Copperplate

Cornwall : 33 items

Maps

J. Seller    The Antiquities of England & Wales 1787-1809 (1695)
£35
15 x 7.5cm


In 1695 John Seller published a county atlas titled Anglia Contracta. The plates were much later acquired by Francis Grose, revised, and used in a supplement to his partwork on British antiquities. The supplement with maps was first published in 1787, and ran to several later editions.The maps are most easily distinguished from the original versions by changes to the title cartouches, and by descriptive text below the map and to the verso. Later colour.
Ref: COR 015
 
H. Moll    A Set of Fifty New and Correct Maps of England and Wales 1724/1739
£95
31 x 18.5cm


Herman Moll's maps of the English and Welsh counties were originally designed to illustrate the topographical work entitled A New Description of England and Wales which was first issued in 1724. The publishers (Moll himself, the Bowles brothers and C. Rivington) decided to also put them out as an atlas volume without text, which also appeared in 1724 under the title quoted. There were various later editions of both formats, the last in 1753. This example bears the plate number 3 which dates it to one of the earlier atlas editions of 1724 or 1739. A little light spotting.
Ref: COR 013
 
G. Bickham    A Curious Antique Collection of Birds-Eye Views of the Several Counties in England & Wales 1796 (1750)
£250
14 x 23cm


Around 1750 George Bickham senior initiated the production of this series of birds-eye ""maps"" to supplement the re-issue of his partwork The British Monarchy. The map of Cornwall, drawn and engraved by his son, George Bickham junior, was the first to be completed in 1750. When the final serialisation had been issued in 1754 the work was also sold as a single volume. George Bickham junior later amended and re-issued the maps under a new title, and this specimen is from that edition of 1796. Uncommon.
Ref: COR 023
 
J. Ellis    Ellis's English Atlas 1766 (1765)
£80
24.5 x 21cm


Joseph Ellis's English Atlas was an entry into the market for small county atlases by its publishers Robert Sayer and Carington Bowles. The county maps were closely based upon those drawn by Thomas Kitchin for the 1763 topographical work England Illustrated, the major difference being the attractive vignettes which replaced Kitchin's rococco cartouches. The atlas was first published in 1765, and soon became a commercial success, running to many later editions. It was promoted as a travelling atlas, and made available in various formats. These included a version with the maps printed back to back on each page, as with this example from a 1766 edition which has a map of Cumberland on the reverse.
Ref: COR 107
 
J. Cary    Camden's Britannia 1806 (1789)
£85
52 x 41cm


Camden's Britannia was first published in 1586. County maps by Kip and Hole were first added in 1607, being supplanted by those of Robert Morden for the 5 editions from 1695 to 1772. In 1789 a new translation of the work by Richard Gough was published by John Stockdale with updated and modernised maps by John Cary. The same maps were also later used in Cary's New British Atlas of 1805. They can be found uncoloured, with outline colour and with full wash colour. This example is from the second Gough edition of Britannia, published in 1806, and the maps are in full wash colour - the most desirable state. Very slight offseting to centre top.
Ref: COR 109
 
A. Perrot    L' Angleterre, ou Description Historique et Topographique du Royaume de la Grande-Bretagne 1824-35
£105
6 x 10.5cm


The text for this French topographical work on Britain was written by George Depping, the maps being drawn by Aristide Perrot and engraved by A. Migneret. It was first published in 1824, with subsequent editions in 1828 and 1835. The maps often cover more than one county, but Cornwall gets a map to itself. The surrounding decorative border shows the typical produce and wares of the counties. Original outline colour
Ref: COR 1687
 
J. Cary    New English Atlas 1811 (1809)
£120
53.5 x 48cm


It is suprising that Cary's large county atlas was issued as late as 1809, as individual maps from it seem to have been sold singly from 1801. The atlas format was perhaps to compete with the similarly sized atlas of Charles Smith, which went under the same title and was published in 1804. It is perhaps Cary's finest production, the maps being notable for their fine design, detail and engraving. The atlas ran to several later editions by Cary, and the plates were later used for a variety of lithographic transfers by G.F. Cruchley. This example is from the second edition of 1811, and is in original full colour.
Ref: COR 112
 
J. Pigot    British Atlas 1829-32 (1829)
£65
35.5 x 22cm


Pigot’s maps were issued in his various trade directories, and also in his British Atlas, first published in 1829. The address in the imprint of this copy was occupied by the firm from 1828-32, dating it to an early edition of the atlas. Original outline colour. A few repaired marginal tears, not affecting the printed area.
Ref: COR 035
 
A. Fullarton    The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1847 (1834)
£30
23.5 x 19cm


These maps were first published by Fullarton and Co. in 1834 in James Bell's New and Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales which was re-issued three times in the 1830's. They were subsequently re-published (again by Fullarton) in 1840 in The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales, with several further re-issues up to 1849. The maps were engraved on steel and sometimes bear the name of the engraver and sometimes not. This example is from the Parliamentary Gazetteer and bears the signature of R. Scott as engraver.
Ref: COR 034
 
J. Barclay T. Moule    Barclay's Universal English Dictionary 1852 (1837)
£65
25.5 x 20cm


An uncoloured example of Moule's map from the 1852 issue of Barclay's Dictionary. Close trimmed as usual with the Barclay's editions.
Ref: COR 116
 
J. Duncan    A Complete County Atlas of England and Wales 1840-45 (1825)
£60
43.5 x 34cm


Coloured. These maps were first published in 1825, and probably sold singly. In 1833 they were re-published by James Duncan in a thematic atlas to illustrate the representative changes brought about by the 1832 Reform Act. There were later re-issues in 1840 and 1845 with the addition of railways, and this map dates from one of these editions.
Ref: COR 1093
 
B. Clarke R. Rowe    The British Gazetteer 1852 (1816)
£35
41 x 34cm


These maps first appeared in Rowe's English Atlas of 1816, being subsequently acquired by a succession of later publishers and used in a variety of their works. They were modified and updated during this time. This example is the second lithographic transfer for Clarke's British Gazetteer, published in 1852 by H.G. Collins. Folded and trimmed close against bottom right hand border to fit the volume.
Ref: COR 1154
 
E. Bowen J. Owen    Britannia Depicta 1720-c1764
£65
11.5 x 18cm


First published in 1720 with maps drawn and engraved by Emanuel Bowen, Britannia Depicta was a considerable commercial success and ran to several editions, the last issued around 1764.
Ref: COR 1427
 
G. Cruchley J. Cary    Cruchley's County Atlas of England & Wales 1863 (1787)
£30
26.5 x 21cm


In 1844 George Cruchley purchased G. and C. Cary's stock of printing plates, and set about changing the titles and imprints to continue their productive life under his own name. Whereas the Carys had used intaglio printing, Cruchley turned to the fast growing method of printing by lithographic transfer, which offered greater flexibility in making quick changes. Cary's New and Correct English Atlas, first published in 1787, was now relaunched in 1863 as Cruchley's County Atlas of England & Wales. The atlas title page and the titles of individual maps placed great stress upon the inclusion of railways and stations, as to be seen to be keeping pace with the fast growing national railway network was a marketing necessity. This example dates from this 1863 issue after which the map title was changed for later issues of the atlas up to at least 1876.
Ref: COR 026
 
J. Wallis S. Oddy    Wallis's New Britlish Atlas 1813
£40
26.5 x 17.5cm


James Wallis's New British Atlas was first published in 1813 by S.A. Oddy. There was a second edition in 1816. This example is from the first edition and is dated 1812 on the imprint. It is in attractive, original, full wash colour. A little light offsetting in the sea areas, but otherwise in good condition.
Ref: COR 1548
 
M. Leigh S. Hall    Leigh's New Atlas of England and Wales 1820-31
£18
12 x 7cm


This entry into the popular market for miniature atlases and road books was first published by M.A. Leigh in 1820 under the title Leigh's New Pocket Atlas of England and Wales. The maps were engraved by Sidney Hall. There were several later editions up to 1843, under slightly changed titles. This example dates from between 1820 and 1831 (so dated by Leigh's address - 18 Strand - in the imprint).
Ref: COR 002
 
J. Lodge    Untitled Atlas of the English Counties c1795
£120
32 x 26.5cm


This was one of a set of county maps engraved by John Lodge and issued between 1787 and 1790 in The Political Magazine, and Parliamentary, Naval, Military and Literary Journal, published initially by John Murray, and later by R. Butters. The maps were subsequently collected together and re-issued as an atlas,without title page, around 1795. For this atlas edition the imprint with the publication date and engraver's and publisher's signatures was removed from the maps. This example is from the atlas. The maps are well engraved in the plainer style then coming into vogue. They are uncommon.
Ref: COR 004
 
J. van Langeren T. Jenner    A Direction for the English Traviller 1643-c1680
£70
10 x10.5cm


The history of this road book begins in 1635 when Jacob van Langeren engraved the plates for the first Matthew Simmons edition. Distance tables dominated each county page, with only tiny thumbnail maps. When Thomas Jenner later acquired the plates he had them re-engraved with much larger maps for his edition of 1643. There were several later editions, some under the changed title A Booke of the Names of all Parishes, Market, Towns, Villages, Hamlets and Smallest Places in England and Wales. The work was last published around 1680. Despite the many editions maps from it are far from common.
Ref: COR 019
 
G. Whittaker S.M. Neele    The Travellers Pocket Atlas 1821/1823
£20
16 x 13cm


The Travellers Pocket Atlas, with maps by Samuel Neele and Son, was first published by Pinnock and Maunder in 1820. The maps were also used in Pinnock's County Histories which came out in the same year. Subsequent editions of both works were published by George Whittaker, the atlas in 1821 and 1823, and the topograhical work in 1823 and 1825. The Whittaker editions of the maps all bear the imprint "Published G.& W.B. Whittaker, Ave-Maria Lane, 1821", as does this example in original colour.
Ref: COR 017
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    A Topographical Dictionary of England 1833 or 1835
£30
23.5 x 17.5cm


Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary was first published in 1831, and there were a mumber or re-issues up to 1849. The county maps were sometimes published with the text and sometimes in a separate, accompanying atlas volume. This example dates from the 1833 or 1835 editions in which notes on places of elections and polling were added outside the top border. This information was erased from later editions. Original colour.
Ref: COR 010
 
E. Bowen    Royal English Atlas 1778 (c1764)
£450
50 x 40.5cm


The Royal English Atlas, first published around 1764, was probably an attempt to repeat the commercial success of The Large English Atlas, with a somewhat smaller format. The maps were again engraved by Kitchin and Bowen, and the partners in the enterprise were based around the consortium that had finally brought out The Large English Atlas in 1760. This time, however, they misjudged the market, and although there were some later re-issues of the atlas, the modern rarity of the maps suggests it was not very successful. This example, dated 1777, is from the second edition published in 1778, and is most attractively coloured.
Ref: COR 037
 
A. Dury    A Collection of Plans of the Principal Cities of Great Britain and Ireland with Maps of the Coast of the Said Kingdom 1764
£45
13 x 10.5cm


Dury's work contained 18 maps of major towns and cities, together with maps of the coasts. As a coastal county, Cornwall was given its own map - not the case with most counties. An uncommon item in original colour.
Ref: COR 028
 
T. Kitchin    The Antiquities of England and Wales 1787-98 (1749)
£40
23 x 20cm


This map was first published in 1749 in the London Magazine, which between 1747 and1754 issued a complete set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin. The maps were later re-published in 1787-98 by Alexander Hogg in Boswell's Antiquities of England & Wales, and this example is from this later issue in which the maps had roads added.
Ref: COR 012
 
J. Wallis W. Reid    The Panorama or Travellers' Instructive Guide 1820
£35
10 x 6.5cm


The title page of this miniature atlas attributes Reid as publisher of this miniature atlas, with Wallis described as the printer, and individual maps are generally without imprints. However some counties have been found with imprints of C. Hinton and Wallis, which may be an earlier state. A later edition of the atlas was published in 1825 by Hodgson and Co. with the maps bearing Hodgson's imprint. This example has no imprints. It is in original colour, and is supplied together with the 3 Cornwall text pages from the work. Five binding holes close to lower border.
Ref: COR 032
 
B.R. Davies Fisher, Son & Co.    Cornwall Illustrated 1832
£45
23.5 x 19cm


This map was the frontispiece in Cornwall Illustrated, authored by J. Britton & E.W. Brayley, and published by Fisher & Co. in 1832. It was engraved by Benjamin Rees Davies.The vignette is of the Cheese Wring, and two inset maps cover the northern tip of Cornwall and the Scilly Isles.
Ref: COR 009
 
P. Meijer    Algemeene Oefenschoole Van Konsten En Weetenschappen 1757
£195
20 x 17.5cm


This Dutch topograhical work on England and Wales is a close translation of Benjamin Martin's The Natural History of England. The county maps included are also copied from those of Emanuel Bowen in Martin's work. Whether this should be regarded as plagiarism or a joint commercial arrangement is uncertain. The work was probably published serially, as individual maps are variously dated between 1757 and 1770, and later collected into two volumes. The engaving was by L. Schenk. Sales of the work were probably poor, as the maps are amongst the rarest of English county maps today, and are eagerly sought by collectors. Interestingly on the Cornwall map Meijer's name is spelled Meyer, rather than Meijer which is the more normal Dutch spelling.
Ref: COR 006
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    A Topographical Dictionary of England 1835
£20
23 x 18cm


Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary was first published in 1831, and there were a mumber or re-issues up to 1849. The county maps were sometimes published with the text and sometimes in a separate, accompanying atlas volume. This example dates from the 1831 or 1835 editions. Original outline colour.
Ref: COR 011
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    View of the Representative History of England 1835
£25
22 x 19cm


This work was published in 1835 as a companion volume to Lewis's Topographic Dictionary. It contains county and borough maps, drawn by R. Creighton and engaved by J.& C. Walker, and was designed to show the electoral and boundary changes effected by the 1832 Reform Act. There were 2 issues of the work in 1835 and 1840, this example of the county map being from the 1835 first edition. Original outline colour.
Ref: COR 041
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas 1828/1833 (1822)
£40
23 x 19cm


In 1822 Charles Smith issued a county atlas with maps based on his larger county maps which had been in circulation for over 20 years. The new maps were smaller in scale, but the atlas bore the same title as that in which his larger maps appeared. They are clearly drawn and engraved, but although there were several editions of the atlas, they are today amongst the rarer of the 18th century county maps. This example is from the edition of 1828 or 1833, in which the maps have no date in the imprint, but before railways were added for the edition of 1844. Original outline colour.
Ref: COR 042
 
H. Teesdale R. Rowe    New British Atlas 1830 (1812-14)
£50
41 x 34cm


This detailed and well engraved map was one of a set first published around 1812-14 by Robert Rowe, who was probably also their draftsman and engraver. The maps were initially sold singly in folding format until their collective issue in 1816 as The English Atlas. The plates were later acquired by Henry Teesdale, who amended titles and imprints and re-issued the work as the New British Atlas in 1829, with several re-issues up to 1842. The plates were later acquired and used by H.G. Collins and then by G. Philip and Son, who both used them as the base for lithographic transfers for a variety of works up to c1860. This example is from the 1830 second edition of Teesdale's atlas. Original wash colour.
Ref: COR 043
 

Topographical prints - other areas

A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£7
27 x 17.5cm


Lestwithiel Palace. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. The Stannary Palace at Loswithiel was built by the Earls of Cornwall in the second half of the 13th century. It comprised several buildings with a variety of functions - law courts, taxation of the Cornish lead industry, a gaol, seat of the Stanarry Parliament, and general administration. Although badly damaged in the civil war several of the buildings have survived or been restored and remain in use today - still with various uses. This ananymous print shows the ruins of the Great Hall and another building - possibly the Exchequer Hall. A couple of small holes and some light foxing to the margin, all of which would be hidden by a mount.
Ref: TOP 142
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£8
17.5 x 14.5cm


St. Michael's Mount. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically two (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. St. Michael's Mount is a rocky island in Mount's Bay adjoining the town of Marazion. It can be reached on foot at low tide, but is accessible at other times only by boat or amphibious vehicle. There have been buildings on the site since the 12th century, but since 1659 the castle has been the family home of the St. Aubyn family. The island is now mostly the property of the National Trust. This print was engraved by Lowry, and is supplied with the original accompanying text page from the work.
Ref: TOP 240
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£7
17.5 x 14.5cm


Pendennis Castle. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically two (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Pendennis Castle was built by Henry V111 between 1539 and 1545, to protect the entrance to the river Fal from possible attack. It stands on a headland on the west bank of the river just outside Falmouth, and is today owned by English Heritage who open it to the public and hire it out for conferences and weddings. This print was engraved by Lowry.
Ref: TOP 241