Copperplate

Essex : 34 items

Maps

W. Kip    Camden's Britannia 1637 (1607)
£290
36 x 28.5cm


The first five editions of Camden's successful history and topography of Britain were without maps, but for the sixth edition of 1607 the engravers William Hole and William Kip were commissioned to provide a set of maps of the counties of England and Wales, plus 3 general maps of the countries comprising the new "United Kingdom". These maps were retained for the subsequent 1610 and 1637 editions. They are based on the earlier work of Saxton, Norden, Smith and Owen. This attractively coloured example is from the 1637 edition.
Ref: ESS 193
 
J. Speed    Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine 1623-32 (1612)
£900
51 x 38cm


John Speed's maps of the English and Welsh counties are amongst the most decorative of early, British cartographic work, and are eagerly sought after today. They were first published in 1612 in The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine, designed as a companion volume to Speed's History of Great Britaine. The maps were based on the earlier surveys of Saxton, Norden and a few others, with engraving contracted to Jodocus Hondius whose signature appears on 33 of the maps. Speed's greatest innovation was the inclusion of inset plans of major towns and cities. Although some were copied from earlier work, for many towns this was first plan ever published. Speed's county atlas was re-issued a number of times for a period of around 160 years, with new publishers making various small changes and updates to the maps over time. This example bears the imprint of G. Humble, dating it to between 1623 and 1632. A few repaired marginal tears, not affecting the printed area. An attractively coloured specimen.
Ref: ESS 194
 
E. Bowen J. Owen    Britannia Depicta 1720
£60
11.5 x 18.0cm


Britannia Depicta was one of 3 pocket-sized reductions of Ogilby's road book that appeared within an 18 month timeframe between 1719 and 1720. It was more innovative than the others in including much additional topographical and historical information (researched by John Owen) on the maps. The work was a commercial success and ran to many later editions, this example being from the first edition of 1720.
Ref: ESS 195
 
E. Bowen    Large English Atlas c1764-67 (1749)
£225
71 x 52.5cm


The idea for a new county atlas, with a large format bigger than any predecessor, was initiated in 1749 by John Hinton. For a variety of reasons, however, progress was slow. Maps were offered for individual sale as the printing plates were completed, but the series was not finished until 1760 when the atlas was finally published. All but a few of the maps were drawn and engraved by Emanuel Bowen and Thomas Kitchin. The atlas proved to be a commercial success, and a number of later editions were issued up to 1787. The Essex map, engraved by Bowen, was one of the first published 1749. The publishers imprint on this example (John Bowles, Carington Bowles and Robert Sayer) dates it to between c 1764 and c1787. Light overall toning. The margins are narrow, but sufficient for mounting and framing.
Ref: ESS 022
 
J. Ellis    Ellis's English Atlas 1766 (1765)
£75
25 x 19.5cm


Joseph Ellis's English Atlas was an entry into the market for small county atlases by its publishers Robert Sayer and Carington Bowles. The county maps were closely based upon those drawn by Thomas Kitchin for the 1763 topographical work England Illustrated, the major difference being the attractive vignettes which replaced Kitchin's rococco cartouches. The atlas was first published in 1765, and soon became a commercial success, running to many later editions. It was promoted as a travelling atlas, and made available in various formats. These included a version with the maps printed back to back on each page, as with this example from a 1766 edition which has a map of Durham on the reverse. Short tear to bottom margin not affecting printed area.
Ref: ESS 197
 
J. Cary    New and Correct English Atlas 1809 (1787)
£37
26 x 21cm


The last decades of the 18th century saw less emphasis being placed on the traditions of decorative mapmaking in favour of a plainer style and design. Foremost amongst this new wave of "modern" cartographers and engravers was John Cary. The New and Correct English Atlas was Cary's first major production as a publisher in his own account. The maps were not only clearly and elegantly drawn and engraved, but also set new standards in accuracy in taking advantage of all the new large-scale county surveys of the second half of the 18th century. The atlas was first published in 1787, with a re-issue in 1793. By 1808 the plates were well worn, and the engraving of a new set was begun. The next dated edition of 1809, from which this example comes, utilised these new plates. Original outline colour.
Ref: ESS 198
 
J. Aiken    England Delineated 1790
£20
14 x 10.5cm


John Aikin (or Aiken) wrote this topographical work for children in order "to make my young countrymen better acquainted than they are usually found to be with their native land". The first edition of 1788 did not include county maps, but these were added for the second edition of 1790, from which this example comes. The work was published by Joseph Johnson, but the maps are unsigned. There were four later editions of the book with the maps, and one without. The Essex map is fairly simple, befitting the needs of its target audience, and the text may be available at no extra charge.
Ref: ESS 200
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas 1808 (1804)
£115
49.5 x 44.5cm


Charles Smith was a successful London publisher and map-seller, whose work is stylistically very similar to that of John Cary. His large format New English Atlas first came to market in 1804, but many of the maps have also been found in folding format and may have been sold individually before the publication of the atlas. Smith's maps were well designed and accurate, making use of the large scale county surveys of the previous half-century. The atlas was a commercial success and was up-dated and re-published regularly until c1865 (the latter editions produced by lithographic transfer). This example is from the 1808 second edition, and is in bright and original full colour.
Ref: ESS 201
 
J. Pigot    British Atlas 1839-42 (1829)
£65
35.5 x 22.5cm


Pigot and Co. specialised in the publication of local and national business directories which included county maps. These same maps were also issued in atlas and gazetteer format. Pigot's British Atlas was first published in 1829, and ran to several later editions, undergoing a name change to Slater's New British Atlas from about 1846 (Isaac Slater having joined the firm as a partner in 1839). Railways were added to the maps as the network expanded, and railway evidence suggests a date of c1838-42 for this example.
Ref: ESS 1638
 
A. Fullarton    The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840-49 (1834)
£35
24 x 18.5cm


These maps were first published by Fullarton and Co. in 1834 in James Bell's New and Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales which was re-issued three times in the 1830's. They were subsequently re-published (again by Fullarton) in 1840 in The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales, with several further re-issues up to 1849. The maps were engraved on steel and sometimes bear the name of the engraver and sometimes not. This example is from the Parliamentary Gazetteer and bears the signature of Gray & Son as engravers.
Ref: ESS 1637
 
T. Murray    An Atlas of the English Counties 1830
£48
45.5 x 35cm


The title page of Murray's county atlas states that the maps were "Projected on the basis of the Trigonometrical Survey by order of the hon.ble The Board of Ordnance, under the superindendance of T.L. Murray". This might seem to imply the project had at least the official blessing, if not the active involvement of the Ordnance Survey, but is more likely to be a marketing puff. D. Hodson has suggested that the maps were copied from those of William Ebden published from 1825-8, both sets also being engraved by the same firm of Hoare & Reeves. Murray's Atlas was first published in 1830, with second and third editions in 1831 and 1832, the latter with the adddition of electoral data. by 1838 the plates had been acquired by W. Robson & Co. who published and sold the maps individually, and also used them in their commercial directories. This example is from the first edition of 1830. Original colour. One short repaired, marginal tear not affecting the image.
Ref: ESS 014
 
J. Barclay T. Moule    Barclay's Universal English Dictionary 1842-52 (1837)
£65
26 x 20.5cm


Thomas Moule's antiquarian leanings are evident in this series of highly decorative county maps - a stylistic throwback in an age when cartographic work had become much plainer and more utilitarian. The maps were engraved by W. Smollinger, J. Bingley and J. Dower, and first appeared in Moule's English Counties Delineated, a partwork with text issued from 1830-32. They were subsequently made available as a complete work in 1837 under the same title, and were later re-issued in Barclay's Universal English Dictionary between 1842 and 1852. This latter work ran to several editions and the maps were often updated between editions to show the latest growth of the railway network. This example in modern colour is from Barclay's Dictionary, and is supplied mounted and ready for framing.
Ref: ESS 023
 
T. Jefferys T. Kitchin    Small English Atlas 1749 or 1751
£60
13.5 x 17.5cm


The Small English Atlas was initially published by Thomas Kitchin and Thomas Jefferys as a weekly partwork, beginning in November 1748. Sale as a complete atlas followed the final and 13th part of the series. The individual maps can generally be found in two or three states, with plate numbers being first added to the maps during the time the 1751 edition was on sale. By the time of the 1775 edition the printing plates had been acquired by Robert Sayer, John Bennet, and John and Carington Bowles, and further editions of the work were sold by them and their successors until around 1825. Despite this, the maps are not commonplace on today's market. The Essex map was first issued in December 1748. This exampleof the Essex map is the map's first state, without a plate number dating it to the editions of 1749 or 1751.
Ref: ESS 030
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    View of the Representative History of England 1835
£22
23 x 18.5cm


This work was published in 1835 as a companion volume to Lewis's Topographic Dictionary. It contains county and borough maps, drawn by R. Creighton and engaved by J.& C. Walker, and was designed to show the electoral and boundary changes effected by the 1832 Reform Act. There were 2 issues of the work in 1835 and 1840, this example of the county map being from the 1835 first edition. Original outline colour.
Ref: ESS 007
 
R. Morden    Camden's Britannia 1695-1722 (1695)
£180
40.5 x 33.5cm


Gibson's translation of Camden's Britannia was first published in 1695, and ran to 4 editions, the last in 1722. This is a good copy in skilful modern colour, and is from the 1722 (second) edition of the work. A small area of discoloration to the lower, centre margin, well awy from the printed area and which would be hidden by a mount.
Ref: ESS 1160
 
H. Teesdale R. Rowe    New British Atlas 1830 (1812-14)
£46
41 x 34cm


This detailed and well engraved map was one of a set first published around 1812-14 by Robert Rowe, who was probably also their draftsman and engraver. The maps were initially sold singly in folding format until their collective issue in 1816 as The English Atlas. The plates were later acquired by Henry Teesdale, who amended titles and imprints and re-issued the work as the New British Atlas in 1829, with several re-issues up to 1842. The plates were later acquired and used by H.G. Collins and then by G. Philip and Son, who both used them as the base for lithographic transfers for a variety of works up to c1860. This example is from the 1830 second edition of Teesdale's atlas. Original wash colour. A short, repaired, marginal tear, not affecting the printed image.
Ref: ESS 012
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas 1828 or 1833 (1822)
£38
23 x 19cm


In 1822 Charles Smith issued a county atlas with maps based on his larger county maps which had been in circulation for over 20 years. The new maps were smaller in scale, but the atlas bore the same title as that in which his larger maps appeared. They are clearly drawn and engraved, but although there were several editions of the atlas, they are today amongst the rarer of the 18th century county maps. This example is from the edition of 1828 or 1833, in which the maps have no date in the imprint, but before railways were added for the edition of 1844. Original outline colour.
Ref: ESS 010
 
J. Blaeu    Atlas Mayor 1659/1662
£420
52 x 41.5cm


The Blaeu family were one of the leading Dutch map producers of the 17th century. Their major work was a multi volume world atlas initiated by Willem Blaeu and expanded by his son Joan. Their maps were beautifully designed and engraved, and are often found with original colour, making them most desirable to collectors. 1645 saw the first publication of volume 4 of the atlas, containing maps of England and Wales. There were several re-issues between then and 1672 when most of Blaeu's plates were lost in a fire which engulfed his Amsterdam premises. Spanish text on the verso narrows dating of this example to the editions of 1659 or 1662. The maps is in original colour. There are a few nicks to the extremities of the wide borders, but well away from the printed area.
Ref: ESS 1630
 
J. Wallis J. Wyld    Wyld's Atlas of English Counties c1871 (1813)
£45
26 x 17.5cm


This map was drawn and engraved by James Wallis and first appeared in Wallis's English Atlas in 1813. It subsequently appeared in Ellis's New and Correct Atlas of England and Wales, and then in 1842 was copied by lithographic transfer for Wyld's Atlas of English Counties. This example has the Wyld imprint and bears population data for 1871. Original outline colour. A very rare imprint.
Ref: ESS 1640
 
P. van den Keere    La Galerie Agreable du Monde 1729 (1648
£120
39.5 x 23cm


Jodocus Hondius the younger first published his Atlas Minor in 1607 as a reduced scale version of Mercator's Atlas, the plates of which he had purchased and continued to issue. There were several later editions of the Atlas Minor by various publishers and with plates re-engraved. Between 1628 and 1651 Jan Jansson first published editions in Latin, French, German and Dutch. For the German edition of 1648 he added 8 new maps of English counties, including this map of Essex engraved by Peter van den Keere. There was a second issue in 1651. The plates were later acquired and re-worked by Peter van der Aa, who issued his new versions of the maps in his Atlas Soulage in 1712. In 1729 van de Aa re-issued the map, now with wide, engraved frame, in La Galerie Agreable du Monde. This example, is from La Galerie Agreable . All issues of the map are uncommon, particularly this state with frame border.
Ref: ESS 031
 
R. Morden    Magna Britannia et Hibernia 1720 (1717)
£65
21 x 16cm


Morden's set of smaller maps may originally have been drawn and engraved for Camden's Britannia, but rejected as too small. They were first published in 1701 in The New Description and State of England. This example is from Magna Britannia et Hibernia, originally issued as a 92 part topographical work between 1714 and 1731, but gradually also made available in 6 finished, bound volumes. The text and map of Essex first appeared in February 1717, but this example is from volume 1 of the bound work with a title-page date of 1720. Original outline colour.
Ref: ESS 001
 
T. Badeslade W. Toms    Chorographia Britanniae 1742
£45
14.5 x 14.5cm


Chorographia Britanniae was one of the most popular 18th century atlases, offering county maps showing main roads, a handy pocket-size format and useful extra information provided in the notes. A number of maps were not oriented with north at the top, including that of Essex where west is at the top.Maps from fhe first edition published in 1742 (but with maps dated 1741) initially had sparse topographical information, but within a few months a second edition was issued in which the maps were re-engraved to include many more towns and villages. This example is from this second edition. Several later re-issues followed and the work continued to be advertised until at least 1759.
Ref: ESS 1505
 
F. Grose J. Seller    The Antiquities of England & Wales 1787-1809 (c1695)
£25
14.5 x 11.5cm


In c1695 John Seller published a county atlas titled Anglia Contracta. The plates were much later acquired by Francis Grose, revised, and used in a supplement to his partwork on British antiquities. The supplement with maps was first published in 1787, and ran to several later editions. Descriptive text below and to verso.
Ref: ESS 019
 
J. Luffman    A New Pocket Atlas and Geography of England and Wales 1806 (1803)
£75
6 x 6cm


Luffman's atlas was designed as a geographical aid to children. It was first issued in 1803, with a second edition in 1806 which is distinguished, as with this example, by the positioning of the plate number immediately above the circular map. It is uncommon. Original colour. Small nick to top margin not affecting the printed area.
Ref: ESS 1635
 
T. Yeoman    Plan to Accompany an Application for a Bill to Parliament Proposing Waterway Improvements on the River Chelmer 1765
£215
38.5 x 21.5cm


This folding map is entitled "A Plan of the River Chelmer from Chemsford to Maldon…". It was surveyed and drawn by Thomas Yeoman and shows proposed improvements to facilate navigation. Yeoman was involved as engineer in a number of similar projects during the "canal age" of the 1760's - 80's. The plan is believed to have accompanied the application for a bill to Parliament proposing the improvements. Some minor repairs to marginal tears abutting the border, and where the folds meet. A rare item for the Essex collector.
Ref: ESS 1587
 
E. Langley W. Belch    Langley's New County Atlas of England and Wales 1818
£75
25.5 x 17cm


Langley and Belch were in partnership from 1807 to 1820, and issued their county atlas in 1818. The maps are attractive, with topograhical vignettes (in this case Colchester Castle), and usually found in original full wash colour.
Ref: ESS 1636
 
R. Whitworth    Plan of the Intended Navigable Canal from Moor Fields into the River Lee at Waltham Abby c1773
£225
51 x 13cm


This map was commissioned by the City of London, and surveyed by Robert Whitworth. It shows the proposed course of the new canal, the old River Lea, the so-called "New River", and something of the surrounding countryside.
Ref: REG 1515
 
J. Laurie J. Whittle    Laurie's Travellers' Companion 1815 (1806)
£45
25 x 29.5cm


Laurie's Travellers Companion was first published as a road atlas in 1806 by Laurie and Whittle. It included regional maps by Nathaniel Coltman featuring the main road network as a series of straight lines linking towns en-route.There were a number of later editions, this example being from that of 1815.
Ref: ROA 1704
 
J. Lodge    Untitled Atlas of the English Counties c1795
£105
32 x 26cm


This was one of a set of county maps engraved by John Lodge and issued between 1787 and 1790 in The Political Magazine, and Parliamentary, Naval, Military and Literary Journal, published initially by John Murray, and later by R. Butters. The maps were subsequently collected together and re-issued as an atlas (without title page) around 1795. For this atlas edition the imprint with the publication date and engraver's and publisher's signatures was removed from the maps. This example is from the atlas edition. The maps are well engraved in the plainer style then coming into vogue. They are uncommon.
Ref: ESS 006
 
J. Bill    The Abridgement of Camden's Britannia 1626
£355
12.5 x 9cm


An attractive and rare county map, as the work was only ever printed in one edition with a print run suggested as just 200. The maps were copied from Saxton, and are notable as the first set of county maps to show latitude and longitude. A true collector's item from the rarest of English county atlases. Although all the margins of the map are at lest 1 cm, the vertical margins have been trimmed with slight loss to the text on the verso.
Ref: ESS 003
 
H. Overton W. Smith    Overton Composite Atlases 1713 (1603)
£795
51 x 40.5cm


For many years the original author of this map was unknown and it was referred to as being by the "anonymous mapmaker". Today it is known to be by the herald and topographer William Smith, and to be one of a set of 12 maps drawn by him for an aborted atlas project around 1602-3. By 1650 the plates had been acquired by Peter Stent who added his imprint and continued to sell them singly. They next appear under the ownership of John Overton from c1665, and subsequently his son Henry from 1707. The Overtons again sold them singly but also used them in their composite atlases made up of maps from various sources and mapmakers. This example bears the imprint of Henry Overton and is dated 1713. In this state the map has the addition of roads. A rare item. Mounted.
Ref: ESS 005
 
T. Dix W. Darton    The Counties of England c1835 (1822)
£195
43 x 35cm


Thomas Dix initiated this atlas project some time around 1816, but after his death it was carried on to completion by the publisher William Darton. The Atlas was issued in 1822, though individual maps from the first edition bear various dates between 1816 and 1821. This example is from the later edition of the atlas, published in c1835 for which imprint dates were removed from the maps, titles were changed and electoral information was added. As here, the maps are usually found in attractive and original full wash colour, and all editions are relatively scarce.
Ref: ESS 011
 

Topographical prints - other areas

A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£7
18.5 x 15.5cm


Wanstead House. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. The Palladian mansion of Wanstead House was built in 1715 by Sir Richard Child, whose ancestors beacame one of the richest families in England. When the male line died out in 1805 the house and vast estates were inherited by 16 year old Catherine Tylney-Long. Catherine unfortunately made a bad marriage and by 1820 her husband had squandered her fortune and run up huge debts. The house was sold in 1822 and shortly afterwards completely demolished and sold piece-meal to pay his creditors. Part of the grounds survive today as a municipal park.
Ref: TOP 128
 
Anon.    The History and Topography of the County of Essex c1831
£15
15.5 x 11.5cm


Waltham Abbey. The History and Topgraphy of the County of Essex was a serialised partwork, authored by T. Wright, which was issued from 1831. This print shows the Abbey Church and surrounding buildings, and was engraved by Barber after a drawing by W.H. Bartlett.
Ref: TOP 170