Copperplate

Surrey : 38 items

Maps

R. Blome    England Exactly Described 1731 (1681)
£85
21 x 14.5cm


Blome's smaller series of county maps have a puzzling history. They seem to have been initiated before his larger maps for Britannia, but were not published until 1681 when they appeared under the title Speed's Maps Epitomiz'd. Blome re-issued them twice before his death in 1705, under new titles and sometimes with changed dedications (as was the case with the Surrey map). The plates were subsequently acquired by Thomas Taylor who brought out a new edition in 1715 titled England Exactly Described. The final issue of the work was by Thomas Bakewell in 1731. The presence of plate numbers and roads, and presence of his signature dates this example to the 1731 Bakewell edition of the work. To mount.
Ref: SUR 018
 
H. Moll    A New Description of England and Wales 1724
£95
31.5 x 19cm


The absence of a plate number on this map suggests in emanates from the first publication of Moll's county maps together with text as A New Description of England and Wales. It was also shortly afterwards issued in atlas format, for which plate numbers were added. There were several later editions in both formats. The addition of the view of London Bridge to the Surrey map, is an interesting variation of the Roman antiquities which usually decorate the borders. Light foxing, but still an attractive copy, and priced accordingly. Mounted.
Ref: SUR 011
 
J. Ellis    Ellis's English Atlas 1766 (1765)
£95
25 x 19.5cm


Joseph Ellis's English Atlas was an entry into the market for small county atlases by its publishers Robert Sayer and Carington Bowles. The county maps were closely based upon those drawn by Thomas Kitchin for the 1763 topographical work England Illustrated, the major difference being the attractive vignettes which replaced Kitchin's rococco cartouches. The atlas was first published in 1765, and soon became a commercial success, running to many later editions. It was promoted as a travelling atlas, and made available in various formats. These included a version with the maps printed back to back on each page, as with this example from a 1766 edition which has a map of Sussex on the reverse.
Ref: SUR 679
 
G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£35
18 x 11cm


The New British Traveller was originally issued as a weekly partwork by the publisher Alexander Hogg, commencing in 1783. Once the series of 60 parts was completed in 1784 title pages were provided for the pages to be bound in a single volume. The work is a topographical review of Great Britain, containing numerous prints and a set of county and general maps. The maps are of varying sizes, being typically arranged 2,3 or 4 to a single page, with adjoining borders. When separated this means individual maps will be trimmed to the border on one or two sides and are often re-margined for mounting and framing. The map of Surrey is re-margined on two sides and sold ready-mounted. The text pages for the county may be available on request at no extra charge.
Ref: SUR 010
 
J. Aiken    England Delineated 1790
£25
13.5 x 9.5cm


John Aikin (or Aiken) wrote this topographical work for children in order "to make my young countrymen better acquainted than they are usually found to be with their native land". The first edition of 1788 did not include county maps, but these were added for the second edition of 1790, from which this example comes. The work was published by Joseph Johnson, but the maps are unsigned. There were four later editions of the book with the maps, and one without. The Surrey map is fairly simple, befitting the needs of its target audience, and the text may be available at no extra charge.
Ref: SUR 681
 
B. Capper    Topographical Dictionary of the UK 1808
£21
17.5 x 10.5cm


Benjamin Pitts Capper was the author of this topographical directory, first published by R. Phillips in 1808. The maps were engraved, and possibly drawn by H. Cooper. Later editions of the work carry the imprint of G.and W.B. Whittaker who re-published the book from 1825-34. This example is from the first edition of 1808, with the hundreds shown in original, full wash colour.
Ref: SUR 682
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas (reduced maps) 1828/1833 (1822)
£45
23 x 19cm


In 1822 Charles Smith issued a county atlas with maps based on his larger county maps which had been in circulation for over 20 years. The new maps were smaller in scale, but the atlas bore the same title as that in which his larger maps appeared. They are clearly drawn and engraved, but although there were several editions of the atlas, they are today amongst the rarer of the 18th century county maps. This example is from the edition of 1828 or 1833, in which the maps have no date in the imprint, but before railways were added for the edition of 1844. Original outline colour.
Ref: SUR 009
 
T. Dix W. Darton    Sold individually in card covers titled simply "Surrey" c1835 (1822)
£175
45.5 x 35.5cm


Thomas Dix initiated this atlas project some time around 1816, but after his death it was carried on to completion by the publisher William Darton. The finished atlas (titled A Complete Atlas of the English Counties) was issued in 1822, though first editions of individual maps bear various dates between 1816 and 1821. The atlas was re-published in 1835 under a new title and with a number of changes to the maps. Around this time the maps were also offered for sale individually, dissected and linen-backed, and folding into card covers, as with this example. They are very attractive, with topographical vignettes and in original full wash colour, and are relatively scarce.
Ref: SUR 007
 
C. Greenwood    Atlas of the Counties of England 1834 (1829)
£105
67.5 x 56cm


The Greenwoods surveyed all the counties from 1817-33 for their beautifully engraved county atlas finally published in 1834. Maps were also sold singly as produced. The Surrey map is corrected to 1829, and this example's centrefold suggests it was sold in atlas format. Original full wash colour. The maps has a number repairs - mostly to marginal tears, but also to one longer tear entering the left-hand border by 14cms. These have been professionally done, and strengthened by the whole map being laid down onto another matching sheet of paper. The map would still mount up and frame well, with most of these repairs then not being seen. Priced accordingly.
Ref: SUR 685
 
T. Murray    An Atlas of the English Counties 1830
£15
45 x 35.5cm


The title page of Murray's county atlas states that the maps were "Projected on the basis of the Trigonometrical Survey by order of the hon.ble The Board of Ordnance, under the superindendance of T.L. Murray". This might seem to imply the project had at least the official blessing, if not the active involvement of the Ordnance Survey, but is more likely to be a marketing puff. D. Hodson has suggested that the maps were copied from those of William Ebden published from 1825-8, both sets also being engraved by the same firm of Hoare & Reeves. Murray's Atlas was first published in 1830, with second and third editions in 1831 and 1832, the latter with the adddition of electoral data. by 1838 the plates had been acquired by W. Robson & Co. who published and sold the maps individually, and also used them in their commercial directories. This example is from the first edition of 1830. Original colour. Two repaired tears, just entering border, a printer's crease, and restoration to top-right corner margin. Priced accordingly.
Ref: SUR 013
 
J. Barclay T. Moule    Barclay's Universal English Dictionary 1842-52 (1837)
£85
26 x 20cm


Thomas Moule's antiquarian leanings are evident in this series of highly decorative county maps - a stylistic throwback in an age when cartographic work had become much plainer and more utilitarian. The maps were engraved by W. Smollinger, J. Bingley and J. Dower, and first appeared in Moule's English Counties Delineated, a partwork with text issued from 1830-32. They were subsequently made available as a complete work in 1837 under the same title, and were later re-issued in Barclay's Universal English Dictionary between 1842 and 1852. This latter work ran to several editions and the maps were often updated between editions to show the latest growth of the railway network. This example in modern colour is from one of the editions of Barclay's Dictionary.
Ref: SUR 006
 
J. Archer T. Johnson    Johnson's Atlas of England 1847
£50
22.5 x 16cm


Between 1832 and 1834 Joshua Archer engraved a set of maps for the serialised partwork Pinnock's Guide to Knowledge. The maps were unusual in being relief printed from wooden blocks to give a "white on black" presentation. In 1847 amended versions of the maps were re-issued in Thomas Johnson's county atlas. Various changes were made to the wood blocks (including a new "piano key" border, and the addition of railways), and printing was by lithographic transfer to give a more conventional and easier to read "black on white" presentation. The amended maps from Johnson's atlas are today something of a rarity. This example is in original wash colour and in nice condition.
Ref: SUR 005
 
B.R. Davies J. Cassell    Cassell's British Atlas 1865 (c1862)
£24
42 x 30.5cm


Benjamin Rees Davies first drew this map for the Weekly Dispatch newspaper as part of a series published between 1857 and 1863. The maps were then re-issued in a complete work as The Dispatch Atlas in 1863, before the plates were acquired by the firm of Cassell, Petter and Galpin. They re-issued them as Cassell's Complete Atlas in 1863 and again in 1865, with the addition of statistical information, in Cassell's British Atlas, and in Cassell's Topographical Guides to individual counties. Old folds to this example suggest it is from the guide to Surrey. All editions of the maps were by lithographic transfer. Repaired tear impinging c5.5cms inside the right-hand border, and other minor repairs to marginal nicks not impinging the printed area.
Ref: SUR 1312
 
E. Bowen    Large English Atlas 1750-60 (1750)
£475
70 x 52cm


Outline colour. Framed and glazed in a brown and gold frame. Repair to bottom centrefold. A detailed and most interesting map. This new series of maps was begun in 1749, with maps being sold singly until the last counties were completed and the full series issued in 1760 as the Large English Atlas. Surrey was first issued in 1750. John Tinney's name on the imprint dates this example to the first issue of the atlas in 1760 or earlier.
Ref: SUR 1130
 
J. Lodge    Untitled Atlas of the English Counties c1795
£115
32.5 x 25.5cm


This was one of a set of county maps engraved by John Lodge and issued between 1787 and 1790 in The Political Magazine, and Parliamentary, Naval, Military and Literary Journal, published initially by John Murray, and later by R. Butters. The maps were subsequently collected together and re-issued as an atlas (without title page) around 1795. For this atlas edition the imprint with the publication date and engraver's and publisher's signatures was removed from the maps. This example is from the atlas edition. The maps are well engraved in the plainer style then coming into vogue. They are uncommon, and sought by collectors.
Ref: SUR 002
 
H. Teesdale R. Rowe    New British Atlas 1830 (1812-14)
£55
41 x 34cm


This detailed and well engraved map was one of a set first published around 1812-14 by Robert Rowe, who was probably also their draftsman and engraver. The maps were initially sold singly in folding format until their collective issue in 1816 as The English Atlas. The plates were later acquired by Henry Teesdale, who amended titles and imprints and re-issued the work as the New British Atlas in 1829, with several re-issues up to 1842. The plates were later acquired and used by H.G. Collins and then by G. Philip and Son, who both used them as the base for lithographic transfers for a variety of works up to c1860. This example is from the 1830 second edition of Teesdale's atlas. Original wash colour.
Ref: SUR 012
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    View of the Representative History of England 1835
£20
24 x 18cm


This work was published by Samuel Lewis to show the new electoral changes wrought by the 1832 Reform Act. The cartographer was R. Creighton and the maps were engraved by J. and C. Walker. Original colour
Ref: SUR 1305
 
C. Walker    Letts Popular County Atlas 1884 (1837)
£28
40 x 32cm


This map was engraved by J. & C. Walker, and first appeared in their British Atlas of 1837. Lithographic transfers were later taken for Hobson's Fox Hunting Atlas, and in 1884 for Letts Popular County Atlas. Two repaired tears at or near lower centrefold inpinging c2 cms within the border.
Ref: SUR 1306
 
J. Seller    Camden's Britannia Abridg'd 1701 (c1695)
£45
14.5 x 12cm


First published in Anglia Contracta in c1695, John Seller's maps were subsequently reissued in A History of England in 1696, and in Camden's Britannia Abridg'd in 1701. They were later re-used in the 1780's in Grose's Antiquities of England and Wales, for which titles and scale-bars were changed, the maps also being set in a page of text. The Seller/Grose maps are common, the originals by Seller much less so. This example of the Surrey map is from Camden's Britannia Abridg'd published in 1701. Modern hand colour.
Ref: SUR 017
 
W. Mackenzie    The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales 1894
£25
27.5 x 21.5cm


Weller's map was printed by lithographic transfer for this gazetteer edited by J. Brabner and published by Mackenzie in it's first and only edition in c1894. Original printed colour.
Ref: SUR 1311
 
J. Virtue    The National Gazetteer 1873 or 1875 (1868)
£20
30 x 23.5cm


William Hughes provided the maps, reproduced by lithographic transfer, for this Gazetter which was first published by Virtue in 1868. This example is from the 1873 (third) or 1875 (4th) editions to which coloured overprints were added to show county divisions. Minor repairs to lower centrefold, and to another marginal tear not impinging the printed area.
Ref: SUR 1310
 
J. Edwards    A Companion from London to Brighthelmston 1793
£125
42.5 x 27.5cm


This work by James Edwards was begun in 1787 and took around 20 years to complete, being issued in parts over that period, and as a complete work in c1797-9. The maps were based on original survey work by Edwards himself, who also acted as engraver and publisher. The 9 maps covering the route, are at the large scale of 2 inches to the mile, allowing scope for good detail, and are sectional rather than strip road maps. The work also contained town plans of Steyning, New Shoreham and Lewes. It was re-published, again in parts from 1817 to 1820 under the title Edwards's Topographical Surveys Through Surrey, Sussex and Kent, for which the maps were updated. This is sheet TP1V, dated 1793, covering the route from Effingham to Guildford via the Horsleys and East Clandon, but also showing the country up to 3 miles either side of the route including villages such as Send, Little Bookham, Shalford, Albury, Shere and Abinger Hammer. A couple of repairs to marginal tears. A rare item.
Ref: SUR 015
 
J. Wallis S. Oddy    Wallis's New Britlish Atlas
£45
26.5 x 17.5cm


James Wallis's New British Atlas was first published in 1813 by S.A. Oddy. There was a second edition in 1816. This example is from the first edition and is dated 1812 on the imprint. It is in attractive, original, full wash colour, and in good condition.
Ref: SUR 1576
 
B.R. Davies G. Bacon    New Large Scale Ordnance Atlas of the British Isles 1884-7 (c1862)
£30
45.5 x 30.5cm


Benjamin Rees Davies first drew this map for the Weekly Dispatch newspaper as part of a series published between 1857 and 1863. The subsequent history of the maps includes re-issues in The Dispatch Atlas in 1863, Cassell's Complete Atlas in 1863, Cassell's British Atlas in 1865, Bacon's County Atlas in 1869, and Bacon's New Large Scale Ordnance Atlas from 1883. This example is dated from railway evidence to one of the editions of the last-named between 1884 and 1887. All editions of the maps were by lithographic transfer. Original printed colour
Ref: SUR 1309
 
Anon.    Atlante Novissimo 1779
£95
30.5 x 20cm


Antonio Zatta was a Venetian publisher and his world atlas, the Atlante Novissimo (New Atlas) was his greatest claim to fame. It was issued in 4 volumes between the years 1779 and 1785, each volume bearing a different date. The work contained maps of just 4 English counties - Surry, Kent, Essex and Middlesex - which all appeared in Volume I, issued in 1779. They were drawn by G. Petteri and engraved by G. Zuliani, and are generally found, as here, with sparse original colour. Uncommon.
Ref: SUR 022
 
T. Kitchin    Kitchin's Pocket Atlas 1769
£95
20 x 16.5cm


Kitchin's Pocket Atlas was based on the novel concept of drawing all the county maps to a common scale. Whilst this provided a better illustation of counties' relative sizes, it meant that the overall sizes of the maps varied considerably. Smaller maps shared pages where this was practical within an alphabetical county arrangement, Surrey appearing on the same page as the map of the Scilly Isles. The atlas was not commercially successful and Kitchin issued no further editions, although the plates were later acquired by Carington Bowles who re-issued the work as Bowles's Pocket Atlas around 1778. The maps are today quite rare.
Ref: SUR 001
 
J. Edwards    A Companion from London to Brighthelmston 1787
£85
28 x 22.5cm


This work by James Edwards was begun in 1787 and took around 20 years to complete, being issued in parts over that period, and as a complete work in c1797-9. The maps were based on original survey work by Edwards himself, who also acted as engraver and publisher. The 9 maps covering the route, are at the large scale of 2 inches to the mile, allowing scope for good detail, and are sectional rather than strip road maps. The work also contained town plans of Steyning, New Shoreham and Lewes. It was re-published, again in parts from 1817 to 1820 under the title Edwards's Topographical Surveys Through Surrey, Sussex and Kent, for which the maps were updated. This sheet, dated 1787, is not one of the main route maps, but an ancilliary sheet covering two ancient hill forts just off the main route, and the road from Abinger to Ockham Glebe and beyond, on which Homeborough Camp lies. An unobtrusive ex-library blind stamp to the bottom left corner and a small repaired hole just above the mileage scale. A rare item.
Ref: SUR 014
 

Topographical prints - other areas

A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£12
17.5 x 31cm


Lambeth Palace & Westminster Abbey and St. Margaret's Church. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. Lambeth Palace sits on the south bank of the Thames, and is the London residence of the Archbishop of London. The complex has been rebuilt and extended over the centuries, with the earliest surviving part being Lollards Tower, dating from 1435-40. The first Westminster Abbey was founded by Edward the Confessor, but the present building was begun in 1245, with work continuing until 1517. The two western towers were addded by Hawksmoor between 1722 and 1745. The Abbey has been used for all royal coronations since 1066. This print, engraved by Taylor, offers two views on one sheet. Some marginal foxing and a nick to the lower margin would be hidden by a mount.
Ref: TOP 102
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£8
23.5 x 35cm


Dulwich College, and Camberwell from the Grove. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. Dulwich College is an independent, public school, founded in1619 by the Elizabethan actor, Edward Allen. It originally offered schooling for "twelve poor scholars", today risen to 1,500 rather less poor ones. At the time of this print Camberwell was still a rural village, but development had already begun along the street known as The Grove, and today the area's elegant Georgian houses have "Conservation Area" status. The print has a narrow right hand margin, but sufficient to mount.
Ref: TOP 095
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£9
23.5 x 35cm


Addington Place, Croydon, & The Royal Circus, St. George's Fields. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. Addington Place is a Palladian mansion built in the early 1770's by the Trecothic family. From 1807-1930 it was owned by the Church and used as a London residence by the Archbishops of Canterbury when its name changed from "Place" to "Palace". It is today again in private hands and run as a country club, conference and banqueting centre, and wedding venue. The Royal Circus opened on Blackfriars Road in 1782 and put on equine and canine dramas. It burnt down in 1799 and again in 1805, after which it was rebuilt as the Surrey Theatre. It was finally demolished in 1934. The Obelisk shown in the print was erected in 1771 in honour of Brass Crosby, Mayor of London. It still stands today, but the open space of St. George's Fields succumbed to development from 1780. The print has a little light marginal foxing which would be hidden by a mount.
Ref: TOP 094
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller c1787-9
£9
22 x 34.5cm


Wandsworth & the Thames, Clapham from the Common. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. This print offers two views of what were then still rural retreats for those wishing to escape the hubbub of the busy City of London - a far cry from today's London Boroughs. Some foxing the the right-hand margin and decorative border, but could be hidden by mounting within the border.
Ref: TOP 093
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£8
22 x 34cm


The Bishop of London's seat at Fulham, & Lord Stormont's House, Wandsworth. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. Fulham Palace was the residence of the Bishops of London from the early 8th century. In 1973 the Bishop's seat was relocated and the old palace became a museum, with its grounds now used as a botanic garden and allotments. The Lord Stormont here referred to was the 7th Viscount Stormont, David Murray. The family seat was at scone, but Murry needed a residence near London to pursue his political career, and chose this viilla on Wandsworth Hill, probably leased from Lady Rivers. He later became the Earl of Mansfield in 1793, inheriting Kenwood House. Two prints on one sheet. A little marginal foxing which would be hidden by a mount.
Ref: TOP 092
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£8
21.5 x 36cm


Guildford & Birmingham. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. Guildford's roots go back to Saxon times when it was an important centre housing a mint. A Norman castle was added around 1090, and an impressive 14th century guildhall is still extant. The town prospered, particularly from 1693 when the Wey Navigation opened, making Guildford the hub of an important waterway network. In the 20th century it also became a Bishop's seat and a University town, and is today the county town of Surrey. This print offers views of Guildford and Birmingham, but the views could be separated for separate framing. A little foxing to the top border and the margins.
Ref: TOP 086
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£10
22.5 x 34cm


Hampton Court & Chertsey. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. Hampton Court was constructed by Cardinal Wolsey in c1514, and passed to Henry VIII on the cardinal's fall from power in 1529. Under William and Mary the palace underwent massive extension in the Baroque style between 1688 and 1694. It is today managed by "Historic Royal Palaces" and open to the public. Chertsey is a very old town which grew up around Chertsey Abbey, founded in 666 AD.It became a Thames crossing of importance, but at the time of this print was possibly most famous for its cricket team who in 1778 heavily defeated a side representing "the rest of England". A narrow right-hand margin, but sufficient to mount, thus also hiding a few marginal spots.
Ref: TOP 154
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£12
18 x 32.5cm


Guildford Castle & The Castle's Ancient Crypt. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically 2 (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Guildford Castle is of Norman foundation, probably dating from shortly after 1086, and added to over the years.It was a royal residence until 1611 when it passed into private hands. It has been owned by Guildford Corporation since 1885. The grounds are today public gardens, the gatehouse a museum, and the keep has been restored as a visitor centre. This print, engraved by Hawkins, offers 2 views on 1 sheet, and is supplied with the original, accompanying text.
Ref: TOP 370
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1797-9
£12
18.5 x 32cm


Lambeth Palace. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically 2 (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Lambeth Palace sits on the south bank of the Thames, and is the London residence of the Archbishop of London. The complex has been rebuilt and extended over the centuries, with the earliest surviving part being Lollards Tower, dating from 1435-40. Ths print, engraved by Ellis, offers 2 views on 1 sheet, and is supplied with the original accompanying text. A couple of marginal spots.
Ref: TOP 372
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£12
17 x 32.5cm


Lambeth Palace and Westminster Abbey. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically 2 (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Lambeth Palace sits on the south bank of the Thames, and is the London residence of the Archbishop of London. The complex has been rebuilt and extended over the centuries, with the earliest surviving part being Lollards Tower, dating from 1435-40. The first Westminster Abbey was founded by Edward the Confessor, but the present building was begun in 1245, with work continuing until 1517. The two western towers were addded by Hawksmoor between 1722 and 1745. The Abbey has been used for all royal coronations since 1066. This print, engraved by Taylor, offers two views on one sheet, and is supplied with the original, accompanying text.
Ref: TOP 374
 
B. Clarke    The British Gazetteer 1852
£15
21.5 x 13.5cm


Box Hill and the Dorking Railway. The British Gazetteer was authored by B. Clarke and published by H.G. Collins in 1852. Apart from topographical text listings, it included a set of county maps (originally by Rowe), and a small series of railway prints after drawings by J.F. Burrell. This print was engraved by A. Ashley and shows the well-known beauty spot of Box Hill, with the railway viaduct in the distance.
Ref: TOP 1497