Copperplate

Herefordshire : 30 items

Maps

W. Hole    Camden's Britannia 1637 (1607)
£195
31 x 28.5cm


The first five editions of Camden's successful history and topography of Britain were without maps, but for the sixth edition of 1607 the engravers William Hole and William Kip were commissioned to provide a set of maps of the counties of England and Wales, plus 3 general maps of the countries comprising the new "United Kingdom". These maps were retained for the subsequent 1610 and 1637 editions. They are based on the earlier work of Saxton, Norden, Smith and Owen. This attractively coloured example is from the 1637 edition.
Ref: HRE 235
 
R. Morden    Camden's Britannia 1695
£110
41.5 x 36cm


Camden's Britannia - a history and topography of Britain - was first published in 1586 and had a long and successful publication history. County maps by Kip and Hole were addded in 1607, and these also appeared in the editions of 1610 and 1637. Over 50 year's later it was decided to issue a new and updated edition. The original Latin text was re-translated by Edmund Gibson, and Robert Morden was commissioned to provide a new set of county and general maps in a more modern style. The revised work was issued in 1695. There were 4 further editions of the Gibson/Morden work, the last in 1772, before a further updated version by Richard Gough was launched in 1789, with new maps by John Cary. This example is from the first Gibson edition of 1695. Repair to lower centrefold.
Ref: HRE 236
 
J. Ellis    Ellis's English Atlas 1766 (1765)
£50
19 x 25.0cm


Joseph Ellis's English Atlas was an entry into the market for small county atlases by its publishers Robert Sayer and Carington Bowles. The county maps were closely based upon those drawn by Thomas Kitchin for the 1763 topographical work England Illustrated, the major difference being the attractive vignettes which replaced Kitchin's rococco cartouches. The atlas was first published in 1765, and soon became a commercial success, running to many later editions. It was promoted as a travelling atlas, and made available in various formats. These included a version with the maps printed back to back on each page, as with this example from a 1766 edition which has a map of Huntingdonshire on the reverse.
Ref: HRE 239
 
J. Cary    New and Correct English Atlas 1809 (1787)
£24
21 x 26cm


The last decades of the 18th century saw less emphasis being placed on the traditions of decorative mapmaking in favour of a plainer style and design. Foremost amongst this new wave of "modern" cartographers and engravers was John Cary. The New and Correct English Atlas was Cary's first major production as a publisher in his own account. The maps were not only clearly and elegantly drawn and engraved, but also set new standards in accuracy in taking advantage of all the new large-scale county surveys of the second half of the 18th century. The atlas was first published in 1787, with a re-issue in 1793. By 1808 the plates were well worn, and the engraving of a new set was begun. The next dated edition of 1809, from which this example comes, utilised these new plates. Original outline colour.
Ref: HRE 240
 
J. Cary    Camden's Britannia 1806 (1789)
£25
42.5 x 52.5cm


Camden's Britannia was first published in 1586. County maps by Kip and Hole were first added in 1607, being supplanted by those of Robert Morden for the 5 editions from 1695 to 1772. In 1789 a new translation of the work by Richard Gough was published by T. Payne and G. & J. Robinson with updated and modernised maps by John Cary. The same maps were also later used in Cary's New British Atlas of 1805. They can be found uncoloured, with outline colour and with full wash colour. This example is from the second Gough edition of Britannia, published in 1806, and the maps are in full wash colour - the most desirable state. Close trimmed to right and left hand borders with some repaired tears and marginal "nibbles". A slight stain along one of the folds. Priced accordingly.
Ref: HRE 241
 
J. Aiken    England Delineated 1790
£13
10.5 x 14.5cm


John Aikin (or Aiken) wrote this topographical work for children in order "to make my young countrymen better acquainted than they are usually found to be with their native land". The first edition of 1788 did not include county maps, but these were added for the second edition of 1790, from which this example comes. The work was published by Joseph Johnson, but the maps are unsigned. There were four later editions of the book with the maps, and one without. The Herefordshire map is fairly simple, befitting the needs of its target audience, and the text may be available at no extra charge.
Ref: HRE 242
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas 1808 (1804)
£75
45.5 x 49.5cm


Charles Smith was a successful London publisher and map-seller, whose work is stylistically very similar to that of John Cary. His large format New English Atlas first came to market in 1804, but many of the maps have also been found in folding format and may have been sold individually before the publication of the atlas. Smith's maps were well designed and accurate, making use of the large scale county surveys of the previous half-century. The atlas was a commercial success and was up-dated and re-published regularly until c1865 (the latter editions produced by lithographic transfer). This example is from the 1808 second edition, and is in bright and original full colour.
Ref: HRE 243
 
B. Capper    Topographical Dictionary of the UK 1808
£11
10 x 18cm


Benjamin Pitts Capper was the author of this topographical directory, first published by R. Phillips in 1808. The maps were engraved, and possibly drawn by H. Cooper. Later editions of the work carry the imprint of G.and W.B. Whittaker who re-published the book from 1825-34. This example is from the first edition of 1808, with the hundreds shown in original, full wash colour.
Ref: HRE 244
 
J. Cary    New English Atlas 1811 (1809)
£75
47 x 53.5cm


It is suprising that Cary's large county atlas was issued as late as 1809, as individual maps from it seem to have been sold singly from 1801. The atlas format was perhaps to compete with the similarly sized atlas of Charles Smith, which went under the same title and was published in 1804. It is perhaps Cary's finest production, the maps being notable for their fine design, detail and engraving. The atlas ran to several later editions by Cary, and the plates were later used for a variety of lithographic transfers by G.F. Cruchley. This example is from the second edition of 1811, and is in original full colour. Short repaired marginal tear, not affecting the printed area.
Ref: HRE 245
 
J. Pigot    British Atlas 1839-42 (1829)
£45
22 x 35.5cm


James Pigot & Co's county maps were issued in their British Atlas (from c1829), in several of their national and local business directories (from 1826 for the "home counties", at least), and singly in folding form as travelling maps. They were amongst the first maps to be printed from steel instead of copper plates, allowing more accurate fine detail and less wear to the plates over time. Atlas and directories went through several editions up to around 1857, later editions from 1846 being re-named Slater's New British Atlas, with imprints changed accordingly. Original outline colour.
Ref: HRE 246
 
C. Greenwood    Atlas of the Counties of England 1834
£120
69.5 x 58cm


Original full colour. Some offsetting. The Greenwoods surveyed all the counties from 1817-33 for their beautifully engraved county atlas finally published in 1834. Maps were also sold singly as produced. The Herefordshire map is corrected to 1834, the year this specimen was published in atlas format.
Ref: HRE 247
 
A. Fullarton    The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1847 (1833)
£23
19 x 24cm


These maps were first published by Fullarton and Co. in 1833 in James Bell's New and Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales which was re-issued three times in the 1830's. They were subsequently re-published (again by Fullarton) in 1840 in The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales, with several further re-issues up to 1849. The maps were engraved on steel and sometimes bear the name of the engraver and sometimes not. This example is from the Parliamentary Gazetteer of 1847 and bears the signature of Gray & Son as engravers.
Ref: HRE 248
 
J. Barclay T. Moule    Barclay's Universal English Dictionary 1842 (1837)
£49
18.5 x 26.5cm


Thomas Moule's antiquarian leanings are evident in this series of highly decorative county maps - a stylistic throwback in an age when cartographic work had become much plainer and more utilitarian. The maps were engraved by W. Smollinger, J. Bingley and J. Dower, and first appeared in Moule's English Counties Delineated, a partwork with text issued from 1830-32. They were subsequently made available as a complete work in 1837 under the same title, and were later re-issued in Barclay's Universal English Dictionary between 1842 and 1852. This latter work ran to several editions and the maps were often updated between editions to show the latest growth of the railway network. This example in modern colour is from the 1842 edition of Barclay's Dictionary in which the maps are usually found close trimmed. A little soiling at the top margin. Supplied mounted and ready to frame.
Ref: HRE 249
 
J. Duncan    A Complete County Atlas of England and Wales 1840-45 (1825)
£40
34 x 43.5cm


Coloured. These maps were first published in 1825, and probably sold singly. In 1833 they were re-published by James Duncan in a thematic atlas to illustrate the representative changes brought about by the 1832 Reform Act. There were later re-issues in 1840 and 1845 with the addition of railways, and this map dates from one of these editions. A little light offsetting.
Ref: HRE 1101
 
J. Harrison    Maps of the English Counties 1789-91 (1789)
£40
45.5 x 32cm


Harrison's atlas was published in 1791, but maps were engraved and dated between 1787 and 1791, and may have been sold singly as completed. Herefordshire is dated 1789. Two minor vertical creases.
Ref: HRE 1165
 
B. Clarke R. Rowe    The British Gazetteer 1852 (1816)
£20
41 x 34cm


These maps first appeared in Rowe's English Atlas of 1816, being subsequently acquired by a succession of later publishers and used in a variety of their works. They were modified and updated during this time. This example is the second lithographic transfer for Clarke's British Gazetteer, published in 1852 by H.G. Collins. The map was folded and trimmed close against bottom right hand border to fit the volume, and has been re-margined with matching old paper to facilitate mounting if so desired..
Ref: HRE 1166
 
J. Speed    England Fully Described in a Complete Set of Mapps of ye Countys of England and Wales, with their Islands c1713-43 (1612)
£420
50.5 x 38cm


John Speed's maps of the English and Welsh counties are amongst the most decorative of early, British cartographic work, and are eagerly sought after today. They were first published in 1612 in The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine, designed as a companion volume to Speed's History of Great Britaine. The maps were based on the earlier surveys of Saxton, Norden and a few others, with engraving contracted to Jodocus Hondius whose signature appears on 33 of the maps. Speed's greatest innovation was the inclusion of inset plans of major towns and cities. Although some were copied from earlier work, for many towns this was first plan ever published. Speed's county atlas was re-issued a number of times for a period of around 160 years, with new publishers making various small changes and updates to the maps over time. This example can be dated to c1713-43 by the imprint of Henry Overton - one of the rarer imprints found on Speed maps - and could have been issued either in a complete Speed atlas, or in one of Overton's "composite" atlases, using individual maps from various sources. Overton probably also sold Speed's maps singly.
Ref: HRE 1241
 
G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£33
16 x 19.5cm


The New British Traveller was originally issued as a weekly partwork by the publisher Alexander Hogg, commencing in 1783. Once the series of 60 parts was completed in 1784 title pages were provided for the pages to be bound in a single volume. The work is a topographical review of Great Britain, containing numerous prints and a set of county and general maps. The maps are of varying sizes, being typically arranged 2,3 or 4 to a single page, with adjoining borders. When separated this means individual maps will be trimmed to the border on one or two sides and are often re-margined for mounting and framing. The map of Herefordshire is re-margined on one side and sold ready-mounted. The text pages for the county may be available on request at no extra charge.
Ref: HRE 010
 
C. Saxton P. Lea    The Shires of England and Wales 1689-1730 (1579)
£450
50 x 37cm


The plates from Saxton's atlas were acquired by Philip Lea around 1680 and amended with town plans and other refinements for a new edition issued c.1689. After Lea's death his widow continued his business until her own death in 1730, when George Wildey acquired the plates and began to change imprints accordingly.
Ref: HRE 1403
 
J. Wallis S. Oddy    Wallis's New Britlish Atlas 1813
£30
18 x 26.5cm


James Wallis's New British Atlas was first published in 1813 by S.A. Oddy. There was a second edition in 1816. This example is from the first edition and is dated 1812 on the imprint. It is in attractive, original, full wash colour, and in good condition.
Ref: HRE 1557
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    View of the Representative History of England 1835
£17
17.5 x 23.5cm


This work was published in 1835 as a companion volume to Lewis's Topographic Dictionary. It contains county and borough maps, drawn by R. Creighton and engaved by J.& C. Walker, and was designed to show the electoral and boundary changes effected by the 1832 Reform Act. There were 2 issues of the work in 1835 and 1840, this example of the county map being from the 1835 first edition. Original outline colour.
Ref: HRE 006
 
G. Valck J. Jansson P. Schenk    Schenk and Valk Composite Atlases and sold singly/Atlas Anglois c1694-1724 (1646)
£235
49 x 37.5cm


The plates of Jansson's British maps were acquired by Peter Schenk and Gerard Valk in 1694. The new owners' imprint was substituted and a graticule of grid lines was added to many maps, though Herefordshire was an exception. Miniature town plans were also engraved to mark major towns (as here with Hereford) . The maps were sold singly and in made-up atlases. By c1714 the plates seem to have been acquired by David. Mortier who re-issued some of them in his Atlas Anglois. They appeared for a final time in 1724 in an edition of the Atlas Anglois, now published by Joseph Smith. This example of the Hereford map may have come from any of the abover sources, as the Schenk and Valk imprint remained unchanged in Mortier and Smith's editions. Original colour. Minor centrefold repairs, not affecting the printed area.
Ref: HRE 001
 
T. Murray    An Atlas of the English Counties 1830
£25
36 x 45cm


The title page of Murray's county atlas states that the maps were "Projected on the basis of the Trigonometrical Survey by order of the hon.ble The Board of Ordnance, under the superindendance of T.L. Murray". This might seem to imply the project had at least the official blessing, if not the active involvement of the Ordnance Survey, but is more likely to be a marketing puff. D. Hodson has suggested that the maps were copied from those of William Ebden published from 1825-8, both sets also being engraved by the same firm of Hoare & Reeves. Murray's Atlas was first published in 1830, with second and third editions in 1831 and 1832, the latter with the adddition of electoral data. by 1838 the plates had been acquired by W. Robson & Co. who published and sold the maps individually, and also used them in their commercial directories. This example is from the first edition of 1830. Original colour.
Ref: HRE 009
 
Ordnance Survey    Ordnance Survey 1 inch map - Old Series -Sheet 43, North East quartersheet 1860's? (1831)
£25
40 x 33cm


Covers eastern Herefordshire,the southern Malverns.and parts of Worcestershire and Gloucestershire. The map is dated 1831 when the sheet was originally published, but railway and geological data may suggest a slightly later date.
Ref: HRE 003
 
J. Lodge    Untitled Atlas of the English Counties c1795
£57
26.5 x 32cm


This was one of a set of county maps engraved by John Lodge and issued between 1787 and 1790 in The Political Magazine, and Parliamentary, Naval, Military and Literary Journal, published initially by John Murray, and later by R. Butters. The maps were subsequently collected together and re-issued as an atlas (without title page) around 1795. For this atlas edition the imprint with the publication date and engraver's and publisher's signatures was removed from the maps. This example is from the atlas edition. The maps are well engraved in the plainer style then coming into vogue. They are uncommon, and sought by collectors.
Ref: HRE 005
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas 1828/1833 (1822)
£30
18.5 x 24cm


In 1822 Charles Smith issued a county atlas with maps based on his larger county maps which had been in circulation for over 20 years. The new maps were smaller in scale, but the atlas bore the same title as that in which his larger maps appeared. They are clearly drawn and engraved, but although there were several editions of the atlas, they are today amongst the rarer of the 18th century county maps. This example is from the edition of 1828 or 1833, in which the maps have no date in the imprint, but before railways were added for the edition of 1844. Original outline colour.
Ref: HRE 007
 
H. Teesdale R. Rowe    New British Atlas 1830 (1812-14)
£28
34 x 41cm


This detailed and well engraved map was one of a set first published around 1812-14 by Robert Rowe, who was probably also their draftsman and engraver. The maps were initially sold singly in folding format until their collective issue in 1816 as The English Atlas. The plates were later acquired by Henry Teesdale, who amended titles and imprints and re-issued the work as the New British Atlas in 1829, with several re-issues up to 1842. The plates were later acquired and used by H.G. Collins and then by G. Philip and Son, who both used them as the base for lithographic transfers for a variety of works up to c1860. This example is from the 1830 second edition of Teesdale's atlas. Original wash colour.
Ref: HRE 008
 
E. Langley W. Belch    Langley's New County Atlas of England and Wales 1820 (1818)
£35
17.5 x 30.5cm


Langley and Belch were in partnership from 1807 to 1820, and published their county atlas in 1818. The maps are attractive, with topographical vignettes (though in this case showing cider making rather than the usual view), and usually found in original full wash colour as here. After the dissolution of their partnership the map plates seem to have passed to the bookseller Joseph Phelps. Phelps re-issued the atlas in 1820, but also made the maps available singly, dissected, linen-backed and folding into slip cases - initially still with the Langley and Belch imprint, and subsequently with his own. This is such an example with Langley and Belch imprint to the map dated 1818, and with Phelp's sales label to the accompanying slip case. Slight print offsetting.
Ref: HRE 012
 

Topographical prints - other areas

A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£8
17.5 x 31.5cm


Brompton Brian and Goodrich Castles. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically two (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. This print, engraved by Lowry, offers two views on one sheet. Brampton Bryan Castle in NW Herefordshire guards the Teme valley route from Ludlow into central Wales. It was first mentioned in Domesday Book. Since 1294 it has been owned by the Harley family, but fell into decay after damage in 2 civil war sieges. Goodrich Castle stands on the River Wye to the south of the county, and dates from the mid 12th century. It was also besieged in the civil war and subsequently sleighted. Its ruins are owned and opened to the public by English Heritage.The print is supplied with the original accompanying text from the work.
Ref: TOP 276
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£7
16.5 x 11cm


Hereford Cathedral. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically two (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Today's Hereford Cathedral was begun in 1079, replacing an earlier church which had occupied the site for around 200 years. Its greatest treasure is probably a 13th century Mappa Mundi (map of the world).
Ref: TOP 277