Copperplate

Shropshire : 41 items

Maps

W. Hole    Camden's Britannia 1637 (1607)
£185
33.5 x 27cm


The first five editions of Camden's successful history and topography of Britain were without maps, but for the sixth edition of 1607 the engravers William Hole and William Kip were commissioned to provide a set of maps of the counties of England and Wales, plus 3 general maps of the countries comprising the new "United Kingdom". These maps were retained for the subsequent 1610 and 1637 editions. They are based on the earlier work of Saxton, Norden, Smith and Owen. This attractively coloured example is from the 1637 edition. Minor repair to lower centrefold and a few marginal nicks, all outside the printed area.
Ref: SHR 620
 
R. Morden    Camden's Britannia 1695
£85
41 x 36cm


Camden's Britannia - a history and topography of Britain - was first published in 1586 and had a long and successful publication history. County maps by Kip and Hole were addded in 1607, and these also appeared in the editions of 1610 and 1637. Over 50 year's later it was decided to issue a new and updated edition. The original Latin text was re-translated by Edmund Gibson, and Robert Morden was commissioned to provide a new set of county and general maps in a more modern style. The revised work was issued in 1695. There were 4 further editions of the Gibson/Morden work, the last in 1772, before a further updated version by Richard Gough was launched in 1789, with new maps by John Cary. This example is from the first Gibson edition of 1695. Repair to lower centrefold with minor loss. A few marginal repaired nicks. Priced accordingly.
Ref: SHR 621
 
E. Bowen J. Owen    Britannia Depicta 1720
£36
11.5 x 18cm


Britannia Depicta was one of 3 pocket-sized reductions of Ogilby's road book that appeared within an 18 month timeframe between 1719 and 1720. It was more innovative than the others in including much additional topographical and historical information (researched by John Owen) on the maps. The work was a commercial success and ran to many later editions, this example being from the first edition of 1720.
Ref: SHR 622
 
T. Kitchin    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1789 (1752)
£50
16.5 x 21.5cm


This map was first published in the July 1752 edition of the London Magazine, which between 1747 and 1754 issued a complete set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin. The maps were later re-published by Alexander Hogg in Boswell's Antiquities of England & Wales, initially in partwork from c 1787-9, and then in several complete editions of the work up to 1798. This example of the Shropshire map is from the first complete edition of Boswell's Antiquities dating from c1789.
Ref: SHR 039
 
J. Ellis    Ellis's English Atlas 1766 (1765)
£65
19 x 24.5cm


Joseph Ellis's English Atlas was an entry into the market for small county atlases by its publishers Robert Sayer and Carington Bowles. The county maps were closely based upon those drawn by Thomas Kitchin for the 1763 topographical work England Illustrated, the major difference being the attractive vignettes which replaced Kitchin's rococco cartouches. The atlas was first published in 1765, and soon became a commercial success, running to many later editions. It was promoted as a travelling atlas, and made available in various formats. These included a version with the maps printed back to back on each page, as with this example from a 1766 edition which has a map of Somerset on the reverse.
Ref: SHR 624
 
J. Cary    New and Correct English Atlas 1809 (1787)
£24
21 x 26cm


The last decades of the 18th century saw less emphasis being placed on the traditions of decorative mapmaking in favour of a plainer style and design. Foremost amongst this new wave of "modern" cartographers and engravers was John Cary. The New and Correct English Atlas was Cary's first major production as a publisher in his own account. The maps were not only clearly and elegantly drawn and engraved, but also set new standards in accuracy in taking advantage of all the new large-scale county surveys of the second half of the 18th century. The atlas was first published in 1787, with a re-issue in 1793. By 1808 the plates were well worn, and the engraving of a new set was begun. The next dated edition of 1809, from which this example comes, utilised these new plates. Original outline colour.
Ref: SHR 625
 
J. Cary    Camden's Britannia 1806 (1789)
£50
42.5 x 49cm


Camden's Britannia was first published in 1586. County maps by Kip and Hole were first added in 1607, being supplanted by those of Robert Morden for the 5 editions from 1695 to 1772. In 1789 a new translation of the work by Richard Gough was published by T. Payne and G. & J. Robinson with updated and modernised maps by John Cary. The same maps were also later used in Cary's New British Atlas of 1805. They can be found uncoloured, with outline colour and with full wash colour. This example is from the second Gough edition of Britannia, published in 1806, and the maps are in full wash colour - the most desirable state. Close trimmed to right and left borders (within left hand border) to fit publication. A few repaired nicks and nibbles to margins and a short repaired tear along a fold. Folded to fit the format of the volume.
Ref: SHR 626
 
J. Aiken    England Delineated 1790
£13
10.5 x 14.5cm


John Aikin (or Aiken) wrote this topographical work for children in order "to make my young countrymen better acquainted than they are usually found to be with their native land". The first edition of 1788 did not include county maps, but these were added for the second edition of 1790, from which this example comes. The work was published by Joseph Johnson, but the maps are unsigned. There were four later editions of the book with the maps, and one without. The Shropshire map is fairly simple, befitting the needs of its target audience, and the text may be available at no extra charge.
Ref: SHR 627
 
B. Capper    Topographical Dictionary of the UK 1808
£11
10 x 18cm


Benjamin Pitts Capper was the author of this topographical directory, first published by R. Phillips in 1808. The maps were engraved, and possibly drawn by H. Cooper. Later editions of the work carry the imprint of G.and W.B. Whittaker who re-published the book from 1825-34. This example is from the first edition of 1808, with the hundreds shown in original, full wash colour.
Ref: SHR 628
 
H. Teesdale R. Rowe    New British Atlas 1830 (1812-14)
£35
34 x 41cm


This detailed and well engraved map was one of a set first published around 1812-14 by Robert Rowe, who was probably also their draftsman and engraver. The maps were initially sold singly in folding format until their collective issue in 1816 as The English Atlas. The plates were later acquired by Henry Teesdale, who amended titles and imprints and re-issued the work as the New British Atlas in 1829, with several re-issues up to 1842. The plates were later acquired and used by H.G. Collins and then by G. Philip and Son, who both used them as the base for lithographic transfers for a variety of works up to c1860. This example is from the 1830 second edition of Teesdale's atlas. Original wash colour.
Ref: SHR 033
 
J. Pigot    British Atlas 1839-42 (1829)
£40
21.5 x 36cm


James Pigot & Co's county maps were issued in their British Atlas (from c1829), in several of their national and local business directories (from 1826 for the "home counties", at least), and singly in folding form as travelling maps. They were amongst the first maps to be printed from steel instead of copper plates, allowing more accurate fine detail and less wear to the plates over time. Atlas and directories went through several editions up to around 1857, later editions from 1846 being re-named Slater's New British Atlas, with imprints changed accordingly. Original outline colour. Small abrasion just within the bottom printed border.
Ref: SHR 630
 
A. Fullarton    The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1847 (1833)
£25
19.5 x 24cm


These maps were first published by Fullarton and Co. in 1833 in James Bell's New and Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales which was re-issued three times in the 1830's. They were subsequently re-published (again by Fullarton) in 1840 in The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales, with several further re-issues up to 1849. The maps were engraved on steel and sometimes bear the name of the engraver and sometimes not. This example is from the Parliamentary Gazetteer of 1847 and lacks an engraver's signature.
Ref: SHR 631
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    A Topographical Dictionary of England 1833 or 1835 (1831)
£15
17.5 x 22.5cm


Samuel Lewis first published his Dictionary in 1831, and there were a number of further editions up to 1849. They contained a set of county maps drawn by R. Creighton and engraved by J. & C. Walker. In some editions the maps were interspersed with the text, and in other cases they were combined as a separate atlas volume. This example is from the editions of 1833 or 1835, so distinguished by the electoral notes added above the top border after the Reform Act. These were later replaced by notes relating to the Poor Law Unions.
Ref: SHR 023
 
J. Barclay T. Moule    Barclay's Universal English Dictionary 1842-52 (1837)
£47
20.5 x 26cm


Thomas Moule's antiquarian leanings are evident in this series of highly decorative county maps - a stylistic throwback in an age when cartographic work had become much plainer and more utilitarian. The maps were engraved by W. Smollinger, J. Bingley and J. Dower, and first appeared in Moule's English Counties Delineated, a partwork with text issued from 1830-32. They were subsequently made available as a complete work in 1837 under the same title, and were later re-issued in Barclay's Universal English Dictionary between 1842 and 1852. This latter work ran to several editions and the maps were often updated between editions to show the latest growth of the railway network. This example in modern colour is from an edition of Barclay's Dictionary. Supplied mounted and ready to frame.
Ref: SHR 633
 
J. Duncan    A Complete County Atlas of England and Wales 1840-45 (1825)
£35
34.5 x 43.5cm


Coloured. These maps were first published in 1825, and probably sold singly. In 1833 they were re-published by James Duncan in a thematic atlas to illustrate the representative changes brought about by the 1832 Reform Act. There were later re-issues in 1840 and 1845 with the addition of railways, and this map dates from one of these editions. A little light offsetting.
Ref: SHR 1116
 
B. Clarke R. Rowe    The British Gazetteer 1852 (1816)
£25
33.5 x 41cm


These maps first appeared in Rowe's English Atlas of 1816, being subsequently acquired by a succession of later publishers and used in a variety of their works. They were modified and updated during this time. This example is the second lithographic transfer for Clarke's British Gazetteer, published in 1852 by H.G. Collins. The map was folded and trimmed just within bottom right hand border to fit the volume, and has been re-margined with matching, old paper to facilitate mounting if so desired.
Ref: SHR 1186
 
J. Wallis S. Oddy    Wallis's New British Atlas 1813
£32
18 x 27cm


James Wallis's New British Atlas was first published in 1813 by S.A. Oddy. There was a second edition in 1816. This example is from the 1813 edition, but the Shropshire map is unusual in lacking the publishers imprint and date present on nearly all the other maps in the source atlas. It is in attractive, original, full wash colour.
Ref: SHR1573
 
J. Emslie    Stanford's Geological Atlas of Great Britain c1880-90 (1848)
£15
18 x 24cm


James Emslie was the engraver of the maps for Reynold's Travelling Atlas of England, first published in 1848. In 1860 the maps were adapted to show geological formations and first appeared under the title Reynold's Geological Atlas of Great Britain. Later editions of Reynold's Geological Atlas were by lithographic transfer, and with the maps coloured. This example is from an edition of c1890-1900, as it bears the imprint of Edward Stanford, who took over publication from Reynolds. Original printed colour.
Ref: SHR 015
 
E. Langley W. Belch    Langley's New County Atlas of England and Wales 1820 (1818)
£45
17.5 x 31cm


Langley and Belch were in partnership from 1807 to 1820, and published their county atlas in 1818. The maps are attractive, with topograhical vignettes (in this case a view of Shrewsbury from the River Severn), and usually found in original full wash colour as here. After the dissolution of their partnership the map plates seem to have passed to the bookseller Joseph Phelps. Phelps re-issued the atlas in 1820, but also made the maps available singly, dissected, linen-backed and folding into slip cases. This is such an example with Phelps imprint to the map, and his sales label to the accompanying slip case.
Ref: SHR 038
 
J. Lodge    Untitled Atlas of the English Counties c1795
£75
26 X 32cm


This was one of a set of county maps engraved by John Lodge and issued between 1787 and 1790 in The Political Magazine, and Parliamentary, Naval, Military and Literary Journal, published initially by John Murray, and later by R. Butters. The maps were subsequently collected together and re-issued as an atlas (without title page) around 1795. For this atlas edition the imprint with the publication date and engraver's and publisher's signatures was removed from the maps. This example is from the atlas edition. The maps are well engraved in the plainer style then coming into vogue. They are uncommon, and sought by collectors. A small hole just above the "B" of Bishop's Castle.
Ref: SHR 026
 
G. Humble P. van den Keere    England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland Desribed and Abridged…from a Farr Larger Volume Done by John Speed 1627-76 (c1605)
£75
12.5 x 8.5cm


Around 1599 Peter Van Den Keere began engraving a set of miniature British maps (based on Saxton). These were first published in Amsterdam in c1605. By 1619 the plates had passed to the London bookseller George Humble, who revised them (changing Latin county names to English), but also engraved new plates to replace those counties grouped together on one map in the originals. The original plate had Shropshire as an individual county and so was retained, but with the county name revised to it's English version. Humble's first issue of the maps was in 1619. For his second edition of 1627 English text was added to the verso of the maps. All the maps are generally referred to as by Van den Keere, but Skelton doubts this attribution for the newly engraved versions. The atlas went through several later editions until 1676. Tight margins.
Ref: SHR 001
 
R. Morden    Playing card 1680 or 1785 (1676)
£295
6 x 9cm


Robert Morden's playing cards were first published in 1676, and were published both as a set of cards, and in book format without title (the latter without the suit marks). A second edition the same year added names of adjoining counties. There were re-issues of both formats around 1680, the book format entitled A Pocket Book of all the Counties of England and Wales.A final edition by H. Turpin was issued in c1785 in book format under the title A Brief Description of England and Wales. This example is from one of the latter two book editions.
Ref: SHR 005
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    A Topographical Dictionary of England 1840-49
£15
17x23cm


Samuel Lewis first published his Dictionary in 1831, and there were a number of further editions up to 1849. They contained a set of county maps drawn by R. Creighton and engraved by J. & C. Walker. In some editions the maps were interspersed with the text, and in other cases they were combined as a separate atlas volume. This example is from the editions of 1840 or later, so distinguished by the notes on Poor Law Unions added above the top border to replace previous electoral notes. Original outline colour.
Ref: SHR 024
 
S. Hall    A Travelling County Atlas 1842-48 (1831)
£12
19.5 x 25cm


This set of maps were first published in 1831 in A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. They were later re-issued, with various amendments, in several other works including Hall's New British Atlas (1833-36) and A Travelling County Atlas (1842-1875). Based on the added railways and the publishers' address in the imprint, this example can be dated to one of the editions of the Travelling Atlas between 1842 and 1848.
Ref: SHR 014
 
A. Perrot    L'Angleterre, ou Description Historique et Topographique du Royaume de la Grande-Bretagne 1824-35
£95
6 x 11cm


The text for this French topographical work on Britain was written by George Depping, the maps being drawn by Aristide Perrot and engraved by A. Migneret. It was first published in 1824, with subsequent editions in 1828 and 1835. The maps often cover more than one county as in this example which also includes Worcestershire and Staffordshire. The surrounding decorative border shows the typical produce and wares of the counties. Original outline colour
Ref: SHR 006
 
P. Meijer    Algemeene Oefenschoole Van Konsten En Weetenschappen 1765
£145
18.5 x 17cm


This Dutch topograhical work on England and Wales is a close translation of Benjamin Martin's The Natural History of England. The county maps included are also copied from those of Emanuel Bowen in Martin's work. Whether this should be regarded as plagiarism or a joint commercial arrangement is uncertain. The work was probably published serially, as individual maps are variously dated between 1757 and 1770, and later collected into two volumes. The Shropshire map is dated 1765. The engraving was by L. Schenk. Sales of the work were probably poor, as the maps are amongst the rarest of English county maps today, and are eagerly sought by collectors.
Ref: SHR 021
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    View of the Representative History of England 1835
£19
19 x 24.5cm


This work was published in 1835 as a companion volume to Lewis's Topographic Dictionary. It contains county and borough maps, drawn by R. Creighton and engaved by J.& C. Walker, and was designed to show the electoral and boundary changes effected by the 1832 Reform Act. There were 2 issues of the work in 1835 and 1840, this example of the county map being from the 1835 first edition. Original outline colour.
Ref: SHR 004
 
J. Speed    Theatre of the Empire of Great Britain 1616 (1612)
£695
51.5 x 38.5cm


John Speed's maps of the English and Welsh counties are amongst the most decorative of early, British cartographic work, and are eagerly sought after today. They were first published in 1612 in The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine, designed as a companion volume to Speed's History of Great Britaine. The maps were based on the earlier surveys of Saxton, Norden and a few others, with engraving contracted to Jodocus Hondius whose signature appears on 33 of the maps. Speed's greatest innovation was the inclusion of inset plans of major towns and cities. Although some were copied from earlier work, for many towns this was first plan ever published. Speed's county atlas was re-issued a number of times for a period of around 160 years, with new publishers making various small changes and updates to the maps over time. This example is from the rare and early Latin text edition of 1616. A repair to short centrefold plit with very minor loss (restored), and a couple of closed marginal nicks not affecting the image.
Ref: SHR 003
 
R. Dawson    Parliamentary Representation …. Reports from Commissioners on Proposed Division of Counties and Boundaries of Boroughs 1831/2
£22
20 x 27cm


This map formed part of a Parliamentary Report, submitted in December 1831, showing proposed changes to electoral arrangements and boundaries which were subsequently enacted in the 1832 Reform Act. The report and maps were subsequently published for public consumption in 1832. Dawson was a Lieutenant in the Royal Engineers charged with survey and production of maps to illustrate the changes.
Ref: SHR 017
 
J. Robins S.M. Neele    Robins' Atlas of England and Wales 1819 (1818)
£32
19.5 x 25cm


This map, drawn and engraved by Samuel Neele, was used in James Dugdale's New British Traveller, and (with a changed imprint) in Robins' Atlas of England and Wales. Both works were published in 1819. This example is from Robin's Atlas, though the map imprint bears the date 1818.
Ref: SHR 011
 
W. Hughes    The National Gazetteer 1868
£15
24 x 30.5cm


First published in parts between 1863 and 1868, the completed National Gazetteer went on sale from 1868. The maps, which are produced by litho transfer from an intaglio plate, are amongst the earliest to feature printed colour. There were a number of later editions (some under different titles) up to 1886. Colouring became more sophisticated on these later editions. This example of the Shropshire map is from its first atlas issue in 1868.
Ref: SHR 016
 
G. Cruchley J. Cary    Cruchley's County Atlas of England and Wales 1863-76 (1787)
£20
21.5 x 26.5cm


In 1844 George Cruchley purchased G. and C. Cary's stock of printing plates, and set about changing the titles and imprints to continue their productive life under his own name. Whereas the Carys had used intaglio printing, Cruchley turned to the fast growing method of printing by lithographic transfer, which offered greater flexibility in making quick changes. Cary's New and Correct English Atlas, first published in 1787, was now relaunched in 1863 as Cruchley's County Atlas of England & Wales. There were a number of further issues of the atlas up to at least 1876. Old repairs to centrefold tears leaving some brown marks.
Ref: SHR 022
 
E. Bowen T. Bowen    Bowles New Medium Atlas c1795 (1767)
£145
32 x 22.5cm


This map first appeared in 1767 in the Atlas Anglicanus, published by Thomas Kitchin with maps engraved by Emanuel and Thomas Bowen. The maps copied the Large English Atlas in style, with rococo cartouches, and topographical notes surrounding the maps. The maps for the Atlas Anglicanus were first issued in monthly partworks between 1767 and 1768 before the complete atlas followed in 1768. Both Bowens are jointly cited as cartographers of the first state Shropshire map. There was a second edition of the atlas in c1777, before the plates passed to Carington Bowles and were updated and re-issued as Bowles' New Medium English Atlas in 1785. On Bowles' death the plates passed to his business successors, trading as Bowles and Carver, who re-issued the atlas sometime after 1793 with their own imprint as proprietors on individual maps. The Atlas Anglicanus was not a commercial success and maps from it are not commonly found. This example is from the atlas's final issue post 1793. Original colour.
Ref: SHR 009
 
J. Wallis    Wallis's New Pocket Edition of the English Counties or Travellers Companion c1814 (c1812)
£12
9.5 x 13.5cm


James Wallis engraved and published this set of small maps under the title stated, which was first issued in c1812. This example is from atlas's second edition of c1814, so distinguished by the addition of a plate number to the maps. There were later editions of the work between 1818 and 1836 inder the titles of Martin's Sportsman's Almanack, Kalender, and Traveller's Guide, and subsequently as Lewis's New Traveller's Guide. For both these latter issues the map imprints were changed.
Ref: SHR 008
 
S. Hall S. Leigh    Leigh's New Atlas of England and Wales 1820-31
£15
7 x 12cm


This entry into the popular market for miniature atlases and road books was first published by Samuel Leigh in 1820 under the title Leigh's New Pocket Atlas of England and Wales. The maps were engraved by Sidney Hall. There were several later editions up to 1843, under slightly changed titles and imprints (which changed to M.A. Leigh some time in 1831). This example dates from between 1820 and 1831.
Ref: SHR 007
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas (reduced maps) 1828/1833 (1822)
£32
18 x 23.5cm


In 1822 Charles Smith issued a county atlas with maps based on his larger county maps which had been in circulation for over 20 years. The new maps were smaller in scale, but the atlas bore the same title as that in which his larger maps appeared. They are clearly drawn and engraved, but although there were several editions of the atlas, they are today amongst the rarer of the 18th century county maps. This example is from the edition of 1828 or 1833, in which the maps have no date in the imprint, but before railways were added for the edition of 1844. Original outline colour.
Ref: SHR 032
 
R. Blome    Britannia 1673
£225
27 x 31.5cm


Originally intended as volume 3 of a larger cartographic project (The English Atlas), Richard Blome's county atlas, Britannia, was published alone in 1673. A rare second edition was issued in 1677. The Shropshire map is dedicated to Francis Lord Newport, Baron of High Ercall and Lord Lieutenant of the County.
Ref: SHR 019
 
T. Murray    An Atlas of the English Counties 1830
£30
35.5 x 45.5cm


The title page of Murray's county atlas states that the maps were "Projected on the basis of the Trigonometrical Survey by order of the hon.ble The Board of Ordnance, under the superindendance of T.L. Murray". This might seem to imply the project had at least the official blessing, if not the active involvement of the Ordnance Survey, but is more likely to be a marketing puff. D. Hodson has suggested that the maps were copied from those of William Ebden published from 1825-8, both sets also being engraved by the same firm of Hoare & Reeves. Murray's Atlas was first published in 1830, with second and third editions in 1831 and 1832, the latter with the adddition of electoral data. by 1838 the plates had been acquired by W. Robson & Co. who published and sold the maps individually, and also used them in their commercial directories. This example is from the first edition of 1830. Original colour. One short, repaired marginal tear, just touching the right-hand border.
Ref: SHR 034
 
G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£35
16 x 20.5cm


The New British Traveller was originally issued as a weekly partwork by the publisher Alexander Hogg, commencing in 1783. Once the series of 60 parts was completed in 1784 title pages were provided for the pages to be bound in a single volume. The work is a topographical review of Great Britain, containing numerous prints and a set of county and general maps. The maps are of varying sizes, being typically arranged 2,3 or 4 to a single page, with adjoining borders. When separated this means individual maps will be trimmed to the border on one or two sides and are often re-margined for mounting and framing. The map of Shropshire is re-margined on one side and sold ready-mounted. The text pages for the county may be available on request at no extra charge.
Ref: SHR 035
 

Topographical prints - other areas

A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-89
£8
18.5 x 14.5cm


Acton Burnell Castle. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically 2 (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. The village of Acton Birnell is 9 miles SE of Shrewsbury. By 1283 it contained a Manor House belonging to Robert Burnell, Bishop of Bath and Wells, and was the site of an early Parliament convened by King Edward I. From 1284-93, the house was fortified by licence of the King. Over succeeding centuries the property passed through the hands of several families, but fell gradually into decay, and many of the buildings had been demolished by c1650. The ruins of the manor house, and gables of its great barn still survive in the care of English Heritage, who provide access without charge. This print was engraved by Eastgate. A few light spots.
Ref: TOP 355
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£10
18.5 x 15cm


Halesowen Abbey. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically 2 (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Halesowen Abbey is situtated in what was until 1844 an outlying portion of the county of Shropshire. It was founded in1215 as a Premonstratension house. After the dissolution of the monasteries the site was allowed to decay and many of its buildings were robbed for their stone, with some parts of the site incorporated into the outbuildings of Manor Farm in the 18th century. Today the ruins are maintained by English Heritage with free public access. This print was engraved by Noble, and is supplied with the original, accompanying text from the work.
Ref: TOP 356