Copperplate

Buckinghamshire : 45 items

Maps

W. Hole    Camden's Britannia 1637 (1607)
£245
29 x 27.5cm


The first five editions of Camden's successful history and topography of Britain were without maps, but for the sixth edition of 1607 the engravers William Hole and William Kip were commissioned to provide a set of maps of the counties of England and Wales, plus 3 general maps of the countries comprising the new "United Kingdom". These maps were retained for the subsequent 1610 and 1637 editions. They are based on the earlier work of Saxton, Norden, Smith and Owen. Later editions of Britannia had maps by Robert Morden (and later still by John Cary). This example is by Hole and from the 1637 edition. Modern colour.
Ref: BUC 017
 
J. Speed    Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine 1623-32 (1612)
£850
51 x 38cm


John Speed's maps of the English and Welsh counties are amongst the most decorative of early, British cartographic work, and are eagerly sought after today. They were first published in 1612 in The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine, designed as a companion volume to Speed's History of Great Britaine. The maps were based on the earlier surveys of Saxton, Norden and a few others, with engraving contracted to Jodocus Hondius whose signature appears on 33 of the maps. Speed's greatest innovation was the inclusion of inset plans of major towns and cities. Although some were copied from earlier work, for many towns this was first plan ever published. Speed's county atlas was re-issued a number of times for a period of around 160 years, with new publishers making various small changes and updates to the maps over time. This example bears the imprint of G. Humble, dating its issue to 1623-32. G. Humble imprint. An excellent specimen
Ref: BUC 035
 
J. Bill    The Abridgement of Camden's Britannia 1626
£220
11.5 x 9cm


An attractive and rare county map, as the work was only ever printed in one edition with a print run suggested as just 200. The maps were copied from Saxton, and are notable as the first set of county maps to show latitude and longitude. A true collector's item from the rarest of English county atlases.
Ref: BUC 028
 
J. Seller    Camden's Britannia Abridg'd 1701 (c1695)
£38
14 x 11.5cm


First published in Anglia Contracta in c1695, John Seller's maps were subsequently reissued in A History of England in 1696, and in Camden's Britannia Abridg'd in 1701. They were later re-used in the 1780's in Grose's Antiquities of England and Wales, for which titles and scale-bars were changed, the maps also being set in a page of text. The Seller/Grose maps are common, the originals by Seller much less so. This example of the Buckinghamshire map is from Camden's Britannia Abridg'd published in 1701. Modern hand colour.
Ref: BUC 025
 
E. Bowen    Royal English Atlas c1764
£250
40 x 49.5cm


The Royal English Atlas was probably an attempt to repeat the commercial success of The Large English Atlas, with a somewhat smaller format. The maps were again engraved by Kitchin and Bowen, and the partners in the enterprise were based around the consortium that had finally brought out The Large English Atlas in 1760. This time, however, they misjudged the market, and although there were some later re-issues of the atlas, the modern rarity of the maps suggests it was not very successful. This example is from the first edition, and is most attractively coloured.
Ref: BUC 001
 
J. Ellis    Ellis's English Atlas 1766 (1765)
£65
19.5 x 25.5cm


Joseph Ellis's English Atlas was an entry into the market for small county atlases by its publishers Robert Sayer and Carington Bowles. The county maps were closely based upon those drawn by Thomas Kitchin for the 1763 topographical work England Illustrated, the major difference being the attractive vignettes which replaced Kitchin's rococco cartouches. The atlas was first published in 1765, and soon became a commercial success, running to many later editions. It was promoted as a travelling atlas, and made available in various formats. These included a version with the maps printed back to back on each page, as with this example from a 1766 edition which has a map of Berkshire printed on the reverse. Short tear to left margin just touching ruled border. Some light offsetting.
Ref: BUC 039
 
E. Bowen    The Natural History of England 1763 (1758)
£65
17 x 20cm


This map first appeared in 1758 in Benjamin Martin's General Magazine of Arts and Sciences, a monthly partwork which commenced publication in 1755. In 1763 those parts relating to natural history were collected together into 2 volumes with the county maps and offered under the title The Natural History of England. There were no later re-issues and the maps are not common. Close trimmed to the botton right-hand border to fit the volume, and here re-margined to assist mounting if desired. Supplied with the ten text pages describing the county.
Ref: BUC 008
 
J. Cary    Camden's Britannia 1806 (1789)
£75
35.5 x 52cm


Camden's Britannia was first published in 1586. County maps by Kip and Hole were first added in 1607, being supplanted by those of Robert Morden for the five editions from 1695 to 1772. In 1789 a new translation of the work by Richard Gough was published by T. Payne and G.&J. Robinson, with updated and modernised maps by John Cary. The same maps were also later used in Cary's New British Atlas of 1805. They can be found uncoloured, with outline colour, or with full wash colour. This example is from the second Gough edition of Britannia, published in 1806, and the maps are in original full wash colour - the most desirable state.
Ref: BUC 041
 
J. Aiken    England Delineated 1790
£18
8.5 x 15cm


John Aikin (or Aiken) wrote this topographical work for children in order "to make my young countrymen better acquainted than they are usually found to be with their native land". The first edition of 1788 did not include county maps, but these were added for the second edition of 1790, from which this example comes. The work was published by Joseph Johnson, but the maps are unsigned. There were four later editions of the book with the maps, and one without. The Buckinghamshire map is fairly simple, befitting the needs of its target audience, and the text may be available at no extra charge.
Ref: BUC 042
 
B. Capper    Topographical Dictionary of the UK 1808
£15
10 x 18cm


Benjamin Pitts Capper was the author of this topographical directory, first published by R. Phillips in 1808. The maps were engraved, and possibly drawn by H. Cooper. Later editions of the work carry the imprint of G.and W.B. Whittaker who re-published the book from 1825-34. This example is from the first edition of 1808, with the hundreds shown in original, full wash colour.
Ref: BUC 043
 
J. Cary    New English Atlas 1811 (1809)
£100
48 x 53.5cm


It is suprising that Cary's large county atlas was issued as late as 1809, as individual maps from it seem to have been sold singly from 1801. The atlas format was perhaps to compete with the similarly sized atlas of Charles Smith, which went under the same title and was published in 1804. It is perhaps Cary's finest production, the maps being notable for their fine design, detail and engraving. The atlas ran to several later editions by Cary, and the plates were later used for a variety of lithographic transfers by G.F. Cruchley. This example is from the second edition of 1811, and is in original full colour.
Ref: BUC 044
 
E. Langley W. Belch    Langley's New County Atlas of England and Wales 1820 (1818)
£50
17.5 x 31cm


Langley and Belch were in partnership from 1807 to 1820, and published their county atlas in 1818. The maps are attractive, with topograhical vignettes (in this case Eton College from the River Thames), and usually found in original full wash colour as here. After the dissolution of their partnership the map plates seem to have passed to the bookseller Joseph Phelps. Phelps re-issued the atlas in 1820, but also made the maps available singly, dissected, linen-backed and folding into slip cases. This is such an example with Phelps imprint to the map, and his sales label to the accompanying slip case. Slight print offsetting.
Ref: BUC 026
 
A. Fullarton    The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1847 (1833)
£30
18.5 x 23.5cm


These maps were first published by Fullarton and Co. in 1833 in James Bell's New and Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales which was re-issued three times in the 1830's. They were subsequently re-published (again by Fullarton) in 1840 in The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales, with several further re-issues up to 1849. The maps were engraved on steel and sometimes bear the name of the engraver and sometimes not. This example is from the Parliamentary Gazetteer of 1847 and Bears the signature of Gray & Son as engravers. Supplied mounted and ready for framing.
Ref: BUC 046
 
T. Murray    An Atlas of the English Counties 1830
£35
35.5 x 45cm


The title page of Murray's county atlas states that the maps were "Projected on the basis of the Trigonometrical Survey by order of the hon.ble The Board of Ordnance, under the superindendance of T.L. Murray". This might seem to imply the project had at least the official blessing, if not the active involvement of the Ordnance Survey, but is more likely to be a marketing puff. D. Hodson has suggested that the maps were copied from those of William Ebden published from 1825-8, both sets also being engraved by the same firm of Hoare & Reeves. Murray's Atlas was first published in 1830, with second and third editions in 1831 and 1832, the latter with the adddition of electoral data. by 1838 the plates had been acquired by W. Robson & Co. who published and sold the maps individually, and also used them in their commercial directories. This example is from the first edition of 1830. Original colour.
Ref: BUC 016
 
H. Teesdale R. Rowe    New British Atlas 1830 (1812-14)
£42
34 x 41cm


This detailed and well engraved map was one of a set first published around 1812-14 by Robert Rowe, who was probably also their draftsman and engraver. The maps were initially sold singly in folding format until their collective issue in 1816 as The English Atlas. The plates were later acquired by Henry Teesdale, who amended titles and imprints and re-issued the work as the New British Atlas in 1829, with several re-issues up to 1842. The plates were later acquired and used by H.G. Collins and then by G. Philip and Son, who both used them as the base for lithographic transfers for a variety of works up to c1860. This example is from the 1830 second edition of Teesdale's atlas. Original wash colour. One short, repaired marginal tear, not impinging the printed area.
Ref: BUC 015
 
J. Duncan    A Complete County Atlas of England and Wales 1840-45 (1825)
£55
34.5 x 44cm


Coloured. These maps were first published in 1825, and probably sold singly. In 1833 they were re-published by James Duncan in a thematic atlas to illustrate the representative changes brought about by the 1832 Reform Act. There were later re-issues in 1840 and 1845 with the addition of railways, and this map dates from one of these editions. A little light offsetting.
Ref: BUC 1090
 
R. Ramble W. Darton    Reuben Ramble's Travels through the Counties of England. 1845
£60
15.5 x 18.5cm


These maps (without the decorative borders) were first issued in 1821 in Miller's New Miniature Atlas. The plates were later acquired by William Darton who re-issued them as a miniature atlas, but also used the maps, embellished by country scenes in this children's work. Reuben Ramble is an invented character. Original colour to the illustrations, but the map has been coloured later. Supplied with the text page describing the county.
Ref: BUC 002
 
J. Wallis S. Oddy    Wallis's New Britlish Atlas 1813
£37
17.5 x 26cm


James Wallis's New British Atlas was first published in 1813 by S.A. Oddy. There was a second edition in 1816. This example is from the first edition and is dated 1812 on the imprint. It is in attractive, original, full wash colour. A couple of light brown marks, but otherwise in good condition.
Ref: BUC 1546
 
R. Blome    Britannia 1673
£240
25.5 x 31cm


Originally intended as volume 3 of a larger cartographic project (The English Atlas), Blome's Britannia was published alone in 1673. A rare second edition was issued in 1677. The Buckinghamshire map is dedicated to the Earl of Bridgewater.
Ref: BUC 1425
 
J. Seller    The History of England 1701 (c1695)
£60
14 x 16.5cm


First published in Anglia Contracta in c 1695, Seller's maps were subsequently reissued in A History of England in 1696 (with later editions in 1697, 1701 and 1703), and in Camden's Britannia Abridged in 1701. They were later re-used in the 1780's in Grose's Antiquities of England and Wales, for which titles and scale-bars were changed, the maps also being set in a page of text. The Seller/Grose maps are common, the originals by Seller are not.
Ref: BUC 009
 
J. Harrison    Maps of the English Counties 1791 (1788)
£70
33 x 46cm


Harrison's atlas was published in 1791, but maps were engraved and dated between 1787 and 1791, and may have been sold singly as completed. Buckinghamshire is dated 1788.
Ref: BUC1486
 
J. Blaeu    Theatrum Orbis Terrarum/Atlas Maior 1645-72
£220
26.5 x 40.5cm


The Blaeu family were one of the leading Dutch map producers of the 17th century. Their major work was a multi volume world atlas initiated by Willem Blaeu and expanded by his son Joan. Their maps were beautifully designed and engraved, and are often found with original colour, making them most desirable to collectors. 1645 saw the first publication of volume 4 of the atlas, containing maps of England and Wales. There were several re-issues between then and 1672 when most of Blaeu's plates were lost in a fire which engulfed his Amsterdam premises. Checking the language of the text on the verso of this map might enable more specific dating to specific editions, but the map has not been examined out of the attractive frame in which it is supplied. Original colour and in good condition.
Ref: BUC 1628
 
R. Morden    Magna Britannia et Hibernia 1720 (1715)
£65
16 x 20.5cm


Morden's set of smaller maps may originally have been drawn and engraved for Camden's Britannia, but rejected as too small. They were first published in 1701 in The New Description and State of England. This example is from Magna Britannia et Hibernia, originally issued as a 92 part topographical work between 1714 and 1731, but gradually also made available in 6 finished, bound volumes. The text and map of Buckinghamshire first appeared in October 1715, but this example is from volume 1 of the bound work with a title-page date of 1720. Original outline colour. Trimmed close to lower left border at the time of binding, but without loss. Re-margined to facilitate mounting if desired.
Ref: BUC 007
 
G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£38
20 x 16cm


The New British Traveller was originally issued as a weekly partwork by the publisher Alexander Hogg, commencing in 1783. Once the series of 60 parts was completed in 1784 title pages were provided for the pages to be bound in a single volume. The work is a topographical review of Great Britain, containing numerous prints and a set of county and general maps. The maps are of varying sizes, being typically arranged 2,3 or 4 to a single page, with adjoining borders. When separated this means individual maps will be trimmed to the border on one or two sides and are often re-margined for mounting and framing. The map of Buckinghamshire is re-margined on one side and sold ready-mounted. The text pages for the county may be available on request at no extra charge.
Ref: BUC 021
 
J. Cary    Cary's Traveller's Companion 1819 (1790)
£15
9 x 14cm


Cary's Traveller's Companion was first published in 1790. It proved very popular as a pocket road book, and ran to several editions up to c 1828. The plates were re-engraved for the editions of 1806 and 1822. This example is from the 1819 edition, using the second plate. Original outline colour.
Ref: BUC 003
 
T. Kitchin    The Antiquities of England and Wales 1787-9 (1748)
£45
16 x 20.5cm


The Antiquities of England and Wales was a weekly partwork published by Alexander Hogg from 1787-9, to compete with Grose's similar work on antiquities which had just been completed. The nominal editor of the work, Henry Boswell, may or not have actually existed. Hogg included a set of county maps of England and Wales by Thomas Kitchin, which had first appeared in the London Magazine between 1747 and 1765, that of Buckinghamshire being first published in 1748.
Ref: BUC 1591
 
J. Lodge    Untitled Atlas of the English Counties 26 x 32
£85
c1795 (1787)cm


This was one of a set of county maps engraved by John Lodge and issued between 1787 and 1790 in The Political Magazine, and Parliamentary, Naval, Military and Literary Journal, published initially by John Murray, and later by R. Butters. The maps were subsequently collected together and re-issued as an atlas (without title page) around 1795. For this atlas edition the imprint with the publication date and engraver's and publisher's signatures was removed from the maps. This example is from the atlas edition. The maps are well engraved in the plainer style then coming into vogue. They are uncommon, and sought by collectors. Modern colour.
Ref: BUC 022
 
H. Fisher    Fisher's County Atlas of England and Wales c1845
£30
27.5 x 34cm


This atlas project was initiated by James Gilbert in 1842 with the first 7 maps being drawn and engraved by Joshua Archer, but was then taken over over by Fisher, Son & Co. and subsequent maps (including the map of Buckinghamshire) were engraved by F.P. Becker & Co. Original outline colour.
Ref: BUC 1649
 
J. Hinton T. Kitchin    The Universal Magazine of Knowledge and Pleasure 1747
£45
15 x 19.5cm


The Universal Magazine was a monthly magazine founded by John Hinton and published between 1747 and 1799. English and Welsh county maps were included from time to time, the first four being drawn and engraved by Kitchin, and many of those following by Emanuel Bowen or R. Seale, though some lack any engraver's signature. This map of Buckinghamshire was issued in the edition of October 1747.
Ref: BUC 004
 
J. Walker R. Creighton    View of the Representative History of England 1835
£20
18 x 25cm


This work was published in 1835 as a companion volume to Lewis's Topographic Dictionary. It contains county and borough maps, drawn by R. Creighton and engaved by J.& C. Walker, and was designed to show the electoral and boundary changes effected by the 1832 Reform Act. There were 2 issues of the work in 1835 and 1840, this example of the county map being from the 1835 first edition. Original outline colour.
Ref: BUC 012
 
E. Bowen    The Large English Atlas 1764-79 (1756)
£175
53 x 70.5cm


This new series of maps was commenced in 1749, with maps sold singly until the last counties were completed and the full series issued in 1760 as the Large English Atlas. Buckinghamshire was first issued in 1756. The imprint on this example bears the names of R.Sayer, J. Bowles and T. Bowles, dating it to an atlas edition of c1762-64. Original outline colour. The map has been laid on card, and is supplied in an attractive new gold frame.
Ref: BUC 010
 
G. Rollos    England Displayed 1769 (1763)
£58
21.5 x 29cm


In 1762-3 George Rollos engraved 5 maps of English and Welsh counties for The British Magazine. In 1769 four of the maps were re-issued, with the original imprints removed, in the topographical work England Displayed. This example is from this latter publication.
Ref: BUC 013
 

Topographical prints - other areas

Author not known.   The Copper Plate Magazine 1794
£12
cm


Bulstrode. The Copper Plate Magazine was a monthly magazine which ran from 1782 to 1804 as a vehicle for picturesque topographical prints. This print of Bullstrode House was engraved by Corbould after a drawing by Walker, and is dated 1794. Bulstrode Park lies just to the NW of Gerrards Cross. The infamous Judge Jefferys acquired the estate in 1676 and rebuilt the pre-existing house as a more imposing red-brick mansion. This house was later partly demolished and remodelled in 1860 by the then owner the 12th Duke of Portland. His house is still extant under the prersent ownership of the Worldwide Evangelization Crusade. A little light foxing to the margins which would be hidden by a mount.
Ref: TOP 011
 
Author not known.   The Copper Plate Magazine 1794
£12
16.5 x 12cm


Langley Park. The Copper Plate Magazine was a monthly magazine published from 1792 to 1804 as a vehicle for picturesque, topographical engravings. This print was engraved by Walker after a drawing by Corbould, and is dated 1794. Langley Park was built between 1756 and 1758 for the 3rd Duke of Marlborough. The house and gardens are today owned by Buckinghamshire County Council. The house is let out as offices, but the park is open to the public.
Ref: TOP 012
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£5
17.5 x 15cm


Gothurst. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. Gothurst (or Gayhurst) House is Elizabethan in date, though its estate dates back to the Norman conquest. The house is c4 miles from Newport Pagnell and survives today, having been converted into individual residential properties in the 1970's. This print was engraved by Lodge. A little foxing to the margins which would be hidden by a mount.
Ref: TOP 114
 
Author not known.   The Beauties of England and Wales 1802
£12
15 x 11cm


Stoke Park. The Beauties of England and Wales was a topographical partwork issued in 18 volumes between 1801 and 1815. It was initially published by Vernor & Hood and later by J. Harris. This print of Stoke Park House was engraved by J. Hawkins after P. Mann & J. Britton. The house, near Stke Poges, was designed by James Wyatt in1788 forJohn Penn. It survives today as a hotel and country club. The print is supplied mounted and ready for framing.
Ref: TOP 009
 
Author not known.   The Beauties of England and Wales 1810
£12
19 x 13cm


Harleyford House. The Beauties of England and Wales was a topographical partwork issued in 18 volumes between 1801 and 1815. It was initially published by Vernor & Hood and later by J. Harris. This print was engraved by W. Cooke after a drawing by S. Owen, and appeared in the work in 1810. Harleyford House stands on the banks of the Thames near Marlow. The original manor house was replaced by a new Georgian villa in 1753. The house survives today and is rented out as offices.
Ref: TOP 004
 
Author not known.   The Beauties of England and Wales 1809
£12
19 x 13cm


Medmenhan Abbey. The Beauties of England and Wales was a topographical partwork issued in 18 volumes between 1801 and 1815. It was initially published by Vernor & Hood and later by J. Harris.This print was engraved by S. Middiman after a drawing by S. Owen and appeared in the work in 1809. Medmenham Abbey, beside the river Thames was a 12th century Cistercian Abbey, the ruins of which were used by the infamous Hellfire Club as their headquarters. They have today been incorporated into a private residence. A little browning to the margins of the print which would be hidden by a mount.
Ref: TOP 008
 
Author not known.   The Beauties of England and Wales 1810
£12
18.5 x 12.5cm


Taplow House. The Beauties of England and Wales was a topographical partwork issued in 18 volumes between 1801 and 1815. It was initially published by Vernor & Hood and later by J. Harris. This print was engraved by G. Cooke after a drawing by S. Owen, and appeared in the work in 1810. Taplow House was built in 1751, and survives today as a hotel.
Ref: TOP 007
 
Author not known.   The Beauties of England and Wales 1810
£12
15 x 11cm


Gothurst. The Beauties of England and Wales was a topographical partwork issued in 18 volumes between 1801 and 1815. It was initially published by Vernor & Hood and later by J. Harris. This print was drawn and engraved by J. Storer and appeared in the work in 1810. Gothurst (or Gayhurst) House is Elizabethan in date, though its estate dates back to the Norman conquest. The house is c4 miles from Newport Pagnell and survives today, having been converted into individual residential properties in the 1970's.
Ref: TOP 003
 
J. Cary    The Gentleman's Magazine 1810
£12
16.5 x 10cm


Beaconsfield Church. The Gentleman's Magazine was a long-runningand popular 18th century magazine which covered a wide range of subjects. This print of the church at Beaconsfield was engraved by J. Cary after a drawing by W. Hamper, and appeared in the magazine in 1810. It is supplied mounted, ready for framing.
Ref: TOP 002
 
Author not known.   The Seats of the Nobility and Gentry in Great Britain and Wales 1793
£12
18.5 x 14.5cm


Chalfont House. William Angus was an engraver who between 1787 and 1797 issued serially a number of engravings of stately homes under the above title. Angus published the work himself, as well as engraving all the plates after drawings by a variety of artists. Chalfont House, in Chalfont St. Peter, was built in 1755 in the Gothic style by J. Chute. It is today owned by the British Aluminium Company. There are a few light spots to the print, mostly marginal and likely to be hidden once mounted.
Ref: TOP 017
 
Author not known.   The History of Windsor and its Neighbourhood 1813
£12
21.5 x 16cm


View from Cliefden (Cliveden). The History of Windsor and its Neighbourhood was authored by the architect J. Hakewill who also provided the drawings for the 21 plates and 14 vignettes. These were engraved by a variety of hands, and the work was published by E. Lloyd in 1813. This plate is of the famous view of the Thames from the south terrace of Cliveden House, now owned by the National Trust but operating as a luxury hotel.
Ref: TOP 015
 
B. Clarke    The British Gazetteer 1852
£15
20.5 x 11.5cm


Wolverton Viaduct on the London and North Western Railway. The British Gazetteer was authored by B. Clarke and published by H.G. Collins in 1852. Apart from topographical text listings, it included a set of county maps (originally by Rowe), and a small series of railway prints after drawings by J.F. Burrell. This print was engraved by A. Ashley and shows the imposing viaduct built in 1838 to carry the line over the valley of the River Ouse.
Ref: TOP 1487
 
J. Cassell    Our Own Country c1880-98
£10
19.5 x 14cm


Great Marlow from Quarry Woods. Our Own Country was a topographical partwork published serially by Cassell & Co. from c 1800, and as a complete work in 1898. This wood-block print was engraved by H. Werdmuller after a drawing by G.L. Seymour. Later colour.
Ref: TOP 010