Copperplate

Durham : 21 items

Maps

W. Kip    Camden's Britannia 1637 (1607)
£130
33.5 x 27.5cm


The first five editions of Camden's successful history and topography of Britain were without maps, but for the sixth edition of 1607 the engravers William Hole and William Kip were commissioned to provide a set of maps of the counties of England and Wales, plus 3 general maps of the countries comprising the new "United Kingdom". These maps were retained for the subsequent 1610 and 1637 editions. They are based on the earlier work of Saxton, Norden, Smith and Owen. Later editions of Britannia had maps by Robert Morden (and later still by John Cary. This example is by Kip and from the 1637 edition. Later colour.
Ref: DUR 014
 
J. Blaeu    Theatrum Orbis Terrarum 1645-67
£225
49.5 x 37.5cm


The Blaeu family were one of the leading Dutch map producers of the 17th century. Their major work was a multi volume world atlas initiated by Willem Blaeu and expanded by his son Joan. Their maps were beautifully designed and engraved, and are often found with original colour, making them most desirable to collectors. 1645 saw the first publication of volume 4 of the atlas, containing maps of England and Wales. There were several re-issues between then and 1672 when most of Blaeu's plates were lost in a fire which engulfed his Amsterdam premises. A very nice example in original colour. French text to verso dates the map to the editions of 1645, 1648, 1663 or 1667.
Ref: DUR 016
 
E. Bowen J. Owen    Britannia Depicta 1720
£40
11.5 x 18.0cm


Britannia Depicta was one of 3 pocket-sized reductions of Ogilby's road book that appeared within an 18 month time frame between 1719 and 1720. It was more innovative than the others in including much additional topographical and historical information (researched by John Owen) on the maps. The work was a commercial success and ran to many later editions, this example being from the first edition of 1720.
Ref: DUR 180
 
T. Kitchin    Large English Atlas 1751-53
£160
68 x 50.5cm


The idea for a new county atlas, with a large format bigger than any predecessor, was initiated in 1749 by John Hinton. For a variety of reasons, however, progress was slow. Maps were offered for individual sale as the printing plates were completed, but the series was not finished until 1760 when the atlas was finally published.. All but a few of the maps were drawn and engraved byEmanuel Bowen and Thomas Kitchin. The atlas proved to be a commercial success, and a number of later editions were issued up to 1787. The Durham map, engraved by Kitchin, was first published in 1751, and Hinton's name on the publisher's imprint of this example dates it to between 1751 and 1753. Hinton exited the project around that date, selling completed printing plates, stock and work in progress to John Tinney, whose name replaces that of Hinton on the early maps from c1753.
Ref: DUR 036
 
J. Ellis    Ellis's English Atlas 1766 (1765)
£75
24.5 x 19.5cm


Joseph Ellis's English Atlas was an entry into the market for small county atlases by its publishers Robert Sayer and Carington Bowles. The county maps were closely based upon those drawn by Thomas Kitchin for the 1763 topographical work England Illustrated, the major difference being the attractive vignettes which replaced Kitchin's rococco cartouches. The atlas was first published in 1765, and soon became a commercial success, running to many later editions. It was promoted as a travelling atlas, and made available in various formats. These included a version with the maps printed back to back on each page, as with this example from a 1766 edition which has a map of Essex on the reverse. Short tear to bottom margin not affecting printed area.
Ref: DUR 182
 
J. Cary    New and Correct English Atlas 1809 (1787)
£24
26 x 21cm


The last decades of the 18th century saw less emphasis being placed on the traditions of decorative mapmaking in favour of a plainer style and design. Foremost amongst this new wave of "modern" cartographers and engravers was John Cary. The New and Correct English Atlas was Cary's first major production as a publisher in his own account. The maps were not only clearly and elegantly drawn and engraved, but also set new standards in accuracy in taking advantage of all the new large-scale county surveys of the second half of the 18th century. The atlas was first published in 1787, with a re-issue in 1793. By 1808 the plates were well worn, and the engraving of a new set was begun. The next dated edition of 1809, from which this example comes, utilised these new plates. Original outline colour.
Ref: DUR 183
 
J. Cary    Camden's Britannia 1806 (1789)
£55
51.5 x 39.5cm


Camden's Britannia was first published in 1586. County maps by Kip and Hole were first added in 1607, being supplanted by those of Robert Morden for the 5 editions from 1695 to 1772. In 1789 a new translation of the work by Richard Gough was published by T. Payne and G.& J. Robinson with updated and modernised maps by John Cary. The same maps were also later used in Cary's New British Atlas of 1805. They can be found uncoloured, with outline colour and with full wash colour. This example is from the second Gough edition of Britannia, published in 1806, and the maps are in full wash colour - the most desirable state.
Ref: DUR 184
 
J. Cary    New English Atlas 1809 (1801)
£65
53.5 x 48.5cm


It is suprising that Cary's large county atlas was issued as late as 1809, as individual maps from it seem to have been sold singly from 1801. The atlas format was perhaps to compete with the similarly sized atlas of Charles Smith, which went under the same title and was published in 1804. It is perhaps Cary's finest production, the maps being notable for their fine design, detail and engraving. The atlas ran to several later editions by Cary, and the plates were later used for a variety of lithographic transfers by G.F. Cruchley. This example of the Durham map is dated 1801, and would have come from the first full edition of the atlas issued in 1809. It is in original full colour. A slight crease across the top-right corner, and a repaired marginal tear not affecting the image, but otherwise a good copy.
Ref: DUR 027
 
J. Pigot    British Atlas 1829-34 (1829)
£50
35.5 x 22cm


James Pigot & Co's county maps were issued in their British Atlas (from c1829), in several of their national and local business directories (from 1826 for the "home counties", at least), and singly in folding form as travelling maps. They were amongst the first maps to be printed from steel instead of copper plates, allowing more accurate fine detail and less wear to the plates over time. Atlas and directories went through several editions up to around 1857, later editions from 1846 being re-named Slater's New British Atlas, with imprints changed accordingly. Original outline colour.
Ref: DUR 188
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831-49
£15
22.5 x 18cm


Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary was first published in 1831, and there were a mumber or re-issues up to 1849. The county maps, which were drawn by R. Creighton and engraved by J.& C. Walker, were sometimes published with the text and sometimes in a separate, accompanying atlas volume. This example dates from the 1831 or 1835 editions.
Ref: DUR 031
 
J. Duncan    A Complete County Atlas of England and Wales 1840-45 (1825)
£35
43.5 x 34.0cm


Coloured. These maps were first published in 1825, and probably sold singly. In 1833 they were re-published by James Duncan in a thematic atlas to illustrate the representative changes brought about by the 1832 Reform Act. There were later re-issues in 1840 and 1845 with the addition of railways, and this map dates from one of these editions.
Ref: DUR 034
 
J. Jansson    Atlas Novus 1646-1656
£175
50.5 x 40.5cm


Jan Jansson was one of Amsterdam's leading 17th century mapmakers, and a close rival to the Blaeu family. His multi-volume world atlas first saw the introduction of 6 maps of individual English counties into the German edition of 1636, and a further 11 of English and Welsh counties in the Dutch edition of 1644. But when Jansson saw the 1645 Blaeu volume with more decorative maps covering all the English and Welsh counties, he felt obliged to revise his existing plates and complete the set in order to compete. His new volume covering England and Wales was first published in the 1646 Latin text edition of the Atlas Novus. There were several later editions by Jansson, and later isses by Schenk and Valk who acquired the plates in 1694. French text to verso dates this example as from the editions of 1646, 1647, 1652 or 1656. Original colour. Slight age-toning to the paper.
Ref: DUR 017
 
A. Fullarton    Bell's New and Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales 1834
£20
24 x 18.5cm


These maps were first published in partwork by Fullarton and Co. in 1833-34 in James Bell's New and Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales. The complete work was subsequently re-issued three times in 1834, 1836 and 1837. They were later re-published (again by Fullarton) in 1840 in The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales, with several further re-issues up to 1849. The maps were engraved on steel and sometimes bear the name of the engraver and sometimes not. This example is from the 1834 edition of Bell's Gazetteer and bears no engraver's signature.
Ref: DUR 030
 
H. Teesdale R. Rowe    New British Atlas 1830 (1812-14)
£35
41 x 34cm


This detailed and well engraved map was one of a set first published around 1812-14 by Robert Rowe, who was probably also their draftsman and engraver. The maps were initially sold singly in folding format until their collective issue in 1816 as The English Atlas. The plates were later acquired by Henry Teesdale, who amended titles and imprints and re-issued the work as the New British Atlas in 1829, with several re-issues up to 1842. The plates were later acquired and used by H.G. Collins and then by G. Philip and Son, who both used them as the base for lithographic transfers for a variety of works up to c1860. This example is from the 1830 second edition of Teesdale's atlas. Original wash colour.
Ref: DUR 010
 
T. Kitchin    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1789 (1751)
£38
21.5 x 16.5cm


This map first appeared in the London Magazine in 1751 as part of an irregular but complete set of English county maps, nearly all by Thomas Kitchin. This example is from its re-issue by Alexander Hogg in Boswell's Antiquities of England & Wales which appeared serially from c1787-89, and in subsequent collected editions in the 1790's.
Ref: DUR 037
 
T. Murray    An Atlas of the English Counties 1830
£28
45 x 35.5cm


The title page of Murray's county atlas states that the maps were "Projected on the basis of the Trigonometrical Survey by order of the hon.ble The Board of Ordnance, under the superindendance of T.L. Murray". This might seem to imply the project had at least the official blessing, if not the active involvement of the Ordnance Survey, but is more likely to be a marketing puff. D. Hodson has suggested that the maps were copied from those of William Ebden published from 1825-8, both sets also being engraved by the same firm of Hoare & Reeves. Murray's Atlas was first published in 1830, with second and third editions in 1831 and 1832, the latter with the adddition of electoral data. by 1838 the plates had been acquired by W. Robson & Co. who published and sold the maps individually, and also used them in their commercial directories. This example is from the first edition of 1830. Original colour. Two short repaired marginal tears, not affecting the image.
Ref: DUR 011
 
R. Morden    Magna Brittania et Hibernia 1716 or 1720 (1701)
£50
20.5 x 15.5cm


Morden's set of smaller maps may originally have been drawn and engraved for Camden's Britannia, but rejected as too small. They were first published in 1701 in The New Description and State of England. This example is from Magna Britannia et Hibernia, originally issued as a 92 part topographical work between 1714 and 1731, but gradually also made available in 6 finished, bound volumes. The text and map of Durham first appeared in the partwork in November 1716. It was subsequently reissued in 1720, (together with 11 other county maps) in Volume 1 of the intended complete work.
Ref: DUR 013
 
R. Morden    Britannia 1722 (1695)
£95
41.5 x 36cm


Camden's Britannia - a history and topography of Britain - was first published in 1586 and had a long and successful publication history. County maps by Kip and Hole were addded in 1607, and these also appeared in the editions of 1610 and 1637. Over 50 year's later it was decided to issue a new and updated edition. The original Latin text was re-translated by Edmund Gibson, and Robert Morden was commissioned to provide a new set of county and general maps in a more modern style. The revised work was issued in 1695. There were 4 further editions of the Gibson/Morden work, the last in 1772, before a further updated version by Richard Gough was launched in 1789, with new maps by John Cary. This example of Morden's Durham map is in attractive modern hand colour, ans believed to come from the edition of 1722.
Ref: DUR 022
 

Topographical prints - other areas

A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£12
31 x 20cm


High Force on the River Tees. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. High Force is a waterfall on the River Tees, neat Middleton-in-Teesdale. The river forms the boundary beween Durham and North Yorkshire and the falls are impressive, especially when in full spate.
Ref: TOP 126
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£12
24.5 x 16.5cm


Durham Castle. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. Durham Castle is of Norman origin, and was built in the 11th century. It stands high upon a hill that is the town's citadel, facing the Cathedral and looking down upon the River Wear. Since 1840 it has been used by Durham University, who run tours for public access.
Ref: TOP 051
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£7
24.5 x 15.5cm


Lumley Castle. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. Lumley Castle was built in 1389 by Sir Ralph Lumley as a remodelling of his manor house. Since then it has served as the seat of the Bishop of Durham, and as accommodation for students at Durham University, but is now a luxury hotel on the outskirts of Chester-le-Street. This print has a little marginal foxing which would be hidden by a mount.
Ref: TOP 129