions up to 1843, under slightly changed titles. This example dates from between 1820 and 1831 (so dated by Leigh's address - 18 Strand - in the imprint).
Ref: DEV 031
 
J. Barclay T. Moule    Barclay's Universal English Dictionary 1852 (1837)
£60
24.5 x 18.5cm


Thomas Moule's antiquarian leanings are evident in this series of highly decorative county maps - a stylistic throwback in an age when cartographic work had become much plainer and more utilitarian. The maps were engraved by W. Smollinger, J. Bingley and J. Dower, and first appeared in Moule's English Counties Delineated, a partwork with text issued from 1830-32. They were subsequently made available as a complete work in 1837 under the same title, and were later re-issued in Barclay's Universal English Dictionary between 1842 and 1852. This latter work ran to several editions and the maps were often updated between editions to show the latest growth of the railway network. This example in modern colour is from the 1852 edition of Barclay's Dictionary. Supplied mounted and ready to frame.
Ref: DEV 163
 
B. Clarke R. Rowe    The British Gazetteer 1852 (1816)
£30
40.5 x 33.5cm


These maps first appeared in Rowe's English Atlas of 1816, being subsequently acquired by a succession of later publishers and used in a variety of their works. They were modified and updated during this time. This example is the second lithographic transfer for Clarke's British Gazetteer, published in 1852 by H.G. Collins. The map was folded and trimmed just within the bottom right hand border to fit the volume, but has been re-margined with old paper to facilitate mounting if so desired. An unobtrusive repaired tear 1 cm within the right hand border.Modern hand colour.
Ref: DEV 1157
 
E. Bowen J. Owen    Britannia Depicta 1720 -64
£60
12 x 18.5cm


Britannia Depicta was one of 3 pocket-sized reductions of Ogilby's road book that appeared within an 18 month time-frame between 1719 and 1720. It was more innovative than the others in including much additional topographical and historical information (researched by John Owen). It also included a set of English and Welsh county maps as well as the road maps, all of which were engraved by Emanuel Bowen.The work was a commercial success and ran to many later editions. This is the second state of the map..
Ref: DEV 028
 
R. Morden    Magna Britannia et Hibernia 1716/1720
£75
21 x 17.5cm


Morden's set of smaller maps may originally have been drawn and engraved for Camden's Britannia, but rejected as too small. They were first published in 1701 in The New Description and State of England. This example is from Magna Britannia et Hibernia, originally issued as a 92 part topographical work between 1714 and 1731, but gradually also made available in 6 finished, bound volumes. The text and map of Devon first appeared in the September 1716 number of the partwork, and subsequently in Volume 1 of the bound work with a title-page date of 1720. There was a later edition of the complete work in 1739. Original outline colour.
Ref: DEV 037
 
H. Fisher    Fisher's County Atlas of England and Wales c1845
£45
50.5 x 36cm


This atlas project was initiated by James Gilbert in 1842 with the first 7 maps being drawn and engraved by Joshua Archer, but was then taken over over by Fisher, Son & Co. and subsequent maps (including the map of Devonshire) were engraved by F.P. Becker & Co. Most of the maps are single page, but that of Devonshire is given a double page. Original outline colour. Minor repair to lower centrefold split and two pinholes.
Ref: DEV 1689
 
J. Walker R. Creighton    View of the Representative History of England 1835
£22
23 x 18.5cm


This work was published in 1835 as a companion volume to Lewis's Topographic Dictionary. It contains county and borough maps, drawn by R. Creighton and engaved by J.& C. Walker, and was designed to show the electoral and boundary changes effected by the 1832 Reform Act. There were 2 issues of the work in 1835 and 1840, this example of the county map being from the 1835 first edition. Original outline colour.
Ref: DEV 004
 
A. Perrot    L'Angleterre, ou Description Historique et Topographique du Royaume de la Grande-Bretagne 1824-35
£95
6.5 x 11cm


The text for this French topographical work on Britain was written by George Depping, the maps being drawn by Aristide Perrot and engraved by A. Migneret. It was first published in 1824, with subsequent editions in 1828 and 1835. The maps often cover more than one county, but Devon gets a page to itself. The surrounding decorative border shows the typical produce and wares of the counties. Original outline colour.
Ref: DEV 003
 
J. Jansson    Atlas 1644
£495
49 x 38cm


The plates of Mercator's great world Atlas later passed to the Hondius family and then to Jan Jansson who all continued to issue new editions with changes and additions along the way. In 1636 Jansson issued a new German edition of the atlas in which a number of new maps of individual English counties appeared for the first time. These new maps appeared again in the 1644 Dutch edition, with the further addition of 11 more maps of English and Welsh counties, including this map of Devon. All these new county maps were subsequently revised, with the addition of coats of arms and other decorative flourishes. to better compete with the British maps in Vol 4 of Blaeu's 1645 Theatrum Orbis Terrarum. The revised versions were then re-published in Jansson's Atlas Novus of 1646.This first-state version of Devonshire is uncommon, and would be a welcome addition to any Devon collection. Repair to 1cm long lower centrefold tear, not affecting the image.
Ref: DEV 016
 
G. Humble P. van den Keere    England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland Described and Abridged ….from a Farr Larger Volume Done by John Speed 1627-65 (c1605)
£90
12.5 x 8.5cm


Around 1599 Peter Van Den Keere began engraving a set of miniature British maps (based on Saxton). These were first published in Amsterdam in c1605. By 1619 the plates had passed to the London bookseller George Humble, who revised them (changing Latin county names to English), but also engraved new plates to replace those counties grouped together on one map in the originals. The original van den Keere plate had Devonshire as an individual county and so was retained, but with the county name revised to it's English version. Humble's first issue of the maps was in 1619. For his second edition of 1627 English text was added to the verso of the maps. All the maps are generally referred to as by Van den Keere, but Skelton doubts this attribution for the newly engraved versions. The atlas went through several later editions until 1676. This example dates from between 1627 and 1665 (the plate number being changed to (9) from the edition of 1627, but before the later development of cracks to the printing plate).
Ref: DEV 032
 
Anon.    Source Publication Unknown c1850-1900?
£18
11.5 x 12.5cm


Sketch-Map of Devon. An anonymous small map of Devon from an unidentified source. It is titled simply "Sketch-Map of Devon", and is printed by lithography. Tentatively dated to the second half of the 19th century.
Ref: DEV 036
 
J. Lodge    Untitled Atlas of the English Counties c1795
£95
32 x 26cm


This was one of a set of county maps engraved by John Lodge and issued between 1787 and 1790 in The Political Magazine, and Parliamentary, Naval, Military and Literary Journal, published initially by John Murray, and later by R. Butters. The maps were subsequently collected together and re-issued as an atlas (without title page) around 1795. For this atlas edition the imprint with the publication date and engraver's and publisher's signatures was removed from the maps. This example is from the atlas edition. The maps are well engraved in the plainer style then coming into vogue. They are uncommon, and sought by collectors.
Ref: DEV 039
 

Topographical prints - other areas

A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£10
24.5 x 15cm


Exeter. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. This print offers a perspective of Exeter from the south west.
Ref: TOP 082
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£7
24.5 x 16.5cm


Tavistock Abbey. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. Tavistock Abbey was first founded in 961, though it had to rebuilt twice and most of the later buildings dated from the 15th century. It was a Benedictine foundation, located in the centre of the modern town of Tavistock. After the dissolution of the monasteries it fell graduallly into disrepair, was robbed of much of its stone, and the site rebuilt on. Today a few buidings from the complex survive, including the refectory, 2 gateways and a porch. This print has a little marginal foxing which would be hidden by a mount.
Ref: TOP 085
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£10
22 x 33.5cm


Mount Edgecumbe & Plymouth Docks. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. Mount Edgecombe is a promontary on the west bank of the river Tamar looking across Plymouth Sound to the modern dockyards and city beyond. It gets its name from the Edgecumbe family whose estate was here located. Edgecumbe House and its grounds are now jointly owned by Cornwall and Plymouth Councils and are open to the public. St. Nicolas Island from where the first view is taken is now known as Drake's Island. Two prints on one sheet - a little foxing to the margins which would be hidden by a mount.
Ref: TOP 084
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£10
22 x 33cm


Dartmouth Castle. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784
Ref: TOP 083
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£7
15 x 10cm


Exeter Cathedral. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically two (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Exeter became the seat of the Saxon bishop of Devon and Cornwall in 1050, but the Norman cathedral was not founded until 1133, and not completed until c1400 due to changes in architectural taste. This print was engraved by Thornton. A little foxing to the margins.
Ref: TOP 251
 
B. Clarke    The British Gazetteer 1852
£8
20 x 14.5cm


Ivy Bridge Viaduct - South Devon Railway. The British Gazetteer was authored by B. Clarke and published by H.G. Collins in 1852. Apart from topographical text listings, it included a set of county maps (originally by Rowe and a small series of railway prints after drawings by J.F. Burrell. Ivybridge is a small town about 9 miles east of Plymouth and standing on the River Erme. The South Devon Railway chose to route its line between Exeter and Plymouth via the town, spanning the river with an impressive viaduct built by Brunel in 1848. This was replaced by a new viaduct in 1892/3, but the granite piers of Brunel's original still remain.This print was engraved by A. Ashley. Some waterstains to the vertical margins, which could be mostly hidden by judicious mounting.
Ref: TOP 1491