Copperplate

Oxfordshire : 38 items

Maps

W. Hole    Camden's Britannia 1637 (1607)
£260
29 x 27cm


The first five editions of Camden's successful history and topography of Britain were without maps, but for the sixth edition of 1607 the engravers William Hole and William Kip were commissioned to provide a set of maps of the counties of England and Wales, plus 3 general maps of the countries comprising the new "United Kingdom". These maps were retained for the subsequent 1610 and 1637 editions. They are based on the earlier work of Saxton, Norden, Smith and Owen. This attractively coloured example is from the 1637 edition. Minor repair to fraying at bottom right edge of sheet, well outside the printed area.
Ref: OXF 584
 
J. Speed    Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine 1676 (1611)
£1650
52 x 38.5cm


John Speed's maps of the English and Welsh counties are amongst the most decorative of early, British cartographic work, and are eagerly sought after today. They were first published in 1611 in The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine, designed as a companion volume to Speed's History of Great Britaine. The maps were based on the earlier surveys of Saxton, Norden and a few others, with engraving contracted to Jodocus Hondius whose signature appears on 33 of the maps. Speed's greatest innovation was the inclusion of inset plans of major towns and cities. Although some were copied from earlier work, for many towns this was first plan ever published. Speed's county atlas was re-issued a number of times for a period of around 160 years, with new publishers making various small changes and updates to the maps over time. This example bears the imprint of Basset & Chiswell dating it to the edition of 1676.
Ref: OXF 585
 
T. Hutchinson    Geographia Magnae Britanniae 1748
£55
17 x 14.5cm


This small county atlas of England and Wales was first issued in 1748 by a consortium of 7 publishers who also had a stake in the publication of Daniel Defoe's Tour Through the Whole Island of Great Britain. It was advertised as a companion volume to Defoe's work, or as a pocket atlas in its own right. Thomas Hutchinson's name appears as the engraver on 2 maps, but the rest are unsigned and may be by a variety of hands. They are sometimes also known as Osborne/Wale maps. There was a second edition in 1756. Faint ex-library blindstamp to top 2 corners.
Ref: OXF 587
 
J. Ellis    Ellis's English Atlas 1766 (1765)
£65
18.5 x 25cm


Joseph Ellis's English Atlas was an entry into the market for small county atlases by its publishers Robert Sayer and Carington Bowles. The county maps were closely based upon those drawn by Thomas Kitchin for the 1763 topographical work England Illustrated, the major difference being the attractive vignettes which replaced Kitchin's rococco cartouches. The atlas was first published in 1765, and soon became a commercial success, running to many later editions. It was promoted as a travelling atlas, and made available in various formats. These included a version with the maps printed back to back on each page, as with this example from a 1766 edition which has a map of Rutland on the reverse.
Ref: OXF 588
 
J. Cary    New and Correct English Atlas 1809 (1787)
£33
21 x 26cm


The last decades of the 18th century saw less emphasis being placed on the traditions of decorative mapmaking in favour of a plainer style and design. Foremost amongst this new wave of "modern" cartographers and engravers was John Cary. The New and Correct English Atlas was Cary's first major production as a publisher in his own account. The maps were not only clearly and elegantly drawn and engraved, but also set new standards in accuracy in taking advantage of all the new large-scale county surveys of the second half of the 18th century. The atlas was first published in 1787, with a re-issue in 1793. By 1808 the plates were well worn, and the engraving of a new set was begun. The next dated edition of 1809, from which this example comes, utilised these new plates. Original outline colour.
Ref: OXF 589
 
J. Cary    Camden's Britannia 1806 (1789)
£75
39.5 x 51.5cm


Camden's Britannia was first published in 1586. County maps by Kip and Hole were first added in 1607, being supplanted by those of Robert Morden for the 5 editions from 1695 to 1772. In 1789 a new translation of the work by Richard Gough was published by T. Payne and G. & J. Robinson with updated and modernised maps by John Cary. The same maps were also later used in Cary's New British Atlas of 1805. They can be found uncoloured, with outline colour and with full wash colour. This example is from the second Gough edition of Britannia, published in 1806, and the maps are in full wash colour - the most desirable state.
Ref: OXF 590
 
J. Aiken    England Delineated 1790
£18
9.5 x 15cm


John Aikin (or Aiken) wrote this topographical work for children in order "to make my young countrymen better acquainted than they are usually found to be with their native land". The first edition of 1788 did not include county maps, but these were added for the second edition of 1790, from which this example comes. The work was published by Joseph Johnson, but the maps are unsigned. There were four later editions of the book with the maps, and one without. The Oxfordshire map is fairly simple, befitting the needs of its target audience, and the text may be available at no extra charge.
Ref: OXF 591
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas 1808 (1804)
£100
44.5 x 50.5cm


Charles Smith was a successful London publisher and map-seller, whose work is stylistically very similar to that of John Cary. His large format New English Atlas first came to market in 1804, but many of the maps have also been found in folding format and may have been sold individually before the publication of the atlas. Smith's maps were well designed and accurate, making use of the large scale county surveys of the previous half-century. The atlas was a commercial success and was up-dated and re-published regularly until c1865 (the latter editions produced by lithographic transfer). This example is from the 1808 second edition, and is in bright and original full colour.
Ref: OXF 592
 
B. Capper    Topographical Dictionary of the UK 1808
£15
10 x 18cm


Benjamin Pitts Capper was the author of this topographical directory, first published by R. Phillips in 1808. The maps were engraved, and possibly drawn by H. Cooper. Later editions of the work carry the imprint of G.and W.B. Whittaker who re-published the book from 1825-34. This example is from the first edition of 1808, with the hundreds shown in original, full wash colour.
Ref: OXF 593
 
J. Cary    New English Atlas 1811 (1809)
£100
48 x 53.5cm


It is suprising that Cary's large county atlas was issued as late as 1809, as individual maps from it seem to have been sold singly from 1801. The atlas format was perhaps to compete with the similarly sized atlas of Charles Smith, which went under the same title and was published in 1804. It is perhaps Cary's finest production, the maps being notable for their fine design, detail and engraving. The atlas ran to several later editions by Cary, and the plates were later used for a variety of lithographic transfers by G.F. Cruchley. This example is from the second edition of 1811, and is in original full colour.
Ref: OXF 594
 
J. Pigot    British Atlas 1839-42 (1829)
£65
22 x 36cm


James Pigot & Co's county maps were issued in their British Atlas (from c1829), in several of their national and local business directories (from 1826 for the "home counties", at least), and singly in folding form as travelling maps. They were amongst the first maps to be printed from steel instead of copper plates, allowing more accurate fine detail and less wear to the plates over time. Atlas and directories went through several editions up to around 1857, later editions from 1846 being re-named Slater's New British Atlas, with imprints changed accordingly. Original outline colour.
Ref: OXF 595
 
C. Greenwood    Atlas of the Counties of England 1834
£140
70 x 57.5cm


Original full colour. A nice example in very good condition. The Greenwoods surveyed all the counties from 1817-33 for their beautifully engraved county atlas finally published in 1834. Maps were also sold singly as produced. The Oxfordshire map is corrected to 1834, and this example's centrefold shows it was sold in atlas format.
Ref: OXF 596
 
J. Barclay T. Moule    Barclay's Universal English Dictionary 1842
£54
19 x 25.5cm


Thomas Moule's antiquarian leanings are evident in this series of highly decorative county maps - a stylistic throwback in an age when cartographic work had become much plainer and more utilitarian. The maps were engraved by W. Smollinger, J. Bingley and J. Dower, and first appeared in Moule's English Counties Delineated, a partwork with text issued from 1830-32. They were subsequently made available as a complete work in 1837 under the same title, and were later re-issued in Barclay's Universal English Dictionary between 1842 and 1852. This latter work ran to several editions and the maps were often updated between editions to show the latest growth of the railway network. This example in modern colour is from the 1842 edition of Barclay's Dictionary in which the maps are usually found close trimmed. A little marginal foxing, and a short repaired tear at the bottom margin. Supplied mounted and ready for framing.
Ref: OXF 597
 
J. Archer T. Johnson    Johnson's Atlas of England 1847
£30
16.5 x 23cm


Between 1832 and 1834 Joshua Archer engraved a set of maps for the serialised partwork Pinnock's Guide to Knowledge. The maps were unusual in being relief printed from wooden blocks to give a "white on black" presentation. In 1847 amended versions of the maps were re-issued in Thomas Johnson's county atlas. Various changes were made to the wood blocks (including a new "piano key" border, and the addition of railways), and printing was by lithographic transfer to give a more conventional and easier to read "black on white" presentation. The amended maps from Johnson's atlas are today something of a rarity. This example is in original wash colour and in nice condition.
Ref: OXF 004
 
J. Duncan    A Complete County Atlas of England and Wales 1840-45 (1825)
£50
34 x 44cm


Coloured. These maps were first published in 1825, and probably sold singly. In 1833 they were re-published by James Duncan in a thematic atlas to illustrate the representative changes brought about by the 1832 Reform Act. There were later re-issues in 1840 and 1845 with the addition of railways, and this map dates from one of these editions. A little light offsetting.
Ref: OXF 1114
 
J. Walker    British Atlas 1854-6 (1837)
£20
32 x 38.5cm


The Walker's British Atlas was first issued in 1837, and ran to many subsequent editions with frequent updates to railways and other information. This example is from the editions of 1854 or 1856 - so dated from the railways shown, the publisher's imprints, and the population figures quoted. Full wash colour.
Ref: OXF 1184
 
B. Clarke R. Rowe    The British Gazetteer 1852 (1816)
£35
33.5 x 41cm


These maps first appeared in Rowe's English Atlas of 1816, being subsequently acquired by a succession of later publishers and used in a variety of their works. They were modified and updated during this time. This example is the second lithographic transfer for Clarke's British Gazetteer, published in 1852 by H.G. Collins. Folded and trimmed close to bottom right hand border to fit the volume.
Ref: OXF 1185
 
J. Lodge    Untitled Atlas of the English Counties c1795
£90
26.5 x 32.5cm


This was one of a set of county maps engraved by John Lodge and issued between 1787 and 1790 in The Political Magazine, and Parliamentary, Naval, Military and Literary Journal, published initially by John Murray, and later by R. Butters. The maps were subsequently collected together and re-issued as an atlas (without title page) around 1795. For this atlas edition the imprint with the publication date and engraver's and publisher's signatures was removed from the maps. This example is from the atlas edition. The maps are well engraved in the plainer style then coming into vogue. They are uncommon, and sought by collectors.
Ref: OXF 002
 
J. Blaeu    Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, sive Atlas Novus/Atlas Maior 1645-62
£475
50.5 x 38cm


The Blaeu family were one of the leading Dutch map producers of the 17th century. Their major work was a multi volume world atlas initiated by Willem Blaeu and expanded by his son Joan. Their maps were beautifully designed and engraved, and are often found with original colour, making them most desirable to collectors. 1645 saw the first publication of volume 4 of the atlas, containing maps of England and Wales. There were several re-issues between then and 1672 when most of Blaeu's plates were lost in a fire which engulfed his Amsterdam premises. Latin text on the verso narrows dating of this example to the editions of 1645, 1648 or 1662. The map is in full colour and in excellent condition. It is supplied in an attractive and double-glazed frame allowing the text on the verso to be read.
Ref: OXF 1629
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    View of the Representative History of England 1835
£20
18.5 x 25cm


This work was published in 1835 as a companion volume to Lewis's Topographic Dictionary. It contains county and borough maps, drawn by R. Creighton and engaved by J.& C. Walker, and was designed to show the electoral and boundary changes effected by the 1832 Reform Act. There were 2 issues of the work in 1835 and 1840, this example of the county map being from the 1835 first edition. Original outline colour.
Ref: OXF 003
 
J. Wallis S. Oddy    Wallis's New Britlish Atlas 1813
£35
27 x 18cm


James Wallis's New British Atlas was first published in 1813 by S.A. Oddy. There was a second edition in 1816. This example is from the 1813 edition, but the Oxfordshire map is unusual in lacking the publishers imprint and date present on nearly all the other maps in the source atlas. It is in attractive, original, full wash colour.
Ref: OXF 1567
 
J. Wallis W. Reid    The Panorama or Travellers' Instructive Guide 1820
£35
6.5 x 10.5cm


Maps for this miniature atlas were probably drawn and engraved by James Wallis, though alternative imprints serve to confuse the issue, some crediting Wallis as the printer and W. Reid as the publisher, and other listing Wallis and C. Hinton as co-publishers. It is most likely that Hinton had an early interest in the project, but dropped out before publication in 1820 to be replaced by Reid. Ownership of the plates later passed to Hodgson and Co. who issued a further edition with slightly amended title in 1825. This example has the imprint of Hinton and Wallis.
Ref: OXF 005
 
H. Teesdale R. Rowe    New British Atlas 1829 (c1812-14)
£55
34 x 41cm


This detailed and well engraved map was one of a set first published around 1812-14 by Robert Rowe, who was probably also their draftsman and engraver. The maps were initially sold singly in folding format until their collective issue in 1816 as The English Atlas. The plates were later acquired by Henry Teesdale, who amended titles and imprints and re-issued the work as the New British Atlas in 1829, with several re-issues up to 1842. The plates were later acquired and used by H.G. Collins and then by G. Philip and Son, who both used them as the base for lithographic transfers for a variety of works up to c1860.
Ref: OXF 006
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas 1828 or 1833 (1822)
£35
18 x 23.5cm


In 1822 Charles Smith issued a county atlas with maps based on his larger county maps which had been in circulation for over 20 years. The new maps were smaller in scale, but the atlas bore the same title as that in which his larger maps appeared. They are clearly drawn and engraved, but although there were several editions of the atlas, they are today amongst the rarer of the 18th century county maps. This example is from the edition of 1828 or 1833, in which the maps have no date in the imprint, but before railways were added for the edition of 1844. Original outline colour.
Ref: OXF 007
 
T. Murray    An Atlas of the English Counties 1830
£36
36 x 45cm


The title page of Murray's county atlas states that the maps were "Projected on the basis of the Trigonometrical Survey by order of the hon.ble The Board of Ordnance, under the superindendance of T.L. Murray". This might seem to imply the project had at least the official blessing, if not the active involvement of the Ordnance Survey, but is more likely to be a marketing puff. D. Hodson has suggested that the maps were copied from those of William Ebden published from 1825-8, both sets also being engraved by the same firm of Hoare & Reeves. Murray's Atlas was first published in 1830, with second and third editions in 1831 and 1832, the latter with the adddition of electoral data. by 1838 the plates had been acquired by W. Robson & Co. who published and sold the maps individually, and also used them in their commercial directories. This example is from the first edition of 1830. Original colour.
Ref: OXF 009
 

Town Plans

T. Moule    Barclay's Universal English Dictionary 1842-52 (1837)
£95
18.5 x 24.5cm


Oxford. This map, designed by Thomas Moule and engraved by James Bingley, was first issued in the early 1830's in a partwork titled The English Counties Delineated, and subsequently in atlas format in 1837 under a similar title. The maps were later re-issued in editions of Barclay's Complete English Dictionary between 1842 and 1843 (although the Oxford map does not appear in all editions). Moule was an antiquary and a herald, and his maps are a stylistic throwback in an age when mapmaking favoured a much plainer style of presentation. This copy is from one of the editions of Barclay's Dictionary, and is offered mounted and ready for framing.
Ref: TWN 117
 

Topographical prints - other areas

A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£8
19 x 12.5cm


Blenheim Palace, Woodstock. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. The construction of Blenheim Palace began in 1705, on land gifted to John Churchil, Duke of Marlborough, by a grateful nation in recognition of his victory at the Battle of Blenheim during the War of the Spanish Succession. Parliament voted funding for the build to which the Duke also contributed. The architect was Sir John Vanburgh and the house was mostly completed by 1725, in the English Baroque style. Quarrels between the Royal House household and the Marlboroughs, and between the Dutchess and the Architect contributed to the delay, causing disruptions to the flow of funding. The house remains the seats of the Dukes of Marlborough today, and is open to the public. This print has been remargined to the top border, where separated from an adjoining view.
Ref: TOP 120
 
Author not known.   The Beauties of England and Wales 1814
£12
15 x 10cm


Blandford House (Cornbury Park) near Charlbury. The Beauties of England and Wales was a topographical partwork issued in 18 volumes between 1810 and 1815. It was initially published by Vernor & Hood, and later by J. Harris. The estate of Cornbury is mentioned in the Domesday Book, but the earliest mention of the estate house dates from 1337.It was then a royal property, used as a hunting lodge, but by c 1615 was occupied by Henry Danvers, Earl of Danby, who built a new house there in the 1630's. The house was extended by a further new owner in 1661. By the late 1700's the house had passed into the ownership of the Duke of Marlborough, and had been re-christened Blandford House. It is today the private home of Lord and Lady Rotherwick, and has reverted to its original name of Cornbury House. This print was engraved by Woolnoth from a drawing by J.P. Neale, and is dated 1814.
Ref: TOP 159
 
Author not known.   The Beauties of England and Wales 1813
£12
15 x 10.5cm


Grey's Court, near Henley-on-Thames. The Beauties of England and Wales was a topographical partwork issued in 18 volumes between 1801 and 1815. It was initially published by Vernor & Hood, and later by J. Harris. The estate of Rotherfield Greys is mentioned in Domesday Book, when it belonged to the de Grey family. The present day Tudor mansion was built in the 1560's by Sir Francis Knollys, replacing an earlier meieval manor house, though the earliest surviving building on the site is the tower in the garden that dates from 1347 and was once part of a fortified castle. The house is today owned by the National Trust and open to the public. This print was engraved by Matthews from a drawing by the Rev'd. A. Howman, and is dated 1813.
Ref: TOP 158
 
Author not known.   The Beauties of England and Wales 1803
£10
15 x 10cm


Iffley, Oxford - St. Mary's Church. The Beauties of England and Wales was a topographical partwork issued in 18 volumes between 1810 and 1815. It was initially published by Vernor & Hood, and later by J. Harris. The Church of St. Mary was built around 1170-80 in the Norman style by the then Lord of the Manor, Robert de St. Remy. It is today Grade 1 listed, and has been little altered over the centuries, though the village of Iffley is now a suburb of Oxford. This print was engraved by B. Howlett from a drawing by J. Buckler, and is dated 1803.
Ref: TOP 155
 
Author not known.   The Beauties of England and Wales 1809
£12
17.5 x 13cm


Culham Court. The Beauties of England and Wales was a topographical partwork issued in 18 volumes between 1810 and 1815. It was initially published by Vernor& Hood, and later by J. Harris. Culham Court is a Queen Anne style, re-brick house on the banks of the Thames, just outside Henley. It was buily c 1770 by Richard Mitchell, a London lawyer who had married into money, and designed by Stiff Leadbetter. It remains today as a private residence. This print was engraved by W. Cooke after a drawing by S. Owen, and is dated 1809.
Ref: TOP 005
 
Author not known.   The Architectural Antiquities of Great Britain 1812
£10
13.5 x 20cm


Oxford - The Schools Tower. The Architectural Antiquities of Great Britain, by John Britton, was published in parts from 1805-14 by Longman and Co. This print was engraved by W. Woolnoth after a drawing by F. Mackenzie, and appeared in February 1812. It shows the Schools Tower of the Bodleian Library, better known as the Tower of the 5 Orders, as each story is built in a different one of the 5 classical orders of architecture. It was built between 1613 and 1619, as part of an extension for the library's fast growing stock of acquisitions. The tower is the main entrance to the library complex today.
Ref: TOP 166
 
Author not known.   The History and Antiquities of the Cathedral Church of Oxford 1820
£12
20.5 x 16cm


Oxford - Christ Church Cathedral Church. The History and Antiquities of the Cathedral Church of Oxford was one of a series of works on British cathedrals written by John Britton. It was published by Longman and Co. in 1821. The cathedral was originally the church of St. Frideswide's Priory, and has late Norman origins. The Priory was dissolved in 1522, and the site given to Cardinal Wolsey for a new Oxford college. After Wolsey's fall King Henry VIII took on the project which resulted in the foundation of Christ Church College in1546. The major part of the Priory church became the college's chapel, but the king also made it the cathedral church of the new diocese of Oxford. This print, engraved by S. Rawle after a drawing by T. Uwins, shows an interiior view of the church, and is dated December 1820. It is one of eleven prints in the work.
Ref: TOP 167
 
Author not known.   Publication not known. c1830
£0
15.5 x 9cm


Woodstock - Blenheim Palace. The construction of Blenheim Palace began in 1705, on land gifted to John Churchil, Duke of Marlborough, by a grateful nation in recognition of his victory at the Battle of Blenheim during the War of the Spanish Succession. Parliament voted funding for the build to which the Duke also contributed. The architect was Sir John Vanburgh and the house was mostly completed by 1725, in the English Baroque style. Quarrels between the Royal House household and the Marlboroughs, and between the Dutchess and the Architect contributed to the delay, causing disruptions to the flow of funding. The house remains the seats of the Dukes of Marlborough today, and is open to the public. This print, from an unknown source, shows a view of the palace from the gardens. It bears a faint signature, believed to be that of the engraver Samuel Rawle (1771-1860). An ex-library stamp to the lower right of the printed area could be hidden by judicious mounting.
Ref: TOP 161
 
Author not known.   Publication not known. c1820-30
£12
15.5 x 9cm


Woodstock - Blenheim Palace. The construction of Blenheim Palace began in 1705, on land gifted to John Churchil, Duke of Marlborough, by a grateful nation in recognition of his victory at the Battle of Blenheim during the War of the Spanish Succession. Parliament voted funding for the build to which the Duke also contributed. The architect was Sir John Vanburgh and the house was mostly completed by 1725, in the English Baroque style. Quarrels between the Royal House household and the Marlboroughs, and between the Dutchess and the Architect contributed to the delay, causing disruptions to the flow of funding. The house remains the seats of the Dukes of Marlborough today, and is open to the public. This print, from an unknown source, shows a view of the palace from the gardens. It bears a faint signature, believed to be that of the engraver Samuel Rawle (1771-1860). An ex-library stamp to the lower right of the printed area could be hidden by judicious mounting.
Ref: TOP 162
 
Author not known.   Publication not known. c1820-30
£12
15.5 x 9.5cm


Woodstock - Blenheim Palace. The construction of Blenheim Palace began in 1705, on land gifted to John Churchil, Duke of Marlborough, by a grateful nation in recognition of his victory at the Battle of Blenheim during the War of the Spanish Succession. Parliament voted funding for the build to which the Duke also contributed. The architect was Sir John Vanburgh and the house was mostly completed by 1725, in the English Baroque style. Quarrels between the Royal House household and the Marlboroughs, and between the Dutchess and the Architect contributed to the delay, causing disruptions to the flow of funding. The house remains the seats of the Dukes of Marlborough today, and is open to the public. This print, from an unknown source, shows a view of the palace from the gardens. It bears a faint signature, believed to be that of the engraver Samuel Rawle (1771-1860). An ex-library stamp to the lower right of the printed area could be hidden by judicious mounting.
Ref: TOP 164
 
F. Mackenzie J. Le Keux    Memorials of Oxford 1837
£15
10.5 x 13.5cm


Oxford - Merton College Chapel from the Quadrangle. Memorials of Oxford was first published in 1837, though there were several later editions. It was a 3 volume work, with text written by James Ingram, and numerous steel engravings by John Le Keux after drawings by Frederick Mackenzie. Merton College was founded in the 1260's, and in 1266 was gifted the Parish Church of St. John to serve as its chapel. The church was in por repiar and had to be replaced by a new building on the same site around 1290. Extensions were added in the 14th and 15th centuries, and the church continued to act both as the college chapel and the parish church until 1891. Its huge east window is an important example of the later development of the Early English Style.
Ref: TOP 180
 
Author not known.   Picturesque Europe c1887/8
£10
14.5 x 21cm


Oxford - Trinty College, the Lime Walk. Picturesque Europe was a serialised patwork, designed as a showcase for steel and wood engravings after and by significant artists of the day. The 60 parts were published monthly from 1875 to 1880.When sets of parts were completed, they were also sold as complete volumes, building to a full 5-volume set, 2 volumes of which were devoted to the British Isles.This wood-cut print, engraved by W.H.J. Boot, shows the Lime Walk in the grounds of Trinity College.
Ref: TOP 222