Copperplate

Gloucestershire : 27 items

Maps

E. Bowen J. Owen    Britannia Depicta 1720 - c1764
£55
11.5 x 18.0cm


Britannia Depicta was one of 3 pocket-sized reductions of Ogilby's road book that appeared within an 18 month timeframe between 1719 and 1720. It was more innovative than the others in including much additional topographical and historical information (researched by John Owen) on the maps. The work was a commercial success and ran to many later editions, and this example is probably from one of the latter. Supplied mounted and ready for framing.
Ref: GLO 002
 
J. Ellis    Ellis's English Atlas 1766 (1765)
£75
25 x 19.5cm


Joseph Ellis's English Atlas was an entry into the market for small county atlases by its publishers Robert Sayer and Carington Bowles. The county maps were closely based upon those drawn by Thomas Kitchin for the 1763 topographical work England Illustrated, the major difference being the attractive vignettes which replaced Kitchin's rococco cartouches. The atlas was first published in 1765, and soon became a commercial success, running to many later editions. It was promoted as a travelling atlas, and made available in various formats. These included a version with the maps printed back to back on each page, as with this example from a 1766 edition which has a map of Hampshire on the reverse.
Ref: GLO 211
 
J. Cary    New and Correct English Atlas 1809 (1787)
£39
21 x 26.5cm


The last decades of the 18th century saw less emphasis being placed on the traditions of decorative mapmaking in favour of a plainer style and design. Foremost amongst this new wave of "modern" cartographers and engravers was John Cary. The New and Correct English Atlas was Cary's first major production as a publisher in his own account. The maps were not only clearly and elegantly drawn and engraved, but also set new standards in accuracy in taking advantage of all the new large-scale county surveys of the second half of the 18th century. The atlas was first published in 1787, with a re-issue in 1793. By 1808 the plates were well worn, and the engraving of a new set was begun. The next dated edition of 1809, from which this example comes, utilised these new plates. Original outline colour. Supplied mounted and ready to frame, together with the original accompanying text page.
Ref: GLO 212
 
J. Cary    Camden's Britannia 1806 (1789)
£65
42 x 47.5cm


Camden's Britannia was first published in 1586. County maps by Kip and Hole were first added in 1607, being supplanted by those of Robert Morden for the 5 editions from 1695 to 1772. In 1789 a new translation of the work by Richard Gough was published by T. Payne and G. & J. Robinson with updated and modernised maps by John Cary. The same maps were also later used in Cary's New British Atlas of 1805. They can be found uncoloured, with outline colour and with full wash colour. This example is from the second Gough edition of Britannia, published in 1806, and the maps are in full wash colour - the most desirable state. Trimmed just within right border to fit the binding. Some folds.
Ref: GLO 213
 
J. Aiken    England Delineated 1790
£15
10 x 14.5cm


John Aikin (or Aiken) wrote this topographical work for children in order "to make my young countrymen better acquainted than they are usually found to be with their native land". The first edition of 1788 did not include county maps, but these were added for the second edition of 1790, from which this example comes. The work was published by Joseph Johnson, but the maps are unsigned. There were four later editions of the book with the maps, and one without. The Gloucestershire map is fairly simple, befitting the needs of its target audience, and the text may be available at no extra charge.
Ref: GLO 214
 
B. Capper    Topographical Dictionary of the UK 1808
£13
17.5 x 10.5cm


Benjamin Pitts Capper was the author of this topographical directory, first published by R. Phillips in 1808. The maps were engraved, and possibly drawn by H. Cooper. Later editions of the work carry the imprint of G.and W.B. Whittaker who re-published the book from 1825-34. This example is from the first edition of 1808, with the hundreds shown in original, full wash colour.
Ref: GLO 215
 
J. Cary    New English Atlas 1811 (1809)
£90
48 x 55.5cm


It is suprising that Cary's large county atlas was issued as late as 1809, as individual maps from it seem to have been sold singly from 1801. The atlas format was perhaps to compete with the similarly sized atlas of Charles Smith, which went under the same title and was published in 1804. It is perhaps Cary's finest production, the maps being notable for their fine design, detail and engraving. The atlas ran to several later editions by Cary, and the plates were later used for a variety of lithographic transfers by G.F. Cruchley. This example is from the second edition of 1811, and is in original full colour.
Ref: GLO 216
 
T. Murray    An Atlas of the English Counties 1830
£37
35.5 x 45cm


The title page of Murray's county atlas states that the maps were "Projected on the basis of the Trigonometrical Survey by order of the hon.ble The Board of Ordnance, under the superindendance of T.L. Murray". This might seem to imply the project had at least the official blessing, if not the active involvement of the Ordnance Survey, but is more likely to be a marketing puff. D. Hodson has suggested that the maps were copied from those of William Ebden published from 1825-8, both sets also being engraved by the same firm of Hoare & Reeves. Murray's Atlas was first published in 1830, with second and third editions in 1831 and 1832, the latter with the adddition of electoral data. by 1838 the plates had been acquired by W. Robson & Co. who published and sold the maps individually, and also used them in their commercial directories. This example is from the first edition of 1830. Original colour. One short, repaired, marginal tear, not affecting the image.
Ref: GLO 008
 
C. Greenwood    Atlas of the Counties of England 1831 /1834
£130
68 x 60cm


Original full colour. A couple of minor repaired marginal tears well outside the printed area, but otherwise an excellent example. The Greenwoods surveyed all the counties from 1817-33 for their beautifully engraved county atlas finally published in 1834. Maps were also sold singly as produced. The Gloucestershire map is corrected to 1831, and this example's centrefold suggests it was sold in atlas format.
Ref: GLO 218
 
A. Fullarton    The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1847 (1833)
£25
18.5 x 24cm


These maps were first published by Fullarton and Co. in 1833 in James Bell's New and Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales which was re-issued three times in the 1830's. They were subsequently re-published (again by Fullarton) in 1840 in The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales, with several further re-issues up to 1849. The maps were engraved on steel and sometimes bear the name of the engraver and sometimes not. This example is from the Parliamentary Gazetteer of 1847 and bears the signature of Gray and Son as engravers.
Ref: GLO 219
 
J. Lodge    Untitled Atlas of the English Counties c1795
£99
32 x 26cm


This was one of a set of county maps engraved by John Lodge and issued between 1787 and 1790 in The Political Magazine, and Parliamentary, Naval, Military and Literary Journal, published initially by John Murray, and later by R. Butters. The maps were subsequently collected together and re-issued as an atlas (without title page) around 1795. For this atlas edition the imprint with the publication date and engraver's and publisher's signatures was removed from the maps. This example is from the atlas edition. The maps are well engraved in the plainer style then coming into vogue. They are uncommon, and sought by collectors.
Ref: GLO 001
 
J. Barclay T. Moule    Barclay's Universal English Dictionary 1850 (1837)
£65
20.5 x 26cm


Thomas Moule's antiquarian leanings are evident in this series of highly decorative county maps - a stylistic throwback in an age when cartographic work had become much plainer and more utilitarian. The maps were engraved by W. Smollinger, J. Bingley and J. Dower, and first appeared in Moule's English Counties Delineated, a partwork with text issued from 1830-32. They were subsequently made available as a complete work in 1837 under the same title, and were later re-issued in Barclay's Universal English Dictionary between 1842 and 1852. This latter work ran to several editions and the maps were often updated between editions to show the latest growth of the railway network. This example is from the 1850 edition of Barclay's Dictionary. Modern colour. Supplied mounted and ready to frame.
Ref: GLO 014
 
J. Duncan    A Complete County Atlas of England and Wales 1840-45 (1825)
£45
34.5 x 44cm


Coloured. These maps were first published in 1825, and probably sold singly. In 1833 they were re-published by James Duncan in a thematic atlas to illustrate the representative changes brought about by the 1832 Reform Act. There were later re-issues in 1840 and 1845 with the addition of railways, and this map dates from one of these editions. A little light offsetting.
Ref: GLO 1099
 
H. Teesdale    New British Atlas 1830 (1812-14)
£40
34 x 41cm


This detailed and well engraved map was one of a set first published around 1812-14 by Robert Rowe, who was probably also their draftsman and engraver. The maps were initially sold singly in folding format until their collective issue in 1816 as The English Atlas. The plates were later acquired by Henry Teesdale, who amended titles and imprints and re-issued the work as the New British Atlas in 1829, with several re-issues up to 1842. The plates were later acquired and used by H.G. Collins and then by G. Philip and Son, who both used them as the base for lithographic transfers for a variety of works up to c1860. This example is from the 1830 second edition of Teesdale's atlas. Original wash colour.
Ref: GLO 007
 
B. Clarke R. Rowe    The British Gazetteer 1852 (1816)
£35
41 x 33.5cm


These maps first appeared in Rowe's English Atlas of 1816, being subsequently acquired by a succession of later publishers and used in a variety of their works. They were modified and updated during this time. This example is the second lithographic transfer for Clarke's British Gazetteer, published in 1852 by H.G. Collins. Folded and trimmed close against bottom right hand border to fit the volume.
Ref: GLO 1163
 
J. Jansson    Schenk and Valk Composite Atlases/Atlas Anglois? 1694-1715 (1646)
£550
50 x 39.5cm


The plates of Jansson's British maps were acquired by Peter Schenk and Gerard Valk in 1694. The new owners' imprint was substituted and a graticule of grid lines was added to most maps (Gloucestershire/Monmouthshire being an exception in respect of the latter). The maps were sold singly and in made-up atlases. The plates were later acquired by David Mortier and that of Gloucestershire/Monmouthshire was used in his Atlas Anglois of 1714. Original full colour.
Ref: GLO 1214
 
J. Wallis S. Oddy    Wallis's New Britlish Atlas 1813
£33
17 x 25.5cm


James Wallis's New British Atlas was first published in 1813 by S.A. Oddy. There was a second edition in 1816. This example is from the first edition and is dated 1812 on the imprint. It is in attractive, original, full wash colour.
Ref: GLO 1555
 
G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£35
13.5 x 22cm


The New British Traveller was originally issued as a weekly partwork by the publisher Alexander Hogg, commencing in 1783. Once the series of 60 parts was completed in 1784 title pages were provided for the pages to be bound in a single volume. The work is a topographical review of Great Britain, containing numerous prints and a set of county and general maps. The maps are of varying sizes, being typically arranged 2,3 or 4 to a single page, with adjoining borders. When separated this means individual maps will be trimmed to the border on one or two sides and are often re-margined for mounting and framing. The map of Gloucestershire, which was engraved by T. Conder, is re-margined on two sides and sold ready-mounted. The text pages for the county may be available on request at no extra charge.
Ref: GLO 010
 
Ordnance Survey    Ordnance Survey 1 inch map - Old Series -Sheet 43, North East quartersheet 1860's? (1831)
£25
40 x 33cm


Covers eastern Herefordshire,the southern Malverns.and parts of Worcestershire and Gloucestershire. The map is dated 1831 when the sheet was originally published, but railway and geological data may suggest a slightly later date.
Ref: HRE 003
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas 1828/1833 (1822)
£35
18.5 x 23.5cm


In 1822 Charles Smith issued a county atlas with maps based on his larger county maps which had been in circulation for over 20 years. The new maps were smaller in scale, but the atlas bore the same title as that in which his larger maps appeared. They are clearly drawn and engraved, but although there were several editions of the atlas, they are today amongst the rarer of the 18th century county maps. This example is from the edition of 1828 or 1833, in which the maps have no date in the imprint, but before railways were added for the edition of 1844. Original outline colour.
Ref: GLO 005
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    View of the Representative History of England 1835
£20
20 x 23cm


This work was published in 1835 as a companion volume to Lewis's Topographic Dictionary. It contains county and borough maps, drawn by R. Creighton and engaved by J.& C. Walker, and was designed to show the electoral and boundary changes effected by the 1832 Reform Act. There were 2 issues of the work in 1835 and 1840, this example of the county map being from the 1835 first edition. Original outline colour.
Ref: GLO 009
 
P. van den Keere    England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland Described and Abridged…from a Farr Larger Volume Done by John Speed 1627-76 (c1605)
£45
12.5 x 8.5cm


Around 1599 Peter Van Den Keere began engraving a set of miniature British maps (based on Saxton). These were first published in Amsterdam in c1605. By 1619 the plates had passed to the London bookseller George Humble, who revised them (changing Latin county names to English), but also engraved new plates to replace those counties grouped together on one map in the originals. Van den Keere's original plate had Glocestershire as an individual county and so was retained, but with the county name revised to it's English version. Humble's first issue of the maps was in 1619. For his second edition of 1627 English text was added to the verso of the maps. All the maps are generally referred to as by van den Keere, but Skelton doubts this attribution for the newly engraved versions. The atlas went through several later editions until 1676. This example dates from between 1627 and 1676. Modern colour. The map has been trimmed to the right-hand border and remargined to facilitate mounting. Minor loss to the lower margin not affecting the image.
Ref: GLO 012
 

Topographical prints - other areas

A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£7
19.5 x 15cm


Bristol. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. This anonymous print has been remargined to the top border where separated from another view on the same sheet. A little marginal foxing which would be mostly hidden by a mount.
Ref: TOP 112
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£7
18.5 x 15cm


Thornbury Castle. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically two (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Thornbury Castle was built from1511 for the 3rd Duke of Buckingham, Edward Stafford, who was later beheaded by Henry VIII for treason. It is today a luxury hotel. This print was engraved by Richardson, and is supplied with the original, accompanying text. A few spots.
Ref: TOP 259
 
Anon.    The Beauties of England and Wales 1804
£8
10 x 14cm


Tewkesbury Abbey. The Beauties of England and Wales was a topographical partwork issued in 18 volumes between 1801 and 1815. It was initially published by Vernor & Hood, and later by J. Harris. This print was engraved by R. Roffe from a drawing by J. Burden. An Anglo-Saxon monastery once stood on the Abbey site from the 8th century, but the building of the present Abbey church was begun in 1102 in the Norman style. After the dissolution of the monasteries it became the parish church.
Ref: TOP 181
 
Anon.    Griffith's History of Cheltenham and its Vicinity 1838
£8
14.5 x 9.5cm


Sandywell Park, the seat of Walter Lawrence, near Cheltenham. Samuel Young Griffith's book covers the topography and history of Chentenham and the surrounding country to a radius of c30 miles. Sandywell Park is located a few miles to the SE of Chetenham. The house was build around 1704 for Henry Brett, with wings being added some 20 years later. Griffith's text states that further improvements had been made by the then-present owner, Walter Lawrence. The house survives today as private, residential apartments. Some copies of Griffith's work were graced by proof copies of the prints on superior paper, and this print is marked as such. It was engraved by W. Radclyffe after drawings by C. Barber and H. Lamb. A little foxing, but not too noticeable.
Ref: TOP 157
 
B. Clarke    The British Gazetteer 1852
£7
10 x 12cm


Bristol - the Terminus of the Great Western Railway. The British Gazetteer was authored by B. Clarke and published by H.G. Collins in 1852. Apart from topographical text listings, it included a set of county maps (originally by Rowe), and a small series of railway prints after drawings by J.F. Burrell. This print was engraved by A. Ashley and shows Temple Meads Station, the western terminuse of the Great Western Railway from London. The station was designed in the gothic style by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, and first opened in 1840. Its architecture is much admired today. Some waterstaining to the print but not too obtrusive.
Ref: TOP 1492