Copperplate

Berkshire : 32 items

Maps

W. Hole    Camden's Britannia 1637 (1607)
£225
32 x 23.5cm


The first five editions of Camden's successful history and topography of Britain were without maps, but for the sixth edition of 1607 the engravers William Hole and William Kip were commissioned to provide a set of maps of the counties of England and Wales, plus 3 general maps of the countries comprising the new "United Kingdom". These maps were retained for the subsequent 1610 and 1637 editions. They are based on the earlier work of Saxton, Norden, Smith and Owen. This example is from the 1637 edition.
Ref: BER 020
 
W. Hole    Camden's Britannia 1637 (1607)
£240
32 x 23.5cm


The first five editions of Camden's successful history and topography of Britain were without maps, but for the sixth edition of 1607 the engravers William Hole and William Kip were commissioned to provide a set of maps of the counties of England and Wales, plus 3 general maps of the countries comprising the new "United Kingdom". These maps were retained for the subsequent 1610 and 1637 editions. They are based on the earlier work of Saxton, Norden, Smith and Owen. This attractively coloured example is from the 1637 edition.
Ref: BER 021
 
E. Bowen J. Owen    Britannia Depicta 1720
£42
11.5 x 18cm


Britannia Depicta was one of 3 pocket-sized reductions of Ogilby's road book that appeared within an 18 month timeframe between 1719 and 1720. It was more innovative than the others in including much additional topographical and historical information (researched by John Owen) on the maps. The work was a commercial success and ran to many later editions, this example being from the first edition of 1720.
Ref: BER 022
 
T. Hutchinson    Geographia Magnae Britanniae 1748
£45
16.5 x 14.5cm


This small county atlas of England and Wales was first issued in 1748 by a consortium of 7 publishers who also had a stake in the publication of Daniel Defoe's Tour Through the Whole Island of Great Britain. It was advertised as a companion volume to Defoe's work, or as a pocket atlas in its own right. Thomas Hutchinson's name appears as the engraver on 2 maps, but the rest are unsigned and may be by a variety of hands. They are sometimes also known as Osborne/Wale maps. There was a second edition in 1756.
Ref: BER 023
 
J. Ellis    Ellis's English Atlas 1766 (1765)
£65
24 x 19.5cm


Joseph Ellis's English Atlas was an entry into the market for small county atlases by its publishers Robert Sayer and Carington Bowles. The county maps were closely based upon those drawn by Thomas Kitchin for the 1763 topographical work England Illustrated, the major difference being the attractive vignettes which replaced Kitchin's rococco cartouches. The atlas was first published in 1765, and soon became a commercial success, running to many later editions. It was promoted as a travelling atlas, and made available in various formats. These included a version with the maps printed back to back on each page, as with this example from a 1766 edition which has a map of Buckinghamshire printed on the reverse. Short tear to bottom margin, not affecting the image.
Ref: BER 024
 
J. Cary    New and Correct English Atlas 1809 (1787)
£29
26.5 x 21cm


The last decades of the 18th century saw less emphasis being placed on the traditions of decorative mapmaking in favour of a plainer style and design. Foremost amongst this new wave of "modern" cartographers and engravers was John Cary. The New and Correct English Atlas was Cary's first major production as a publisher in his own account. The maps were not only clearly and elegantly drawn and engraved, but also set new standards in accuracy in taking advantage of all the new large-scale county surveys of the second half of the 18th century. The atlas was first published in 1787, with a re-issue in 1793. By 1808 the plates were well worn, and the engraving of a new set was begun. The next dated edition of 1809, from which this example comes, utilised these new plates. Original outline colour.
Ref: BER 025
 
J. Aiken    England Delineated 1790
£15
13.5 x 8.5cm


John Aikin (or Aiken) wrote this topographical work for children in order "to make my young countrymen better acquainted than they are usually found to be with their native land". The first edition of 1788 did not include county maps, but these were added for the second edition of 1790, from which this example comes. The work was published by Joseph Johnson, but the maps are unsigned. There were four later editions of the book with the maps, and one without. The Berkshire map is fairly simple, befitting the needs of its target audience, and the text may be available at no extra charge.
Ref: BER 026
 
J. Lodge    Untitled Atlas of the English Counties c1795 (1787)
£85
32 x 24.5cm


This was one of a set of county maps engraved by John Lodge and issued between 1787 and 1790 in The Political Magazine, and Parliamentary, Naval, Military and Literary Journal, published initially by John Murray, and later by R. Butters. The maps were subsequently collected together and re-issued as an atlas (without title page) around 1795. For this atlas edition the imprint with the publication date and engraver's and publisher's signatures was removed from the maps. This example is from the atlas edition. The maps are well engraved in the plainer style then coming into vogue. They are uncommon, and sought by collectors. Modern colour.
Ref: BER 009
 
B. Capper    Topographical Dictionary of the UK 1808
£13
18 x 10.5cm


Benjamin Pitts Capper was the author of this topographical directory, first published by R. Phillips in 1808. The maps were engraved, and possibly drawn by H. Cooper. Later editions of the work carry the imprint of G.and W.B. Whittaker who re-published the book from 1825-34. This example is from the first edition of 1808, with the hundreds shown in original, full wash colour.
Ref: BER 028
 
J. Cary    New English Atlas 1811 (1809)
£90
53.5 x 48cm


It is suprising that Cary's large county atlas was issued as late as 1809, as individual maps from it seem to have been sold singly from 1801. The atlas format was perhaps to compete with the similarly sized atlas of Charles Smith, which went under the same title and was published in 1804. It is perhaps Cary's finest production, the maps being notable for their fine design, detail and engraving. The atlas ran to several later editions by Cary, and the plates were later used for a variety of lithographic transfers by G.F. Cruchley. This example is from the second edition of 1811, and is in original full colour.
Ref: BER 029
 
T. Murray    An Atlas of the English Counties 1830
£32
45.5 x 35.5cm


The title page of Murray's county atlas states that the maps were "Projected on the basis of the Trigonometrical Survey by order of the hon.ble The Board of Ordnance, under the superindendance of T.L. Murray". This might seem to imply the project had at least the official blessing, if not the active involvement of the Ordnance Survey, but is more likely to be a marketing puff. D. Hodson has suggested that the maps were copied from those of William Ebden published from 1825-8, both sets also being engraved by the same firm of Hoare & Reeves. Murray's Atlas was first published in 1830, with second and third editions in 1831 and 1832, the latter with the adddition of electoral data. by 1838 the plates had been acquired by W. Robson & Co. who published and sold the maps individually, and also used them in their commercial directories. This example is from the first edition of 1830. Original colour. One slightly grubby mark.
Ref: BER 007
 
A. Fullarton    Bell's New and Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales 1834
£33
24.5 x 19cm


These maps were first published in partwork by Fullarton and Co. in 1833-34 in James Bell's New and Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales. The complete work was subsequently re-issued three times in 1834, 1836 and 1837. They were later re-published (again by Fullarton) in 1840 in The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales, with several further re-issues up to 1849. The maps were engraved on steel and sometimes bear the name of the engraver and sometimes not. This example is from the 1834 edition of Bell's Gazetteer and bears the signature of R. Scott as engraver. Supplied mounted and ready for framing.
Ref: BER 010
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    View of the Representative History of England 1835
£20
24 x 18.5cm


This work was published in 1835 as a companion volume to Lewis's Topographic Dictionary. It contains county and borough maps, drawn by R. Creighton and engaved by J.& C. Walker, and was designed to show the electoral and boundary changes effected by the 1832 Reform Act. There were 2 issues of the work in 1835 and 1840, this example of the county map being from the 1835 first edition. Original outline colour.
Ref: BER 003
 
J. Barclay T. Moule    Barclay's Universal English Dictionary 1852 (1837)
£55
25.5 x 20cm


Thomas Moule's antiquarian leanings are evident in this series of highly decorative county maps - a stylistic throwback in an age when cartographic work had become much plainer and more utilitarian. The maps were engraved by W. Smollinger, J. Bingley and J. Dower, and first appeared in Moule's English Counties Delineated, a partwork with text issued from 1830. They were subsequently made available as a complete work in 1837 under the same title, and were later re-issued in Barclay's Universal English Dictionary between 1842 and 1852. This latter work ran to several editions and the maps were often updated between editions to show the latest growth of the railway network. This example is from the 1852 edition of Barclay's Dictionary in which the maps are usually found close trimmed.
Ref: BER 033
 
J. Duncan    A Complete County Atlas of England and Wales 1840-45 (1825)
£45
43.5 x 34cm


Coloured. These maps were first published in 1825, and probably sold singly. In 1833 they were re-published by James Duncan in a thematic atlas to illustrate the representative changes brought about by the 1832 Reform Act. There were later re-issues in 1840 and 1845 with the addition of railways, and this map dates from one of these editions. A little light offsetting.
Ref: BER 1089
 
B. Clarke R. Rowe    The British Gazetteer 1852 (1816)
£30
41 x 34cm


These maps first appeared in Rowe's English Atlas of 1816, being subsequently acquired by a succession of later publishers and used in a variety of their works. They were modified and updated during this time. This example is the second lithographic transfer for Clarke's British Gazetteer, published in 1852 by H.G. Collins. Folded and trimmed just within bottom right hand border to fit the volume.
Ref: BER 1148
 
J. Seller    Camden's Britannia Abridg'd 1701 (c1695)
£38
14.5 x 12cm


First published in Anglia Contracta in c1695, John Seller's maps were subsequently reissued in A History of England in 1696, and in Camden's Britannia Abridg'd in 1701. They were later re-used in the 1780's in Grose's Antiquities of England and Wales, for which titles and scale-bars were changed, the maps also being set in a page of text. The Seller/Grose maps are common, the originals by Seller much less so. This example of the Berkshire map is from Camden's Britannia Abridg'd published in 1701. Modern hand colour.
Ref: BER 011
 
T. Kitchin    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1789 (1751)
£50
22 x 17cm


This map was first published in the June 1751 edition of the London Magazine, which between 1747 and 1754 issued a complete set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin. The maps were later re-published by Alexander Hogg in Boswell's Antiquities of England & Wales, initially in partwork from c 1787-9, and then in several complete editions of the work up to 1798. This example of the Oxfordshire map is from the first complete edition of Boswell's Antiquities dating from c1789.
Ref: BER 012
 
G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£35
20 x 15.5cm


The New British Traveller was originally issued as a weekly partwork by the publisher Alexander Hogg, commencing in 1783. Once the series of 60 parts was completed in 1784 title pages were provided for the pages to be bound in a single volume. The work is a topographical review of Great Britain, containing numerous prints and a set of county and general maps. The maps are of varying sizes, being typically arranged 2,3 or 4 to a single page, with adjoining borders. When separated this means individual maps will be trimmed to the border on one or two sides and are often re-margined for mounting and framing. The map of Berkshire is re-margined on one side and sold ready-mounted. The text pages for the county may be available on request at no extra charge.
Ref: BER 008
 
J. Bill    The Abridgement of Camden's Britannia 1626
£220
12 x 9cm


An attractive and rare county map, as the work was only ever printed in one edition with a print run suggested as just 200. The maps were copied from Saxton, and are notable as the first set of county maps to show latitude and longitude. A true collector's item from the rarest of English county atlases.
Ref: BER 013
 
J. Wallis S. Oddy    Wallis's New Britlish Atlas 1813
£32
26.5 x 32cm


James Wallis's New British Atlas was first published in 1813 by S.A. Oddy. There was a second edition in 1816. This example is from the first edition and is dated 1812 on the imprint. It is in attractive, original, full wash colour, and in nice, bright condition.
Ref: BER 1545
 
H. Teesdale    New British Atlas 1830
£38
41 x 34cm


This detailed and well engraved map was one of a set first published around 1812-14 by Robert Rowe, who was probably also their draftsman and engraver. The maps were initially sold singly in folding format until their collective issue in 1816 as The English Atlas. The plates were later acquired by Henry Teesdale, who amended titles and imprints and re-issued the work as the New British Atlas in 1829, with several re-issues up to 1842. The plates were later acquired and used by H.G. Collins and then by G. Philip and Son, who both used them as the base for lithographic transfers for a variety of works up to c1860. This example is from the 1830 second edition of Teesdale's atlas. Original wash colour. Three very short, marginal, repaired tears, not impinging the printed area.
Ref: BER 006
 
J. Gibson    New And Accurate Maps of the Counties of England and Wales 1759-79
£80
11 x 6.5cm


These attractive, miniature maps by John Gibson were first published in 1759 by John Newbery, and were possibly targeted at the children's market. A second edition was issued in 1779 by Thomas Carnan, who had succeeded to Newbery's business. A nice example of an uncommon miniature map.
Ref: BER 1400
 
R. Morden    Magna Britannia et Hibernia 1720 (1715)
£60
21.5 x 16cm


Morden's set of smaller maps may originally have been drawn and engraved for Camden's Britannia, but rejected as too small. They were first published in 1701 in The New Description and State of England. This example is from Magna Britannia et Hibernia, originally issued as a 92 part topographical work between 1714 and 1731, but gradually also made available in 6 finished, bound volumes. The text and map of Berkshire first appeared in July 1715, but this example is from volume 1 of the bound work with a title-page date of 1720. Original outline colour.
Ref: BER 001
 
G. Rollos    England Displayed 1769 (1763)
£55
26 x 18.5cm


In 1762-3 George Rollos engraved 5 maps of English and Welsh counties for The British Magazine. In 1769 four of the maps were re-issued, with the original imprints removed, in the topographical work England Displayed. This example is from this latter publication.
Ref: BER 1698
 

Topographical prints - other areas

J. Morphew    Magna Britannia et Hibernia 1720
£35
21.5 x 16cm


The Royal Palace and Town of Windsor. Magna Britannia et Hibernia was originally issued as a 92 part topographical work between 1714 and 1731, but gradually also made available in 6 finished, bound volumes. The publisher was J. Morphew. The text, county map and prints realting to Berkshire first appeared in July 1715, but this example is from volume 1 of the bound work with a title-page date of 1720. The print, which has no signatures of authorship, shows the castle and town of Windsor as a bird's eye view.
Ref: TOP 018
 
J. Morphew    Magna Britannia et Hibernia 1720 (1715)
£30
21.5 x 16cm


Windsor Castle. Magna Britannia et Hibernia was originally issued as a 92 part topographical work between 1714 and 1731, but gradually also made available in 6 finished, bound volumes. The publisher was J. Morphew. The text, county map and prints realting to Berkshire first appeared in July 1715, but this example is from volume 1 of the bound work with a title-page date of 1720. The print, which has no signatures of authorship, shows Windsor castle from the north across the Thames.
Ref: TOP 019
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£7
18.5 x 13.5cm


Dunnington Castle. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically two (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. The remains of Donnington Castle, just north of Newbury, are today administered by English Heritage. This print was engraved by Thornton, and is supplied with the original accompanying text page and a plan of the castle.
Ref: TOP 232
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£7
16.5 x 27.5cm


Reading Abbey. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically two (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. The ruins of the abbey and its associated buildings still stand in the centre of the modern town where Reading Council has plans to restore and develop the site. This print was engraved by Page, and is supplied with the original accompanying text. A couple of light brown spots.
Ref: TOP 235
 
H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£7
20 x 16cm


Englefield House. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically two (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Englefield House, near Theale, was built in the late 16th century, and survives today as the family home of the Benyon family (since c1740). This print was engraved by Lowry.
Ref: TOP 237
 
Anon.    Source Unknown c1860?
£5
19.5 x 14cm


Cumnor Place, Wytham. Cumnor Place was originally a grange (outlying farm) belonging to Abingdon Abbey. It dated from the 14th cnetury, but was finally demolished by the Earl of Abingdon in 1810. This etching bears no signatures, and its source publication has not been identified.
Ref: TOP 172
 
Anon.    The Beauties of England and Wales 1810
£12
19 x 13cm


Temple House, Bisham. The Beauties of England and Wales was a topographical partwork issued in 18 volumes between 1801 and 1815. It was initially published by Vernor & Hood and later by J. Harris. This print of Temple House was engraved by G. Cooke after a drawing S. Owen, and appeared in 1810. The house was built by Samuel Wyatt for Thomas Mils in the late eighteenth century. It was demolished in 1932.
Ref: TOP 006