Copperplate

Northamptonshire : 33 items

Maps

C. Saxton P. Lea    The Shires of England & Wales 1732-48 (1579)
£1250
51 x 39cm


In c1689 Philip Lea published a new edition of Saxton's atlas, the plates being much revised to include roads and town plans. Lea's plates were acquired by George Wildey in 1730 who added his own imprint and sold the maps singly or in atlas format. The Saxton map originally covered the 5 counties of Northants, Beds, Hunts. Rutland and Cambridge. Lea's revisions obliterated much of Cambridge and Wildey had to have a new map of this county engraved for the atlas. Old colour. A very good example of this most desirable and scarce map. G. Wildey imprint.
Ref: NTN 516
 
W. Kip    Camden's Britannia 1637 (1607)
£210
35.5 x 28cm


The 1607 edition of Britannia was the first to include a set of county maps, drawn and engraved by Kip and Hole. These subsequently appeared in the next two editions of 1610 (the first with English text), and 1637. This example is from the 1637 edition. Minor bottom centrefold repair, not affecting the printed area.
Ref: NTN 517
 
W. Kip    Camden's Britannia 1637 (1607)
£230
35.5 x 28cm


The first five editions of Camden's successful history and topography of Britain were without maps, but for the sixth edition of 1607 the engravers William Hole and William Kip were commissioned to provide a set of maps of the counties of England and Wales, plus 3 general maps of the countries comprising the new "United Kingdom". These maps were retained for the subsequent 1610 and 1637 editions. They are based on the earlier work of Saxton, Norden, Smith and Owen. This attractively coloured example is from the 1637 edition.
Ref: NTN 518
 
J. Speed    Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine 1676 (1612)
£450
50 x 38cm


John Speed's maps of the English and Welsh counties are amongst the most decorative of early, British cartographic work, and are eagerly sought after today. They were first published in 1612 in The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine, designed as a companion volume to Speed's History of Great Britaine. The maps were based on the earlier surveys of Saxton, Norden and a few others, with engraving contracted to Jodocus Hondius whose signature appears on 33 of the maps. Speed's greatest innovation was the inclusion of inset plans of major towns and cities. Although some were copied from earlier work, for many towns this was first plan ever published. Speed's county atlas was re-issued a number of times for a period of around 160 years, with new publishers making various small changes and updates to the maps over time. This example bears the imprint of Basset & Chiswell, dating it to the 1676 edition. Repair to top centrefold.
Ref: NTN 520
 
G. Valck J. Jansson P. Schenk    Schenk and Valk Composite Atlases and sold singly 1694 - c1715 (1646)
£335
48.5 x 37cm


Original full colour in excellent condition. The plates of Jansson's British maps were acquired by Peter Schenk and Gerard Valk in 1694. The new owners' imprint was substituted and a graticule of grid lines was added to most maps . The delineation of major towns was also amended to show plan views. The maps were sold singly and in made-up atlases.
Ref: NTN 1406
 
F. Grose J. Seller    The Antiquities of England & Wales 1787-1809 (1695)
£25
14.5 x 12cm


With descriptive text below and to verso. In 1695 John Seller published a county atlas titled Anglia Contracta. The plates were much later acquired by Francis Grose, revised, and used in a supplement to his partwork on British antiquities. The supplement with maps was first published in 1787, and ran to several later editions.
Ref: NTN 524
 
E. Bowen J. Owen    Britannia Depicta 1720
£40
11.5 x 18cm


Britannia Depicta was one of 3 pocket-sized reductions of Ogilby's road book that appeared within an 18 month timeframe between 1719 and 1720. It was more innovative than the others in including much additional topographical and historical information (researched by John Owen) on the maps. The work was a commercial success and ran to many later editions, this example being from the first edition of 1720.
Ref: NTN 525
 
J. Ellis    Ellis's English Atlas 1766 (1765)
£60
19 x 25.5cm


Joseph Ellis's English Atlas was an entry into the market for small county atlases by its publishers Robert Sayer and Carington Bowles. The county maps were closely based upon those drawn by Thomas Kitchin for the 1763 topographical work England Illustrated, the major difference being the attractive vignettes which replaced Kitchin's rococco cartouches. The atlas was first published in 1765, and soon became a commercial success, running to many later editions. It was promoted as a travelling atlas, and made available in various formats. These included a version with the maps printed back to back on each page, as with this example from a 1766 edition which has a map of Norfolk on the reverse.
Ref: NTN 528
 
J. Cary    New and Correct English Atlas 1809 (1787)
£24
26.5 x 21cm


The last decades of the 18th century saw less emphasis being placed on the traditions of decorative mapmaking in favour of a plainer style and design. Foremost amongst this new wave of "modern" cartographers and engravers was John Cary. The New and Correct English Atlas was Cary's first major production as a publisher in his own account. The maps were not only clearly and elegantly drawn and engraved, but also set new standards in accuracy in taking advantage of all the new large-scale county surveys of the second half of the 18th century. The atlas was first published in 1787, with a re-issue in 1793. By 1808 the plates were well worn, and the engraving of a new set was begun. The next dated edition of 1809, from which this example comes, utilised these new plates. Original outline colour.
Ref: NTN 529
 
J. Aiken    England Delineated 1790
£13
10.5 x 13.5cm


John Aikin (or Aiken) wrote this topographical work for children in order "to make my young countrymen better acquainted than they are usually found to be with their native land". The first edition of 1788 did not include county maps, but these were added for the second edition of 1790, from which this example comes. The work was published by Joseph Johnson, but the maps are unsigned. There were four later editions of the book with the maps, and one without. The Northamptonshire map is fairly simple, befitting the needs of its target audience, and the text may be available at no extra charge.
Ref: NTN 531
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas 1808 (1804)
£75
49.5 x 44.5cm


Charles Smith was a successful London publisher and map-seller, whose work is stylistically very similar to that of John Cary. His large format New English Atlas first came to market in 1804, but many of the maps have also been found in folding format and may have been sold individually before the publication of the atlas. Smith's maps were well designed and accurate, making use of the large scale county surveys of the previous half-century. The atlas was a commercial success and was up-dated and re-published regularly until c1865 (the latter editions produced by lithographic transfer). This example is from the 1808 second edition, and is in bright and original full colour.
Ref: NTN 532
 
B. Capper    Topographical Dictionary of the UK 1808
£11
17.5 x 10.5cm


Benjamin Pitts Capper was the author of this topographical directory, first published by R. Phillips in 1808. The maps were engraved, and possibly drawn by H. Cooper. Later editions of the work carry the imprint of G.and W.B. Whittaker who re-published the book from 1825-34. This example is from the first edition of 1808, with the hundreds shown in original, full wash colour.
Ref: NTN 533
 
J. Cary    New English Atlas 1811 (1809)
£75
53.5 x 48cm


It is suprising that Cary's large county atlas was issued as late as 1809, as individual maps from it seem to have been sold singly from 1801. The atlas format was perhaps to compete with the similarly sized atlas of Charles Smith, which went under the same title and was published in 1804. It is perhaps Cary's finest production, the maps being notable for their fine design, detail and engraving. The atlas ran to several later editions by Cary, and the plates were later used for a variety of lithographic transfers by G.F. Cruchley. This example is from the second edition of 1811, and is in original full colour. Short repaired tear to bottom centrefold, not affecting the printed area.
Ref: NTN 534
 
H. Teesdale R. Rowe    New British Atlas 1812-14 (1830)
£30
41 x 34cm


This detailed and well engraved map was one of a set first published around 1812-14 by Robert Rowe, who was probably also their draftsman and engraver. The maps were initially sold singly in folding format until their collective issue in 1816 as The English Atlas. The plates were later acquired by Henry Teesdale, who amended titles and imprints and re-issued the work as the New British Atlas in 1829, with several re-issues up to 1842. The plates were later acquired and used by H.G. Collins and then by G. Philip and Son, who both used them as the base for lithographic transfers for a variety of works up to c1860. This example is from the 1830 second edition of Teesdale's atlas. Original wash colour. One short, repaired, marginal tear, not affecting the printed image.
Ref: NTN 008
 
C. Greenwood    Atlas of the Counties of England 1834 (1830)
£130
70 x 58cm


Original full colour. Repair to bottom centrefold. A little light offsetting. The Greenwoods surveyed all the counties from 1817-33 for their beautifully engraved county atlas finally published in 1834. Maps were also sold singly as produced. The Northamptonshire map is corrected to 1830, and this example was sold in atlas format.
Ref: NTN 536
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    View of the Representative History of England 1835
£19
24.5 x 20cm


This work was published in 1835 as a companion volume to Lewis's Topographic Dictionary. It contains county and borough maps, drawn by R. Creighton and engaved by J.& C. Walker, and was designed to show the electoral and boundary changes effected by the 1832 Reform Act. There were 2 issues of the work in 1835 and 1840, this example of the county map being from the 1835 first edition. Original outline colour.
Ref: NTN 003
 
Anon.    Publication not known. c1850s
£5
19.5 x 15cm


An uncoloured lithographic transfer, the origin of which I have so far been unable to discover. 4 punch holes to top margin outside the printed area.
Ref: NTN 539
 
R. Ramble W. Darton    Reuben Ramble's Travel's through the Counties of England 1845
£50
15 x 19cm


These maps (without the decorative borders) were first issued in 1821 in Miller's New Miniature Atlas. The plates were later acquired by William Darton who re-issued them as a miniature atlas, but also used the maps, now further embellished by country scenes, in this children's work. Reuben Ramble is an invented character. Original colour to the illustrations.
Ref: NTN 021
 
B. Clarke R. Rowe    The British Gazetteer 1852 (1816)
£20
41 x 33.5cm


These maps first appeared in Rowe's English Atlas of 1816, being subsequently acquired by a succession of later publishers and used in a variety of their works. They were modified and updated during this time. This example is the second lithographic transfer for Clarke's British Gazetteer, published in 1852 by H.G. Collins. Folded and trimmed close to bottom right hand border to fit the volume. A short, marginal repaired tear abutting but not within the right hand border.
Ref: NTN 1180
 
J. Harrison    Maps of the English Counties 1791 (1788)
£55
33 x 46cm


Harrison's atlas was published in 1791, but maps were engraved and dated between 1787 and 1791, and may have been sold singly as completed. Northamptonshire is dated 1788, and carries the names of Haywood and Sudlow as draftsman and engraver respectively. A small pinhole, backed with archival tissue.
Ref: NTN 006
 
J. Lodge    Untitled Atlas of the English Counties c1795
£50
26.5 x 32.5cm


This was one of a set of county maps engraved by John Lodge and issued between 1787 and 1790 in The Political Magazine, and Parliamentary, Naval, Military and Literary Journal, published initially by John Murray, and later by R. Butters. The maps were subsequently collected together and re-issued as an atlas (without title page) around 1795. For this atlas edition the imprint with the publication date and engraver's and publisher's signatures was removed from the maps. This example is from the atlas edition. The maps are well engraved in the plainer style then coming into vogue. They are uncommon, and sought by collectors. Repairs to centrefold and to one short internal tear. A soft diagonal crease. Mounted ready for framing.
Ref: NTN 002
 
T. Murray    An Atlas of the English Counties 1830
£30
45.5 x 36cm


The title page of Murray's county atlas states that the maps were "Projected on the basis of the Trigonometrical Survey by order of the hon.ble The Board of Ordnance, under the superindendance of T.L. Murray". This might seem to imply the project had at least the official blessing, if not the active involvement of the Ordnance Survey, but is more likely to be a marketing puff. D. Hodson has suggested that the maps were copied from those of William Ebden published from 1825-8, both sets also being engraved by the same firm of Hoare & Reeves. Murray's Atlas was first published in 1830, with second and third editions in 1831 and 1832, the latter with the adddition of electoral data. by 1838 the plates had been acquired by W. Robson & Co. who published and sold the maps individually, and also used them in their commercial directories. This example is from the first edition of 1830. Original colour. A short, repaired tear in the top margin, not affecting the image.
Ref: NTN 009
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas (reduced maps) 1828or 1833 (1822)
£32
18.5 x 23.5cm


In 1822 Charles Smith issued a county atlas with maps based on his larger county maps which had been in circulation for over 20 years. The new maps were smaller in scale, but the atlas bore the same title as that in which his larger maps appeared. They are clearly drawn and engraved, but although there were several editions of the atlas, they are today amongst the rarer of the 18th century county maps. This example is from the edition of 1828 or 1833, in which the maps have no date in the imprint, but before railways were added for the edition of 1844. Original outline colour.
Ref: NTN 007
 
A. Fullarton    The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840-49 (1833)
£35
24 x 18.5cm


These maps were first published by Fullarton and Co. in 1833 in James Bell's New and Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales which was re-issued three times in the 1830's. They were subsequently re-published (again by Fullarton) in 1840 in The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales, with several further re-issues up to 1849. The maps were engraved on steel and sometimes bear the name of the engraver and sometimes not. This example is from The Parliamentary Gazetteer. It bears the name of R. Scott as engraver. Supplied mounted and ready for framing.
Ref: NTN 010
 
T. Dix W. Darton    The Counties of England 1818
£125
43.5 x 35.5cm


Thomas Dix initiated this atlas project some time around 1816, but after his death it was carried on to completion by the publisher William Darton. The Atlas was issued in 1822, though individual maps from the first edition bear various dates between 1816 and 1821. Apart from the atlas format the maps were also sold individually, usually dissected and linen-backed and folding into boards. This example is unusual. It is an early issue, dated 1818, and is linen-backed but not dissected. It would appear to have been sold singly, and although there are old, probably original folds, there is no sign of boards. It was purchased with six other Dix county maps similarly presented, one of which bears the manuscript signature of J. Walker and the date 13th Jan 1825. The set were of contiguous eastern counties, and may have been bought by Mr Walker to assist his travels in this area. As is usually the case, the map is in attractive and original full wash colour, and all editions are relatively scarce.
Ref: NTN 011
 
S. Hall    A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1831
£15
18.5 x 24.0cm


John Gorton's Topographical Dictionary.. was first published in 1831, with 54 maps drawn and engraved by Sidney Hall. The maps were re-issued between 1833 and 1875 (from 1859 as lithographic transfers from the original plate) under various titles, most commonly as Hall's British Atlas and then as A Travelling County Atlas. This copy is from the first, 1831 edition of Gorton's Topographical Dictionary... Original colour.
Ref: NTN 012
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    A Topographical Dictionary of England 1840-49 (1833)
£10
17.5 x 23cm


Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary was first published in 1831, and there were a mumber or re-issues up to 1849. The county maps, which were drawn by R. Creighton and engraved by J.& C. Walker, were sometimes published with the text and sometimes in a separate, accompanying atlas volume. This example dates from an edition between 1840 and 1849.
Ref: NTN 015
 
G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£30
16 x 20cm


The New British Traveller was originally issued as a weekly partwork by the publisher Alexander Hogg, commencing in 1783. Once the series of 60 parts was completed in 1784 title pages were provided for the pages to be bound in a single volume. The work is a topographical review of Great Britain, containing numerous prints and a set of county and general maps. The maps are of varying sizes, being typically arranged 2,3 or 4 to a single page, with adjoining borders. When separated this means individual maps will be trimmed to the border on one or two sides and are often re-margined for mounting and framing. The map of Northants. is re-margined on one side and sold ready-mounted. The text pages for the county may be available on request at no extra charge. A small hole.
Ref: NTN 016
 

Topographical prints - other areas

A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£10
21.5 x 32cm


Northampton, Lichfield and Sherborne. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. This print shows panoramic views of 3 towns spread across the country, including the county town of Northants. A little light foxing to the margins which would be hidden by a mount.
Ref: TOP 152
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£10
23 x 35.5cm


Castle Ashby & Sponne Gate, Coventry & East Gate, Chester. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. This anonymous print offers 3 views. Castle Ashby is the ancestral home of the Compton family, built on lands given to the family in 1512. In 1574 Lord Compton demolished the old 13th century castle on the estate to build the present house, still standing today and occupied by the present Earl Compton. The gardens and grounds were, in part, designed by Lancelot "Capability" Brown, and are open to the public. Spon gate was one of the 12 gates in Coventry's defensive walls, constructed in the 14th century. It was demolished in the late 18th century. Chester's East gate, stands on the site of one of the 4 original gates into the Roman Legionary Fortress which occupied the site. The present gate was built in 1768, with its clock added in 1899. The print has narrow vertical margins and a nick to the upper-left border, but would mount-up successfully.
Ref: TOP 153
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The New British Traveller 1784
£8
24.5 x 16.5cm


Daventry Priory. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. Daventry's Cluniac Priory was origianlly founded in Preston Capes, with 4 monks, but shortly afterwards removed to Daventry. It was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1525, and the site given to what is now Christ Church College, Oxford.The Priory church became the town's Parish Church, until the late 18th century, when it was replaced by today's parish church.
Ref: TOP 080
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£8
18.5 x 14.5cm


Boughton Church. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically 2 (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. The village of Boughton lies 4 miles to the north of Northampton's town centre, being today a suburb of the town. The church illustrated in this print, engraved by Peltro, is the Old Church of St. John, which was a picturesque ruin at the time this print was taken, its tower and spire standing a few years longer until c1785. A few fragments may still be found to the north of the village green. The Old Church was replaced as the parish church by what had hitherto been the Chapel of St. John the Baptist, dating from c1350. It has been much extended since then and still serves the parish.
Ref: TOP 324
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£8
18 x 14.5cm


St. Sepulchre's Church, Northampton. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically 2 (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. The Church of the Holy Sepulchre is one of only 4 surviving round churches in the country. It was founded in the early 12th century by Simon de Senlis, and is probably modelled on the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem (which de Senlis is likely to have visited when he took part in the first crusade). The original short nave was later extended and a chancel and aisles were added. The church was extensively restored in the 19th century by George Gilbert Scott. This print, engraved by Wooding, is supplied with the original, accompanying text from the work.
Ref: TOP 325