Copperplate

Worcestershire : 28 items

Maps

G. Humble P. van den Keere    England, Wales, Scotland & Ireland Described from a Farr Larger Volume by John Speed 1627-76 (c.1605)
£90
12 x 8.5cm


Around 1599 Peter Van Den Keere began engraving a set of miniature British maps (based on Saxton). These were first published in Amsterdam in c1605. By 1619 the plates had passed to the London bookseller George Humble, who revised them (changing Latin county names to English), but also engraved new plates to replace those counties grouped together on one map in the originals. The original van den Keere plate for Worcestershire was retained but with the aforementioned amendments. Humble's first issue of the maps was in 1619. For his second edition of 1627 English text was added to the verso of the maps. All the maps are generally referred to as by Van den Keere, but Skelton doubts this attribution for the newly engraved versions. The atlas went through several later editions until 1676.
Ref: WOR 754
 
W. Hole    Camden's Britannia 1637 (1607)
£220
31 x 28cm


The first five editions of Camden's successful history and topography of Britain were without maps, but for the sixth edition of 1607 the engravers William Hole and William Kip were commissioned to provide a set of maps of the counties of England and Wales, plus 3 general maps of the countries comprising the new "United Kingdom". These maps were retained for the subsequent 1610 and 1637 editions. They are based on the earlier work of Saxton, Norden, Smith and Owen. This attractively coloured example is from the 1637 edition.
Ref: WOR 755
 
J. Blaeu    Theatrum Orbis Terrarum 1645-67 (1645)
£495
50 x 41cm


The Blaeu family were one of the leading Dutch map producers of the 17th century. Their major work was a multi volume world atlas initiated by Willem Blaeu and expanded by his son Joan. Their maps were beautifully designed and engraved, and are often found with original colour, making them most desirable to collectors. 1645 saw the first publication of volume 4 of the atlas, containing maps of England and Wales. There were several re-issues between then and 1672 when most of Blaeu's plates were lost in a fire which engulfed his Amsterdam premises. The Worcestershire map also covers Warwickshire. This example is in original colour, in excellent condition, framed and double glazed. French text to verso dates it as from the 1645, 1648, 1663 or 1667 editions.
Ref: WOR 756
 
R. Morden    Camden's Britannia 1695
£125
42 x 36cm


Camden's Britannia - a history and topography of Britain - was first published in 1586 and had a long and successful publication history. County maps by Kip and Hole were addded in 1607, and these also appeared in the editions of 1610 and 1637. Over 50 year's later it was decided to issue a new and updated edition. The original Latin text was re-translated by Edmund Gibson, and Robert Morden was commissioned to provide a new set of county and general maps in a more modern style. The revised work was issued in 1695. There were 4 further editions of the Gibson/Morden work, the last in 1772, before a further updated version by Richard Gough was launched in 1789, with new maps by John Cary. This example is from the first Gibson edition of 1695. A few spots. Repair to lower centrefold.
Ref: WOR 757
 
T. Kitchin    The Antiquities of England and Wales 1753
£47
16.5 x 22cm


This map was first published in the May 1753 edition of the London Magazine, which between 1747 and 1754 issued a complete set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin. The maps were later re-published by Alexander Hogg in Boswell's Antiquities of England & Wales, initially in partwork from c 1787-9, and then in several complete editions of the work up to 1798. This example of the Worcestershire map is from the first complete edition of Boswell's Antiquities dating from c1789.
Ref: WOR 015
 
J. Ellis    Ellis's English Atlas 1766 (1765)
£55
19 x 25cm


Joseph Ellis's English Atlas was an entry into the market for small county atlases by its publishers Robert Sayer and Carington Bowles. The county maps were closely based upon those drawn by Thomas Kitchin for the 1763 topographical work England Illustrated, the major difference being the attractive vignettes which replaced Kitchin's rococco cartouches. The atlas was first published in 1765, and soon became a commercial success, running to many later editions. It was promoted as a travelling atlas, and made available in various formats. These included a version with the maps printed back to back on each page, as with this example from a 1766 edition which has a map of Wiltshire on the reverse.
Ref: WOR 760
 
J. Cary    New and Correct English Atlas 1809 (1787)
£27
21 x 26cm


The last decades of the 18th century saw less emphasis being placed on the traditions of decorative mapmaking in favour of a plainer style and design. Foremost amongst this new wave of "modern" cartographers and engravers was John Cary. The New and Correct English Atlas was Cary's first major production as a publisher in his own account. The maps were not only clearly and elegantly drawn and engraved, but also set new standards in accuracy in taking advantage of all the new large-scale county surveys of the second half of the 18th century. The atlas was first published in 1787, with a re-issue in 1793. By 1808 the plates were well worn, and the engraving of a new set was begun. The next dated edition of 1809, from which this example comes, utilised these new plates. Original outline colour.
Ref: WOR 761
 
J. Cary    Camden's Britannia 1806 (1789)
£60
41 x 49.5cm


Camden's Britannia was first published in 1586. County maps by Kip and Hole were first added in 1607, being supplanted by those of Robert Morden for the 5 editions from 1695 to 1772. In 1789 a new translation of the work by Richard Gough was published by T. Payne and G. & J. Robinson with updated and modernised maps by John Cary. The same maps were also later used in Cary's New British Atlas of 1805. They can be found uncoloured, with outline colour and with full wash colour. This example is from the second Gough edition of Britannia, published in 1806, and the maps are in full wash colour - the most desirable state.
Ref: WOR 762
 
J. Aiken    England Delineated 1790
£15
9.5 x 13.5cm


John Aikin (or Aiken) wrote this topographical work for children in order "to make my young countrymen better acquainted than they are usually found to be with their native land". The first edition of 1788 did not include county maps, but these were added for the second edition of 1790, from which this example comes. The work was published by Joseph Johnson, but the maps are unsigned. There were four later editions of the book with the maps, and one without. The Worcestershire map is fairly simple, befitting the needs of its target audience, and the text may be available at no extra charge.
Ref: WOR 763
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas 1808 (1804)
£80
49 x 44cm


Charles Smith was a successful London publisher and map-seller, whose work is stylistically very similar to that of John Cary. His large format New English Atlas first came to market in 1804, but many of the maps have also been found in folding format and may have been sold individually before the publication of the atlas. Smith's maps were well designed and accurate, making use of the large scale county surveys of the previous half-century. The atlas was a commercial success and was up-dated and re-published regularly until c1865 (the latter editions produced by lithographic transfer). This example is from the 1808 second edition, and is in bright and original full colour.
Ref: WOR 764
 
B. Capper    Topographical Dictionary of the UK 1808
£13
17.5 x 10.5cm


Benjamin Pitts Capper was the author of this topographical directory, first published by R. Phillips in 1808. The maps were engraved, and possibly drawn by H. Cooper. Later editions of the work carry the imprint of G.and W.B. Whittaker who re-published the book from 1825-34. This example is from the first edition of 1808, with the hundreds shown in original, full wash colour.
Ref: WOR 765
 
J. Cary    New English Atlas 1811 (1809)
£80
53 x 47.5cm


It is suprising that Cary's large county atlas was issued as late as 1809, as individual maps from it seem to have been sold singly from 1801. The atlas format was perhaps to compete with the similarly sized atlas of Charles Smith, which went under the same title and was published in 1804. It is perhaps Cary's finest production, the maps being notable for their fine design, detail and engraving. The atlas ran to several later editions by Cary, and the plates were later used for a variety of lithographic transfers by G.F. Cruchley. This example is from the second edition of 1811, and is in original full colour.
Ref: WOR 766
 
J. Pigot    British Atlas 1839-42 (1829)
£45
22 x 36cm


James Pigot & Co's county maps were issued in their British Atlas (from c1829), in several of their national and local business directories (from 1826 for the "home counties", at least), and singly in folding form as travelling maps. They were amongst the first maps to be printed from steel instead of copper plates, allowing more accurate fine detail and less wear to the plates over time. Atlas and directories went through several editions up to around 1857, later editions from 1846 being re-named Slater's New British Atlas, with imprints changed accordingly. Original outline colour.
Ref: WOR 767
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    View of the Representative History of England 1835
£15
18 x 24cm


This work was published in 1835 as a companion volume to Lewis's Topographic Dictionary. It contains county and borough maps, drawn by R. Creighton and engaved by J.& C. Walker, and was designed to show the electoral and boundary changes effected by the 1832 Reform Act. There were 2 issues of the work in 1835 and 1840, this example of the county map being from the 1835 first edition. Original outline colour. Some light brown staining beneath the top border..
Ref: WOR 003
 
J. Barclay T. Moule    Barclay's Universal English Dictionary 1842-52 (1837)
£58
20 x 26cm


Thomas Moule's antiquarian leanings are evident in this series of highly decorative county maps - a stylistic throwback in an age when cartographic work had become much plainer and more utilitarian. The maps were engraved by W. Smollinger, J. Bingley and J. Dower, and first appeared in Moule's English Counties Delineated, a partwork with text issued from 1830-32. They were subsequently made available as a complete work in 1837 under the same title, and were later re-issued in Barclay's Universal English Dictionary between 1842 and 1852. This latter work ran to several editions and the maps were often updated between editions to show the latest growth of the railway network. This example is from one of the editions of Barclay's Dictionary. Supplied mounted ready for framing.
Ref: WOR 013
 
J. Duncan    A Complete County Atlas of England and Wales 1840-45 (1825)
£40
44 x 34cm


Coloured. These maps were first published in 1825, and probably sold singly. In 1833 they were re-published by James Duncan in a thematic atlas to illustrate the representative changes brought about by the 1832 Reform Act. There were later re-issues in 1840 and 1845 with the addition of railways, and this map dates from one of these editions. A little light offsetting.
Ref: WOR 1125
 
J. Jansson    Atlas Novus 1646-66 (1646)
£425
52.5 x 42.5cm


Jan Jansson was one of Amsterdam's leading 17th century mapmakers, and a close rival to the Blaeu family. His multi-volume world atlas first saw the introduction of 6 maps of individual English counties into the German edition of 1636, and a further 11 of English and Welsh counties in the Dutch edition of 1644. But when Jansson saw the 1645 Blaeu volume with more decorative maps covering all the English and Welsh counties, he felt obliged to revise his existing plates and complete the set in order to compete. His new volume covering England and Wales was first published in the 1646 Latin text edition of the Atlas Novus. There were several later editions by Jansson, and later isses by Schenk and Valk who acquired the plates in 1694. The Worcestershire map also covers Warwickshire. There is no text to verso of this example, which precludes more accurate dating to a specific edition. Top and bottom centrefold repairs, the former impinging c4cm within the border, but still a most attractive and desirable copy.
Ref: WOR 1193
 
J. Wallis S. Oddy    Wallis's New Britlish Atlas 1813
£35
26 x 18cm


James Wallis's New British Atlas was first published in 1813 by S.A. Oddy. There was a second edition in 1816. This example is from the first edition and is dated 1812 on the imprint. It is in attractive, original, full wash colour, and in good condition.
Ref: WOR 1581
 
G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£30
11 x 17.5cm


The New British Traveller was originally issued as a weekly partwork by the publisher Alexander Hogg, commencing in 1783. Once the series of 60 parts was completed in 1784 title pages were provided for the pages to be bound in a single volume. The work is a topographical review of Great Britain, containing numerous prints and a set of county and general maps. The maps are of varying sizes, being typically arranged 2,3 or 4 to a single page, with adjoining borders. When separated this means individual maps will be trimmed to the border on one or two sides and are often re-margined for mounting and framing. The map of Worcestershire is re-margined on two sides and sold ready-mounted. The text pages for the county may be available on request at no extra charge.
Ref: WOR 1466
 
Ordnance Survey    Ordnance Survey 1 inch map - Old Series -Sheet 43, North East quartersheet 1860's? (1831)
£25
40 x 33cm


Covers eastern Herefordshire,the southern Malverns.and parts of Worcestershire and Gloucestershire. The map is dated 1831 when the sheet was originally published, but railway and geological data may suggest a slightly later date.
Ref: HRE 003
 
A. Perrot    L'Angleterre, ou Description Historique et Topographique du Royaume de la Grande-Bretagne 1824-35
£95
6 x 11cm


The text for this French topographical work on Britain was written by George Depping, the maps being drawn by Aristide Perrot and engraved by A. Migneret. It was first published in 1824, with subsequent editions in 1828 and 1835. The maps often cover more than one county as in this example which also includes Worcestershire and Staffordshire. The surrounding decorative border shows the typical produce and wares of the counties. Original outline colour
Ref: SHR 006
 
J. Lodge    Untitled Atlas of the English Counties c1795
£75
26 x 31.5cm


This was one of a set of county maps engraved by John Lodge and issued between 1787 and 1790 in The Political Magazine, and Parliamentary, Naval, Military and Literary Journal, published initially by John Murray, and later by R. Butters. The maps were subsequently collected together and re-issued as an atlas (without title page) around 1795. For this atlas edition the imprint with the publication date and engraver's and publisher's signatures was removed from the maps. This example is from the atlas edition. The maps are well engraved in the plainer style then coming into vogue. They are uncommon, and sought by collectors. A small pinhole.
Ref: WOR 002
 
H. Teesdale R. Rowe    New British Atlas 1830 (1812-14)
£25
41 x 34cm


This detailed and well engraved map was one of a set first published around 1812-14 by Robert Rowe, who was probably also their draftsman and engraver. The maps were initially sold singly in folding format until their collective issue in 1816 as The English Atlas. The plates were later acquired by Henry Teesdale, who amended titles and imprints and re-issued the work as the New British Atlas in 1829, with several re-issues up to 1842. The plates were later acquired and used by H.G. Collins and then by G. Philip and Son, who both used them as the base for lithographic transfers for a variety of works up to c1860. This example is from the 1830 second edition of Teesdale's atlas. Original wash colour. A couple of repaired, amrginal tears, not affecting the printed image. Slight waterstaining.
Ref: WOR 007
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas (reduced maps) 1828 or 1833 (1822)
£35
23 x 19cm


In 1822 Charles Smith issued a county atlas with maps based on his larger county maps which had been in circulation for over 20 years. The new maps were smaller in scale, but the atlas bore the same title as that in which his larger maps appeared. They are clearly drawn and engraved, but although there were several editions of the atlas, they are today amongst the rarer of the 18th century county maps. This example is from the edition of 1828 or 1833, in which the maps have no date in the imprint, but before railways were added for the edition of 1844. Original outline colour.
Ref: WOR 006
 
T. Murray    An Atlas of the English Counties 1830
£30
45 x 35.5cm


The title page of Murray's county atlas states that the maps were "Projected on the basis of the Trigonometrical Survey by order of the hon.ble The Board of Ordnance, under the superindendance of T.L. Murray". This might seem to imply the project had at least the official blessing, if not the active involvement of the Ordnance Survey, but is more likely to be a marketing puff. D. Hodson has suggested that the maps were copied from those of William Ebden published from 1825-8, both sets also being engraved by the same firm of Hoare & Reeves. Murray's Atlas was first published in 1830, with second and third editions in 1831 and 1832, the latter with the adddition of electoral data. by 1838 the plates had been acquired by W. Robson & Co. who published and sold the maps individually, and also used them in their commercial directories. This example is from the first edition of 1830. Original colour. Repairs to a couple of short tears, one marginal, the other entering the top-left border by c1cm.
Ref: WOR 008
 

Topographical prints - other areas

A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£8
18 x 14.5cm


Evesham Abbey. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically 2 (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Evesham Abbey was founded by St. Egwin between 700 and 710 AD as a Benedictine house, and by the late middle ages was one of the richest in England. After the dissolution of the monasteries it was gradually robbed of its stone by the local townspeople, and today the bell tower is the only substantial remain, this being of 16th century date. This print, engraved by Coote, is supplied with the original, accompanying text.
Ref: TOP 400
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£8
18 x 14.5cm


Edgar's Tower, Worcester. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically 2 (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Worcester once had a castle, first built in the early Norman period, and strengthened over time. Edgar's Gate (here called Edgar's Tower) was the main entrance into the castle, and dates from the 14th century. No other part of the castle survives, and the gate is now the entrance into the cathedral precinct, its rooms being used by The King's School, Worcester. This print, engraved by M. Coote, is supplied with the original, accompanying text.
Ref: TOP 401
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£10
17.5 x 32cm


Dudley Priory. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically 2 (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Dudley Priory was founded in 1160 by Gervase Paganel, Lord of Dudley. It was a dependecy of the larger Cluniac house at Much Wenlock. After the dissolution of the monasteries it gradually became ruinous, until Dudley County Borough bought the site and surrounding land in 1926. The land was developed for housing but the ruins were restored as the centrepiece of the new Priory Park which opened in 1932. This print, engraved by Coote, offers 2 views on 1 sheet, and is supplied with the original, accompanying text.
Ref: TOP 402