Copperplate

Northumberland : 27 items

Maps

R. Morden    Camden's Britannia 1695
£110
35.5 x 41.5cm


Camden's Britannia - a history and topography of Britain - was first published in 1586 and had a long and successful publication history. County maps by Kip and Hole were addded in 1607, and these also appeared in the editions of 1610 and 1637. Over 50 year's later it was decided to issue a new and updated edition. The original Latin text was re-translated by Edmund Gibson, and Robert Morden was commissioned to provide a new set of county and general maps in a more modern style. The revised work was issued in 1695. There were 4 further editions of the Gibson/Morden work, the last in 1772, before a further updated version by Richard Gough was launched in 1789, with new maps by John Cary. This example is from the first Gibson edition of 1695. Repair to centrefold.
Ref: NMB 541
 
F. Grose J. Seller    The Antiquities of England & Wales 1787-1809 (1695)
£25
14.5 x 12cm


With descriptive text below and to verso. In 1695 John Seller published a county atlas titled Anglia Contracta. The plates were much later acquired by Francis Grose, revised, and used in a supplement to his partwork on British antiquities. The supplement with maps was first published in 1787, and ran to several later editions.
Ref: NMB 542
 
E. Bowen J. Owen    Britannia Depicta 1720
£40
11.5 x 18cm


Britannia Depicta was one of 3 pocket-sized reductions of Ogilby's road book that appeared within an 18 month timeframe between 1719 and 1720. It was more innovative than the others in including much additional topographical and historical information (researched by John Owen) on the maps. The work was a commercial success and ran to many later editions, this example being from the first edition of 1720.
Ref: NMB 543
 
E. Bowen    Royal English Atlas 1777 (c1764)
£185
41 x 50cm


The Royal English Atlas, first published around 1764, was probably an attempt to repeat the commercial success of The Large English Atlas, with a somewhat smaller format. The maps were again engraved by Kitchin and Bowen, and the partners in the enterprise were based around the consortium that had finally brought out The Large English Atlas in 1760. This time, however, they misjudged the market, and although there were some later re-issues of the atlas, the modern rarity of the maps suggests it was not very successful. This example, dated 1777, bears the publishers' imprint of R. Sayer,J. Bennett, J. Bowles and C. Bowles. Slight browning to the outer margins, and centrefold repairs without loss. Original outline colour.
Ref: NMB 020
 
J. Ellis    Ellis's English Atlas 1766 (1765)
£50
19 x 25cm


Joseph Ellis's English Atlas was an entry into the market for small county atlases by its publishers Robert Sayer and Carington Bowles. The county maps were closely based upon those drawn by Thomas Kitchin for the 1763 topographical work England Illustrated, the major difference being the attractive vignettes which replaced Kitchin's rococco cartouches. The atlas was first published in 1765, and soon became a commercial success, running to many later editions. It was promoted as a travelling atlas, and made available in various formats. These included a version with the maps printed back to back on each page, as with this example from a 1766 edition which has a map of Nottinghamshire on the reverse.
Ref: NMB 555
 
J. Harrison    Maps of the English Counties 1791 (1789)
£45
33 x 46cm


Harrison's atlas was published in 1791, but maps were engraved and dated between 1787 and 1791, and may have been sold singly as completed. Northumberland is dated 1789, and carries the names of Haywood and Sudlow as draftsman and engraver respectively.
Ref: NMB 004
 
J. Cary    Camden's Britannia 1806 (1789)
£55
39.5 x 51cm


Camden's Britannia was first published in 1586. County maps by Kip and Hole were first added in 1607, being supplanted by those of Robert Morden for the 5 editions from 1695 to 1772. In 1789 a new translation of the work by Richard Gough was published by T. Payne and G. & J. Robinson with updated and modernised maps by John Cary. The same maps were also later used in Cary's New British Atlas of 1805. They can be found uncoloured, with outline colour and with full wash colour. This example is from the second Gough edition of Britannia, published in 1806, and the maps are in full wash colour - the most desirable state. Close trimmed to right hand border but outside the printed area.
Ref: NMB 557
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas 1808 (1804)
£75
44 x 49cm


Charles Smith was a successful London publisher and map-seller, whose work is stylistically very similar to that of John Cary. His large format New English Atlas first came to market in 1804, but many of the maps have also been found in folding format and may have been sold individually before the publication of the atlas. Smith's maps were well designed and accurate, making use of the large scale county surveys of the previous half-century. The atlas was a commercial success and was up-dated and re-published regularly until c1865 (the latter editions produced by lithographic transfer). This example is from the 1808 second edition, and is in bright and original full colour.
Ref: NMB 559
 
B. Capper    Topographical Dictionary of the UK 1808
£11
10 x 18cm


Benjamin Pitts Capper was the author of this topographical directory, first published by R. Phillips in 1808. The maps were engraved, and possibly drawn by H. Cooper. Later editions of the work carry the imprint of G.and W.B. Whittaker who re-published the book from 1825-34. This example is from the first edition of 1808, with the hundreds shown in original, full wash colour.
Ref: NMB 560
 
J. Cary    New English Atlas 1811 (1809)
£75
48 x 53.5cm


It is suprising that Cary's large county atlas was issued as late as 1809, as individual maps from it seem to have been sold singly from 1801. The atlas format was perhaps to compete with the similarly sized atlas of Charles Smith, which went under the same title and was published in 1804. It is perhaps Cary's finest production, the maps being notable for their fine design, detail and engraving. The atlas ran to several later editions by Cary, and the plates were later used for a variety of lithographic transfers by G.F. Cruchley. This example is from the second edition of 1811, and is in original full colour.
Ref: NMB 561
 
C. Greenwood    Atlas of the Counties of England 1834 (1831)
£120
61.5 x 60cm


Original full colour. Repaired tear impinging c7cm within bottom centre of the printed area. The Greenwoods surveyed all the counties from 1817-33 for their beautifully engraved county atlas finally published in 1834. Maps were also sold singly as produced. The Northumberland map is corrected to 1831, and this example was sold in atlas format.
Ref: NMB 563
 
J. Barclay T. Moule    Barclay's Universal English Dictionary 1842 (1837)
£25
19.5 x 27cm


Thomas Moule's antiquarian leanings are evident in this series of highly decorative county maps - a stylistic throwback in an age when cartographic work had become much plainer and more utilitarian. The maps were engraved by W. Smollinger, J. Bingley and J. Dower, and first appeared in Moule's English Counties Delineated, a partwork with text issued from 1830-32. They were subsequently made available as a complete work in 1837 under the same title, and were later re-issued in Barclay's Universal English Dictionary between 1842 and 1852. This latter work ran to several editions and the maps were often updated between editions to show the latest growth of the railway network. This example in modern colour is from the 1842 edition of Barclay's Dictionary in which the maps are usually found close trimmed. Two repaired tears at bottom of map impinging c2 cm into the printed area - priced accordingly.
Ref: NMB 564
 
J. Duncan    A Complete County Atlas of England and Wales 1840-45 (1825)
£40
34.5 x 44cm


Coloured. These maps were first published in 1825, and probably sold singly. In 1833 they were re-published by James Duncan in a thematic atlas to illustrate the representative changes brought about by the 1832 Reform Act. There were later re-issues in 1840 and 1845 with the addition of railways, and this map dates from one of these editions. A little light offsetting.
Ref: NMB 1112
 
J. Lodge    Untitled Atlas of the English Counties c1795
£60
26.5 x 32cm


This was one of a set of county maps engraved by John Lodge and issued between 1787 and 1790 in The Political Magazine, and Parliamentary, Naval, Military and Literary Journal, published initially by John Murray, and later by R. Butters. The maps were subsequently collected together and re-issued as an atlas (without title page) around 1795. For this atlas edition the imprint with the publication date and engraver's and publisher's signatures was removed from the maps. This example is from the atlas edition. The maps are well engraved in the plainer style then coming into vogue. They are uncommon, and sought by collectors.
Ref: NMB 001
 
J. Cary    Traveller's Companion 1790-1828 (1790)
£15
9 x 13cm


Original outline colour. Cary's Traveller's Companion was first published in 1790. It proved very popular as a pocket road book, and ran to several editions up to c 1828.
Ref: NMB 1219
 
J. Jansson    Atlas Novus 1646/1649 (1646)
£275
49 x 40.5cm


Jan Jansson was one of Amsterdam's leading 17th century mapmakers, and a close rival to the Blaeu family. His multi-volume world atlas first saw the introduction of 6 maps of individual English counties into the German edition of 1636, and a further 11 of English and Welsh counties in the Dutch edition of 1644. But when Jansson saw the 1645 Blaeu volume with more decorative maps covering all the English and Welsh counties, he felt obliged to revise his existing plates and complete the set in order to compete. His new volume covering England and Wales was first published in the 1646 Latin text edition of the Atlas Novus. There were several later editions by Jansson, and later issues by Schenk and Valk who acquired the plates in 1694. Latin text to verso dates this copy as from the 1646 or 1659 editions. Original colour. Minor centrefold repairs, not impinging the printed area.
Ref: NMB 1220
 
J. Luffman    A New Pocket Atlas and Geography of England and Wales 1806 (1803)
£55
14 x 7cm


John Luffman's atlas was designed as a geographical aid to children. It was first issued in 1803, with a second edition in 1806 which is distinguished, as with this example, by the positioning of the plate number immediately above the circular map. It is uncommon. Short repaired tear to top margin not affecting the printed area.
Ref: NMB 013
 
H. Teesdale R. Rowe    New British Atlas 1830 (1812-14)
£30
34 x 41cm


This detailed and well engraved map was one of a set first published around 1812-14 by Robert Rowe, who was probably also their draftsman and engraver. The maps were initially sold singly in folding format until their collective issue in 1816 as The English Atlas. The plates were later acquired by Henry Teesdale, who amended titles and imprints and re-issued the work as the New British Atlas in 1829, with several re-issues up to 1842. The plates were later acquired and used by H.G. Collins and then by G. Philip and Son, who both used them as the base for lithographic transfers for a variety of works up to c1860. This example is from the 1830 second edition of Teesdale's atlas. Original wash colour.
Ref: NMB 006
 
J. Speed    England Fully Described in a Complete Set of Mapps of ye Countys of England and Wales, with their Islands c1713-43 (1612)
£425
50 x 38cm


John Speed's maps of the English and Welsh counties are amongst the most decorative of early, British cartographic work, and are eagerly sought after today. They were first published in 1612 in The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine, designed as a companion volume to Speed's History of Great Britaine. The maps were based on the earlier surveys of Saxton, Norden and a few others, with engraving contracted to Jodocus Hondius whose signature appears on 33 of the maps. Speed's greatest innovation was the inclusion of inset plans of major towns and cities. Although some were copied from earlier work, for many towns this was first plan ever published. Speed's county atlas was re-issued a number of times for a period of around 160 years, with new publishers making various small changes and updates to the maps over time. This example bears the imprint of Henry Overton - one of the rarer imprints found on Speed maps - and could have been issued either in a complete Speed atlas, or in one of Overton's "composite" atlases, using individual maps from various sources. Overton probably also sold Speed's maps singly.
Ref: NMB 1407
 
T. Murray    An Atlas of the English Counties 1830
£28
35.5 x 45cm


The title page of Murray's county atlas states that the maps were "Projected on the basis of the Trigonometrical Survey by order of the hon.ble The Board of Ordnance, under the superindendance of T.L. Murray". This might seem to imply the project had at least the official blessing, if not the active involvement of the Ordnance Survey, but is more likely to be a marketing puff. D. Hodson has suggested that the maps were copied from those of William Ebden published from 1825-8, both sets also being engraved by the same firm of Hoare & Reeves. Murray's Atlas was first published in 1830, with second and third editions in 1831 and 1832, the latter with the adddition of electoral data. by 1838 the plates had been acquired by W. Robson & Co. who published and sold the maps individually, and also used them in their commercial directories. This example is from the first edition of 1830. Original colour.
Ref: NMB 008
 
A. Perrot     L' Angleterre, ou Description Historique et Topographique du Royaume de la Grande-Bretagne 1824-35
£65
6.5 x 10.5cm


The text for this French topographical work on Britain was written by George Depping, the maps being drawn by Aristide Perrot and engraved by A. Migneret. It was first published in 1824, with subsequent editions in 1828 and 1835. The maps often cover more than one county as in this example which also includes Durham. The surrounding decorative border shows the typical produce and wares of the counties. Original outline colour. A few small, light-brown spots.
Ref: NMB 023
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    View of the Representative History of England 1835
£18
19 x 24cm


This work was published in 1835 as a companion volume to Lewis's Topographic Dictionary. It contains county and borough maps, drawn by R. Creighton and engaved by J.& C. Walker, and was designed to show the electoral and boundary changes effected by the 1832 Reform Act. There were 2 issues of the work in 1835 and 1840, this example of the county map being from the 1835 first edition. Original outline colour.
Ref: NMB 002
 
G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£33
15.5 x 19cm


The New British Traveller was originally issued as a weekly partwork by the publisher Alexander Hogg, commencing in 1783. Once the series of 60 parts was completed in 1784 title pages were provided for the pages to be bound in a single volume. The work is a topographical review of Great Britain, containing numerous prints and a set of county and general maps. The maps are of varying sizes, being typically arranged 2,3 or 4 to a single page, with adjoining borders. When separated this means individual maps will be trimmed to the border on one or two sides and are often re-margined for mounting and framing. The map of Northumberland is re-margined on one side and sold ready-mounted. The text pages for the county may be available on request at no extra charge.
Ref: NMB 010
 

Topographical prints - other areas

A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£10
18 x 14.5cm


Monastery of the Black Friars, Newcastle. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically 2 (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. The order of Dominicans (The Blackfriars) founded their friary in Newcastle in 1239. It is sited to the NW of the city centre just within the city walls. Upon the dissolution of the monasteries, most of the buildings were demolished and the site passed to the city Corporation, who in 1552 leased out the remaining cloister buildings to the city's craft guilds. With the decline of the guilds the buildings fell into disrepair. They were restored by the Corporation between 1973 and 81, and are now leased out as craft workshops and a restaurant, though the Tanners Guild also still meet there. This print, engraved by Hawkins, is supplied with the original, accompanying text from the work.
Ref: TOP 328
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£8
19 x 14.5cm


Mitford Castle. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically 2 (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Mitford Castle dates from the late 11th century, and had a number of owners before it was destroyed in the early 14th century, possibly by the Scots. Much of its stone was used to build a Jacoberan Mansion, but the remaining, imposing ruins still stand on a hill overlooking the small town of Mitford, near Morpeth. Its current owners are conserving and restoring the remains with grant aid from English Heritage. This print, engraved by Roberts, is supplied with the original, accompanying text from the work. A few spots.
Ref: TOP 330
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£10
18.5 x 32cm


Lindisfarne Abbey. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically 2 (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. The island of Lindisfarne (or Holy Island) lies 1 mile off the north Northumbrian coast, and joined to the mainland at low tide.A Priory was founded there by St. Aidan in 634 AD, and which under St. Cuthbert became a leading centre for learning and the Christian faith, producing such works as the still surviving Lindisfarne Gospels. The monks fled the island in 878 after attacks by the Vikings and Danes, but the Priory was re-established in 1093, and continued until the dissolution of the monasteries, after which the buildings decayed. The ruins are today in the care of English Heritage and open to the public. This print, engraved by Wooding, offers 2 views on one sheet, and is supplied with the original, accompanying text from the work. A couple of light spots.
Ref: TOP 335
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£10
18.5 x 31.5cm


Hulne Abbey. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically 2 (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Hulne Abbey was a Carmelite Priory founded in 1240 near Alnwick. After the dissolution of the monasteries the site passed to the Percy Family, Dukes of Northumberland. It is still owned by them and the substantial ruins in what is now Hulne Park are open to the public (pedestrians only). This print , engraved by Peltro, offers 2 views on one sheet, and is supplied with the original text from the work. A little marred by foxing.
Ref: TOP 337