Copperplate

Leicestershire : 26 items

Maps

W. Kip    Camden's Britannia 1637 (1607)
£30
36.5 x 29cm


The first five editions of William Camden's successful history and topography of Britain were without maps, but for the sixth edition of 1607 the engravers William Hole and William Kip were commissioned to provide a set of maps of the counties of England and Wales, plus 3 general maps of the countries comprising the new "United Kingdom". These maps were retained for the subsequent 1610 and 1637 editions. They are based on the earlier cartography of Saxton, Norden, Smith and Owen. This example of Kip's Leicestershire map is from the 1637 edition. Modern hand colour. Some slight loss to the top-left corner, which has been restored in facsimile. Priced accordingly.
Ref: LEI 014
 
J. Speed    Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine 1612-14 (1612)
£470
50.5 x 38cm


John Speed's maps of the English and Welsh counties are amongst the most decorative of early, British cartographic work, and are eagerly sought after today. They were first published in 1612 in The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine, designed as a companion volume to Speed's History of Great Britaine. The maps were based on the earlier surveys of Saxton, Norden and a few others, with engraving contracted to Jodocus Hondius whose signature appears on 33 of the maps. Speed's greatest innovation was the inclusion of inset plans of major towns and cities. Although some were copied from earlier work, for many towns this was first plan ever published. Speed's county atlas was re-issued a number of times for a period of around 160 years, with new publishers making various small changes and updates to the maps over time. This example bears the imprint of Sudbury and Humble, making it an early example from the editions of 1611 or 1614. Repair to centrefold split.
Ref: LEI 342
 
R. Morden    Camden's Britannia 1695
£110
42 x 36cm


Camden's Britannia - a history and topography of Britain - was first published in 1586 and had a long and successful publication history. County maps by Kip and Hole were addded in 1607, and these also appeared in the editions of 1610 and 1637. Over 50 year's later it was decided to issue a new and updated edition. The original Latin text was re-translated by Edmund Gibson, and Robert Morden was commissioned to provide a new set of county and general maps in a more modern style. The revised work was issued in 1695. There were 4 further editions of the Gibson/Morden work, the last in 1772, before a further updated version by Richard Gough was launched in 1789, with new maps by John Cary. This example is from the first Gibson edition of 1695. Repair to bottom centrefold.
Ref: LEI 343
 
R. Morden    Camden's Britannia 1695-1772
£110
42 x 36cm


Camden's Britannia - a history and topography of Britain - was first published in 1586 and had a long and successful publication history. County maps by Kip and Hole were addded in 1607, and these also appeared in the editions of 1610 and 1637. Over 50 year's later it was decided to issue a new and updated edition. The original Latin text was re-translated by Edmund Gibson, and Robert Morden was commissioned to provide a new set of county and general maps in a more modern style. The revised work was issued in 1695. There were 4 further editions of the Gibson/Morden work, the last in 1772, before a further updated version by Richard Gough was launched in 1789, with new maps by John Cary. This example is from one of the Gibson editions.
Ref: LEI 344
 
F. Grose J. Seller    The Antiquities of England & Wales 1787-1809 (1695)
£25
14.5 x 12.5cm


With descriptive text below and to verso. In 1695 John Seller published a county atlas titled Anglia Contracta. The plates were much later acquired by Francis Grose, revised, and used in a supplement to his partwork on British antiquities. The supplement with maps was first published in 1787, and ran to several later editions.
Ref: LEI 345
 
E. Bowen    Large English Atlas 1756-60 (1756)
£180
69 x 52.5cm


Map includes Rutland. Original outline colour. Some old folds with a pinhole where they meet within the upper right text block. Some repaired marginal tears not affecting the printed area. This new series of maps was commenced in 1749, with maps sold singly until the last counties were completed and the full series issued in 1760 as the Large English Atlas. Leicestershire-Rutland was first issued in 1756. J.Tinney's name on the imprint dates this copy to the first edition of the atlas in 1760 or earlier.
Ref: LEI 348
 
G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£33
22 x 11cm


The New British Traveller was originally issued as a weekly partwork by the publisher Alexander Hogg, commencing in 1783. Once the series of 60 parts was completed in 1784 title pages were provided for the pages to be bound in a single volume. The work is a topographical review of Great Britain, containing numerous prints and a set of county and general maps. The maps are of varying sizes, being typically arranged 2,3 or 4 to a single page, with adjoining borders. When separated this means individual maps will be trimmed to the border on one or two sides and are often re-margined for mounting and framing. The map of Leicestershire and Rutland is re-margined on two sides and sold ready-mounted. The text pages for the county may be available on request at no extra charge.
Ref: LEI 015
 
J. Cary    New and Correct English Atlas 1809 (1787)
£24
21 x 26cm


The last decades of the 18th century saw less emphasis being placed on the traditions of decorative mapmaking in favour of a plainer style and design. Foremost amongst this new wave of "modern" cartographers and engravers was John Cary. The New and Correct English Atlas was Cary's first major production as a publisher in his own account. The maps were not only clearly and elegantly drawn and engraved, but also set new standards in accuracy in taking advantage of all the new large-scale county surveys of the second half of the 18th century. The atlas was first published in 1787, with a re-issue in 1793. By 1808 the plates were well worn, and the engraving of a new set was begun. The next dated edition of 1809, from which this example comes, utilised these new plates. Original outline colour.
Ref: LEI 350
 
J. Lodge    Untitled Atlas of the English Counties c1795
£85
32 x 26cm


This was one of a set of county maps engraved by John Lodge and issued between 1787 and 1790 in The Political Magazine, and Parliamentary, Naval, Military and Literary Journal, published initially by John Murray, and later by R. Butters. The maps were subsequently collected together and re-issued as an atlas (without title page) around 1795. For this atlas edition the imprint with the publication date and engraver's and publisher's signatures was removed from the maps. This example is from the atlas edition. The maps are well engraved in the plainer style then coming into vogue. They are uncommon, and sought by collectors.
Ref: LEI 003
 
B. Capper    Topographical Dictionary of the UK 1808
£11
18 x 10.5cm


Benjamin Pitts Capper was the author of this topographical directory, first published by R. Phillips in 1808. The maps were engraved, and possibly drawn by H. Cooper. Later editions of the work carry the imprint of G.and W.B. Whittaker who re-published the book from 1825-34. This example is from the first edition of 1808, with the hundreds shown in original, full wash colour.
Ref: LEI 353
 
J. Cary    New English Atlas 1811 (1809)
£75
47.5 x 53.5cm


It is suprising that Cary's large county atlas was issued as late as 1809, as individual maps from it seem to have been sold singly from 1801. The atlas format was perhaps to compete with the similarly sized atlas of Charles Smith, which went under the same title and was published in 1804. It is perhaps Cary's finest production, the maps being notable for their fine design, detail and engraving. The atlas ran to several later editions by Cary, and the plates were later used for a variety of lithographic transfers by G.F. Cruchley. This example is from the second edition of 1811, and is in original full colour.
Ref: LEI 354
 
E. Langley W. Belch    Langley's New County Atlas of England and Wales 1818
£50
25.5 x 17.5cm


Langley and Belch were in partnership from 1807 to 1820, and issued their county atlas in 1818, though individual maps may be dated slightly earlier. The maps are attractive, with topograhical vignettes (in this case Belvoir Castle), and usually found in original full wash colour. A slightly brown water-stain, but still an attractive item. Suppied mounted ready to frame.
Ref: LEI 004
 
T. Dix W. Darton    The Counties of England 1819
£145
43.5 x 35cm


Thomas Dix initiated this atlas project some time around 1816, but after his death it was carried on to completion by the publisher William Darton. The Atlas was issued in 1822, though individual maps from the first edition bear various dates between 1816 and 1821. Apart from the atlas format the maps were also sold individually, usually dissected and linen-backed and folding into boards. This example is unusual. It is an early issue, dated 1819, and is linen-backed but not dissected. It would appear to have been sold singly, and although there are old, probably original folds, there is no sign of boards. It was purchased with six other Dix county maps similarly presented, one of which bears the manuscript signature of J. Walker and the date 13th Jan 1825. The set were of contiguous eastern counties, and may have been bought by Mr Walker to assist his travels in this area. As is usually the case, the map is in attractive and original full wash colour, and all editions are relatively scarce.
Ref: LEI 010
 
C. Greenwood    Atlas of the Counties of England 1834 (1830)
£130
69.5 x 58cm


Original full colour. Repair to bottom centrefold. The Greenwoods surveyed all the counties from 1817-33 for their beautifully engraved county atlas finally published in 1834. Maps were also sold singly as produced. The Leicestershire map is corrected to 1830, and this example was sold in atlas format.
Ref: LEI 356
 
J. Barclay T. Moule    Barclay's Universal English Dictionary 1842 (1837)
£45
19.5 x 26cm


Thomas Moule's antiquarian leanings are evident in this series of highly decorative county maps - a stylistic throwback in an age when cartographic work had become much plainer and more utilitarian. The maps were engraved by W. Smollinger, J. Bingley and J. Dower, and first appeared in Moule's English Counties Delineated, a partwork with text issued from 1830-32. They were subsequently made available as a complete work in 1837 under the same title, and were later re-issued in Barclay's Universal English Dictionary between 1842 and 1852. This latter work ran to several editions and the maps were often updated between editions to show the latest growth of the railway network. This example in modern colour is from the 1842 edition of Barclay's Dictionary in which the maps are usually found close trimmed. A little marginal foxing.
Ref: LEI 357
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    View of the Representative History of England 1835
£19
19 x 24cm


This work was published in 1835 as a companion volume to Lewis's Topographic Dictionary. It contains county and borough maps, drawn by R. Creighton and engaved by J.& C. Walker, and was designed to show the electoral and boundary changes effected by the 1832 Reform Act. There were 2 issues of the work in 1835 and 1840, this example of the county map being from the 1835 first edition. Original outline colour.
Ref: LEI 003
 
J. Dower M.A. Pittman    The Sporting Magazine c1841-3
£35
18 x 22.5cm


These hunting maps, engraved by John Dower for M.A. Pittman, originally appeared in the Sporting Review magazine in the early 1840's. The full set of 24 maps were also issued as The Fox Hunter's Atlas in c1843 and c1850. A later issue of the atlas in c1857 had 28 maps. Individual folding examples have also been found in red silk covers. The maps are based on the territory of each hunt irrespective of county borders. This example is from the magazine and shows The Marquis of Hastings hunt, covering parts of Leicestershire and Derbyshire. Modern colour.
Ref: REG 1691
 
B. Clarke R. Rowe    The British Gazetteer 1852 (1816)
£20
41 x 33.5cm


These maps first appeared in Rowe's English Atlas of 1816, being subsequently acquired by a succession of later publishers and used in a variety of their works. They were modified and updated during this time. This example is the second lithographic transfer for Clarke's British Gazetteer, published in 1852 by H.G. Collins. Folded and trimmed close to bottom right hand border to fit the volume. A couple of light stains.
Ref: LEI 1175
 
T. Murray    An Atlas of the English Counties 1830
£32
45 x 35.5cm


The title page of Murray's county atlas states that the maps were "Projected on the basis of the Trigonometrical Survey by order of the hon.ble The Board of Ordnance, under the superindendance of T.L. Murray". This might seem to imply the project had at least the official blessing, if not the active involvement of the Ordnance Survey, but is more likely to be a marketing puff. D. Hodson has suggested that the maps were copied from those of William Ebden published from 1825-8, both sets also being engraved by the same firm of Hoare & Reeves. Murray's Atlas was first published in 1830, with second and third editions in 1831 and 1832, the latter with the adddition of electoral data. by 1838 the plates had been acquired by W. Robson & Co. who published and sold the maps individually, and also used them in their commercial directories. This example is from the first edition of 1830. Original colour. One repaired, marginal tear, not affecting the image.
Ref: LEI 009
 
J. Wallis S. Oddy    Wallis's New Britlish Atlas 1813
£32
26.5 x 17.5cm


James Wallis's New British Atlas was first published in 1813 by S.A. Oddy. There was a second edition in 1816. This example is from the first edition and is dated 1812 on the imprint. It is in attractive, original, full wash colour, and in good condition.
Ref: LEI 1559
 
Ordnance Survey R.O. Jones    Redistribution of Seats Act 1885 1885
£17
27.5 x 35cm


These maps by Lt. R. Owen Jones were produced by zincographic transfer to accompany the 1885 Boundary Commissioners Report showing the proposed new divisions of the counties for parliamentary and local government purposes. Once the Act had passed they were re-issued as part of the Parliamentary Accounts and Papers for the session of 23 October 1884-14 August 1885. This example is from this re-issue, so distinguished by a small piece of paper stuck over the word "proposed" (the changes having now passed into law.) Original colour.
Ref: LEI 1662
 
M. Leigh S. Hall    Leigh's New Pocket Atlas of England and Wales 1820-31
£20
7 x 12cm


Leigh's Pocket Atlas was first published in 1820, although there were several re-issues (with the word "Pocket" dropped from the title) up to 1843. This example is the first state, from one of the earlier issues, so designated by the imprint of S. Leigh (rather than the later M.A. Leigh) and his address as 18 Strand. Original wash colour.
Ref: LEI 006
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas (reduced maps) 1828/1833 (1822)
£32
23 x 19cm


In 1822 Charles Smith issued a county atlas with maps based on his larger county maps which had been in circulation for over 20 years. The new maps were smaller in scale, but the atlas bore the same title as that in which his larger maps appeared. They are clearly drawn and engraved, but although there were several editions of the atlas, they are today amongst the rarer of the 18th century county maps. This example is from the edition of 1828 or 1833, in which the maps have no date in the imprint, but before railways were added for the edition of 1844. Original outline colour.
Ref: LEI 007
 
H. Teesdale R. Rowe    New British Atlas 1830 (1812-14)
£32
41 x 34cm


This detailed and well engraved map was one of a set first published around 1812-14 by Robert Rowe, who was probably also their draftsman and engraver. The maps were initially sold singly in folding format until their collective issue in 1816 as The English Atlas. The plates were later acquired by Henry Teesdale, who amended titles and imprints and re-issued the work as the New British Atlas in 1829, with several re-issues up to 1842. The plates were later acquired and used by H.G. Collins and then by G. Philip and Son, who both used them as the base for lithographic transfers for a variety of works up to c1860. This example is from the 1830 second edition of Teesdale's atlas. Original wash colour. One short, repaired, marginal tear, not affecting the printed image.
Ref: LEI 008
 

Topographical prints - other areas

A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£12
23 x 34.5cm


Leicester and Lincoln. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. This print offers views of two East Midlands cities. Both were important Roman towns, built on or near the sites of earlier tribal capitals. Leicester's Roman name was Ratae Coritanorum, and Lincoln's was Lindum Colonia. The 2 views could be separated and separately mounted, as indicated by the images.
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£8
18.5 x 14.5cm


Grace Dieu Priory. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically 2 (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Grace Dieu Priory, near Thringstone in NW Leicestershire, was founded as an Augustinian Priory by Roesia de Verdon around 1235-41. After the dissolution of the monasteries it was converted to a private residence, before most of the buildings on the site were demolished in the late 17th century. The ruins of the Priory still survive in private ownership. This print, engraved by Hawkins, is supplied with the original, accompanying text from the work.
Ref: TOP 351