Copperplate

Lincolnshire : 23 items

Maps

J. Speed    Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine 1612-76 (1612)
£675
51.5 x 38.5cm


John Speed's maps of the English and Welsh counties are amongst the most decorative of early, British cartographic work, and are eagerly sought after today. They were first published in 1612 in The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine, designed as a companion volume to Speed's History of Great Britaine. The maps were based on the earlier surveys of Saxton, Norden and a few others, with engraving contracted to Jodocus Hondius whose signature appears on 33 of the maps. Speed's greatest innovation was the inclusion of inset plans of major towns and cities. Although some were copied from earlier work, for many towns this was first plan ever published. Speed's county atlas was re-issued a number of times for a period of around 160 years, with new publishers making various small changes and updates to the maps over time. This example bears no publishers' imprint and therefore dates from 1612-1654 (the next edition by Roger Rea in c1665 bears his name as publisher). A clean impression with attractive colouring. Small repair to lower centrefold.
Ref: LIN 360
 
J. Blaeu    Theatrum Orbis Terrarum 1645-62 (1645)
£320
49.5 x 41.5cm


The Blaeu family were one of the leading Dutch map producers of the 17th century. Their major work was a multi volume world atlas initiated by Willem Blaeu and expanded by his son Joan. Their maps were beautifully designed and engraved, and are often found with original colour, making them most desirable to collectors. 1645 saw the first publication of volume 4 of the atlas, containing maps of England and Wales. There were several re-issues between then and 1672 when most of Blaeu's plates were lost in a fire which engulfed his Amsterdam premises. The Latin text to the verso dates this example to the editions of 1645, 1648, or 1662. Original colour. Repair to bottom centrefold outside the printed area.
Ref: LIN 361
 
R. Blome    Britannia 1673
£230
27 x 32cm


Originally intended as volume 3 of a larger cartographic project (The English Atlas), Richard Blome's Britannia was published alone in 1673. A rare second edition was issued in 1677. This Lincolnshire map is from the first edition of the work, and was dedicated to Robert Bertie, Earl of Lindsey and Lord Lieutenant of the county of Lincolnshire. In return for his patronage of Blome's project Rpbert received this dedication on the county map, and also appeared in the list of the nobility and gentry of the county, his coat of arms being further included amongst the 816 illustrated in the volume. Two unobtrusive. repaired tears to the right hand margin entering the printed area by c2cms.
Ref: LIN 037
 
H. Overton    Overton "made-up" atlas 1712
£650
48 x 39cm


Uncoloured. Minor old vertical crease, but otherwise in very good condition. Henry Overton inherited his father's business in 1707. Stock included a number of plates for county maps, but not a complete set, and Overton had to buy in the missing counties from elsewhere to make up orders for county atlases for clients. In 1711 he employed Sutton Nicholls to engrave plates of the "missing" counties and 5 were completed including this map of Lincolnshire. The project was abandoned in c 1713 when Overton acquired the complete set of John Speed plates, which were then used to fill the remaining "gaps" in making up atlases. The Lincolnshire map is based, stylistically and topographically, upon Jansson, but with notable revisions and alterations. Copies are rarely encountered.
Ref: LIN 363
 
H. Moll    A Set of Fifty New and Correct Maps of the Counties of England and Wales / A New Description of England and Wales 1724-39
£95
19.5 x 32cm


Herman Moll's maps of the English and Welsh counties were originally designed to illustrate the topographical work entitled A New Description of England and Wales which was first issued in 1724. The publishers (Moll himself, the Bowles brothers and C. Rivington) decided to also put them out as an atlas volume without text, which also appeared in 1724 under the title A Set of Fifty New and Correct Maps of the Counties of England and Wales. There were various later editions of both formats, the last in 1753. This example bears the plate number 28 which dates it to one of the earlier atlas editions of 1724 or 1739, or to the serialised re-issue of A New Description ... in 1733. The Lincolnshire map is interesting for the tide table which takes the place of the usual Roman antiquities. Moll copied this from the Lincolnshire map drawn and engraved by Sutton Nicholls for John Overton in around 1712.
Ref: LIN 011
 
T. Kitchin    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1789 (1751)
£53
16.5 x 21.5cm


This map was first published in the January 1751 edition of the London Magazine, which between 1747 and 1754 issued a complete set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin. The maps were later re-published by Alexander Hogg in Boswell's Antiquities of England & Wales, initially in partwork from c 1787-9, and then in several complete editions of the work up to 1798. This example of the Lincolnshire map is from the first complete edition of Boswell's Antiquities dating from c1789.
Ref: LIN 040
 
E. Bowen    Large English Atlas 1767-80 (1751)
£250
70 x 52.5cm


This new series of maps was commenced in 1749, with maps sold singly until the last counties were completed and the full series issued in 1760 as the Large English Atlas. Lincolnshire was first issued in 1751. The imprint of Robert Sayer and Carington Bowles dates this example to the editions of c1767-1780. Original outline colour.
Ref: LIN 004
 
J. Cary    New and Correct English Atlas 1809 (1787)
£24
21 x 26cm


The last decades of the 18th century saw less emphasis being placed on the traditions of decorative mapmaking in favour of a plainer style and design. Foremost amongst this new wave of "modern" cartographers and engravers was John Cary. The New and Correct English Atlas was Cary's first major production as a publisher in his own account. The maps were not only clearly and elegantly drawn and engraved, but also set new standards in accuracy in taking advantage of all the new large-scale county surveys of the second half of the 18th century. The atlas was first published in 1787, with a re-issue in 1793. By 1808 the plates were well worn, and the engraving of a new set was begun. The next dated edition of 1809, from which this example comes, utilised these new plates. Original outline colour.
Ref: LIN 367
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas 1808 (1804)
£75
42.5 x 48.5cm


Charles Smith was a successful London publisher and map-seller, whose work is stylistically very similar to that of John Cary. His large format New English Atlas first came to market in 1804, but many of the maps have also been found in folding format and may have been sold individually before the publication of the atlas. Smith's maps were well designed and accurate, making use of the large scale county surveys of the previous half-century. The atlas was a commercial success and was up-dated and re-published regularly until c1865 (the latter editions produced by lithographic transfer). This example is from the 1808 second edition, and is in bright and original full colour.
Ref: LIN 370
 
B. Capper    Topographical Dictionary of the UK 1808
£11
10 x 18cm


Benjamin Pitts Capper was the author of this topographical directory, first published by R. Phillips in 1808. The maps were engraved, and possibly drawn by H. Cooper. Later editions of the work carry the imprint of G.and W.B. Whittaker who re-published the book from 1825-34. This example is from the first edition of 1808, with the hundreds shown in original, full wash colour.
Ref: LIN 371
 
J. Cary    New English Atlas 1811 (1809)
£75
48 x 54cm


It is suprising that Cary's large county atlas was issued as late as 1809, as individual maps from it seem to have been sold singly from 1801. The atlas format was perhaps to compete with the similarly sized atlas of Charles Smith, which went under the same title and was published in 1804. It is perhaps Cary's finest production, the maps being notable for their fine design, detail and engraving. The atlas ran to several later editions by Cary, and the plates were later used for a variety of lithographic transfers by G.F. Cruchley. This example is from the second edition of 1811, and is in original full colour.
Ref: LIN 372
 
S. Hall    A New British Atlas 1833-36 (1831)
£15
19 x 24cm


First published by Chapman and Hall in 1831 in John Gorton's A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland, and subsequently in A New British Atlas and in A Travelling County Atlas with lithographic transfers until 1875. The absence of railway information suggests this is an early copy of the Lincolnshire map, from an edition of A New British Atlas between 1833 and 1836. Modern colour. Trimmed to the top and bottom borders with loss of the publishers imprint.
Ref: LIN 025
 
J. Barclay T. Moule    Barclay's Universal English Dictionary 1842-52 (1837)
£48
20 x 26cm


Thomas Moule's antiquarian leanings are evident in this series of highly decorative county maps - a stylistic throwback in an age when cartographic work had become much plainer and more utilitarian. The maps were engraved by W. Smollinger, J. Bingley and J. Dower, and first appeared in Moule's English Counties Delineated, a partwork with text issued from 1830-32. They were subsequently made available as a complete work in 1837 under the same title, and were later re-issued in Barclay's Universal English Dictionary between 1842 and 1852. This latter work ran to several editions and the maps were often updated between editions to show the latest growth of the railway network. This example in modern colour is from the 1842 edition of Barclay's Dictionary, and is supplied mounted and ready for framing.
Ref: LIN 027
 
J. Duncan    A Complete County Atlas of England and Wales 1840-45 (1825)
£40
34 x 43.5cm


Coloured. These maps were first published in 1825, and probably sold singly. In 1833 they were re-published by James Duncan in a thematic atlas to illustrate the representative changes brought about by the 1832 Reform Act. There were later re-issues in 1840 and 1845 with the addition of railways, and this map dates from one of these editions.
Ref: LIN 1107
 
A. Fullarton    The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840-49 (1833)
£18
18.5 x 25cm


These maps were first published by Fullarton and Co. in 1833 in James Bell's New and Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales which was re-issued three times in the 1830's. They were subsequently re-published (again by Fullarton) in 1840 in The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales, with several further re-issues up to 1849. The maps were engraved on steel and sometimes bear the name of the engraver and sometimes not. This example is from the Parliamentary Gazetteer and bears the signature of Gray & Son as engravers. Slight crease at the cetrefold.
Ref: LIN 031
 
J. Archer    Dugdale's England and Wales Delineated 1846 or 1847 (1842)
£15
18 x 24cm


This map first appeared in 1842 in Dugdale's Curiosities of Great Britain, England and Wales Delineated. This copy is from the 1846 ot 1847 editions of the work, for which the original imprint below the border, "Engraved for Dugdale's England and Wales Delineated" was removed. The same set of maps were later also used in other publications such as Barclay's Universal English Dictionary, and Tallis's Topographical Dictionary of England and Wales. Original outline colour and supplied mounted..
Ref: LIN 020
 
W. Hollar    The History of Imbanking and Draining of Divers Fens and Marshes 1724 (1661)
£150
37 x 32cm


Sir William Dugdale's work on fen management was first published in 1662, with maps supplied by Wenceslas Hollar. This map of East and West Fen to the north and north-east of Boston is dated 1661, but is from the 1724 edition of the book. A few light brown marks.
Ref: LIN 1692
 
J. Walker R. Creighton    View of the Representative History of England 1835
£19
19 x25cm


This work was published in 1835 as a companion volume to Lewis's Topographic Dictionary. It contains county and borough maps, drawn by R. Creighton and engaved by J.& C. Walker, and was designed to show the electoral and boundary changes effected by the 1832 Reform Act. There were 2 issues of the work in 1835 and 1840, this example of the county map being from the 1835 first edition. Original outline colour.
Ref: LIN 006
 
T. Murray    An Atlas of the English Counties 1830
£35
36 x 45.5cm


The title page of Murray's county atlas states that the maps were "Projected on the basis of the Trigonometrical Survey by order of the hon.ble The Board of Ordnance, under the superindendance of T.L. Murray". This might seem to imply the project had at least the official blessing, if not the active involvement of the Ordnance Survey, but is more likely to be a marketing puff. D. Hodson has suggested that the maps were copied from those of William Ebden published from 1825-8, both sets also being engraved by the same firm of Hoare & Reeves. Murray's Atlas was first published in 1830, with second and third editions in 1831 and 1832, the latter with the adddition of electoral data. by 1838 the plates had been acquired by W. Robson & Co. who published and sold the maps individually, and also used them in their commercial directories. This example is from the first edition of 1830. Original colour.
Ref: LIN 010
 
E. Bowen T. Bowen    Royal English Atlas c1764
£250
40.5 x 50cm


The Royal English Atlas was probably an attempt to repeat the commercial success of The Large English Atlas, with a somewhat smaller format. The maps were again engraved by Kitchin and Bowen, and the partners in the enterprise were based around the consortium that had finally brought out The Large English Atlas in 1760. This time, however, they misjudged the market, and although there were some later re-issues of the atlas, the modern rarity of the maps suggests it was not very successful. This example is from the first edition, and is in original outline colour.
Ref: LIN 005
 

Town Plans

T. Moule    Moule's English Counties Delineated 1837-39
£20
18 x 25cm


Boston. Thomas Moule's antiquarian leanings are evident in this series of highly decorative county maps - a stylistic throwback in an age when cartographic work had become much plainer and more utilitarian. The maps were engraved by W. Smollinger, J. Bingley and J. Dower, and first appeared in Moule's English Counties Delineated, a partwork with text issued from 1830-32. They were subsequently made available as a complete work in 1837 under the same title, and were later re-issued in Barclay's Universal English Dictionary between 1842 and 1852. This latter work ran to several editions and the maps were often updated between editions to show the latest growth of the railway network. As well as county maps the set also included a small number of town plans, though all of these did not appear in every edition of the work. This plan of Boston, engraved by W. Smollinger, is from an edition of Moule's English Counties Delineated between 1837 and 1839. Modern colour.
Ref: TWN 145
 

Topographical prints - other areas

A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£12
23 x 34.5cm


Leicester and Lincoln. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. This print offers views of two East Midlands cities. Both were important Roman towns, built on or near the sites of earlier tribal capitals. Leicester's Roman name was Ratae Coritanorum, and Lincoln's was Lindum Colonia. The 2 views could be separated and separately mounted, as indicated by the images.
 
Anon.    Principaux Monuments Gothiques de l'Europe 1841
£90
51 x 66.5cm


Lincoln Cathedral. Gustave Simonau, the engraver of this large print, was brought up in London where he studied painting and lithography before moving to Brussels in c1830. He was a major figure in 19th century watercolour and lithography media. Between 1838 and 1943 he produced a very large set of lithographs of European cathedrals and churches built in the Gothic style, including 5 of English cathedrals. The set was published by his father's lithographic company in 1843 under the title given. This fine example from the set is of Lincoln cathedral, and is dated 1841. It is printed on thick paper, and has been trimmed at the bottom resulting in the removal of the subject title, but leaving the lithographer and publisher's signatures. Slight loss to the white margins at two of the corners, not affecting the printed area.
Ref: TOP 492