Copperplate

Rutlandshire : 24 items

Maps

C. Saxton P. Lea    The Shires of England & Wales 1732-48 (1579)
£1250
51 x 39cm


In c1689 Philip Lea published a new edition of Saxton's atlas, the plates being much revised to include roads and town plans. Lea's plates were acquired by George Wildey in 1730 who added his own imprint and sold the maps singly or in atlas format. The Saxton map originally covered the 5 counties of Northants, Beds, Hunts. Rutland and Cambridge. Lea's revisions obliterated much of Cambridge and Wildey had to have a new map of this county engraved for the atlas. Old colour. A very good example of this most desirable and scarce map.G. Wildey imprint.
Ref: NTN 516
 
J. Speed    Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine 1676 (1612)
£380
51 x 38.5cm


John Speed's maps of the English and Welsh counties are amongst the most decorative of early, British cartographic work, and are eagerly sought after today. They were first published in 1612 in The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine, designed as a companion volume to Speed's History of Great Britaine. The maps were based on the earlier surveys of Saxton, Norden and a few others, with engraving contracted to Jodocus Hondius whose signature appears on 33 of the maps. Speed's greatest innovation was the inclusion of inset plans of major towns and cities. Although some were copied from earlier work, for many towns this was first plan ever published. Speed's county atlas was re-issued a number of times for a period of around 160 years, with new publishers making various small changes and updates to the maps over time. This example bears the imprint of Basset & Chiswell, dating it to the edition of 1676. A small section of the bottom left hand border not printed probably due to the plate having been damaged before this date.
Ref: RUT 600
 
J. Blaeu    Novus Atlas, Das ist Welt-beschreibung 1645-67 (1645)
£295
49.5 x 38cm


The Blaeu family were one of the leading Dutch map producers of the 17th century. Their major work was a multi volume world atlas initiated by Willem Blaeu and expanded by his son Joan. Their maps were beautifully designed and engraved, and are often found with original colour, making them most desirable to collectors. 1645 saw the first publication of volume 4 of the atlas, containing maps of England and Wales. There were several re-issues between then and 1672 when most of Blaeu's plates were lost in a fire which engulfed his Amsterdam premises. German text to verso dates this example to the editions of 1645, 1648 or 1667. It is in original colour and in very good condition.
Ref: RUT 601
 
R. Blome    Britannia 1673
£175
28 x 21.5cm


Originally intended as volume 3 of a larger cartographic project (The English Atlas), Richard Blome's Britannia was published alone in 1673. A rare second edition was issued in 1677. This map of Rutlan is from the first edition of the work, and was dedicated to Robert Brudenell, Baron Brudenell of Stanton Wyvill in Leicestershire and 2nd Earl of Cardigan. In return for his patronage of Blome's project Brudenell received this dedication on the county map, and also appeared in the list of the nobility and gentry of the county, his coat of arms being further included amongst the 816 illustrated in the volume.
Ref: RUT 021
 
R. Morden    Camden's Britannia 1695-1772 (1695)
£85
35.5 x 28.5cm


Camden's Britannia - a history and topography of Britain - was first published in 1586 and had a long and successful publication history. County maps by Kip and Hole were addded in 1607, and these also appeared in the editions of 1610 and 1637. Over 50 year's later it was decided to issue a new and updated edition. The original Latin text was re-translated by Edmund Gibson, and Robert Morden was commissioned to provide a new set of county and general maps in a more modern style. The revised work was issued in 1695. There were 4 further editions of the Gibson/Morden work, the last in 1772, before a further updated version by Richard Gough was launched in 1789, with new maps by John Cary. This example is from one of the Gibson editions
Ref: RUT 603
 
F. Grose J. Seller    The Antiquities of England & Wales 1787-1809 (1695)
£25
14.5 x 11.5cm


In c1695 John Seller published a county atlas titled Anglia Contracta. The plates were much later acquired by Francis Grose, revised, and used in a supplement to his partwork on British antiquities. The supplement with maps was first published in 1787, and ran to several later editions. Modern colour, with descriptive text below and to verso.
Ref: RUT 013
 
E. Bowen    Large English Atlas 1756-60 (1756)
£180
69 x 52.5cm


Map includes Leicestershire. Original outline colour. Some old folds with a pinhole where they meet within the upper right text block. Some repaired marginal tears not affecting the printed area.This new series of maps was commenced in 1749, with maps sold singly until the last counties were completed and the full series issued in 1760 as the Large English Atlas. Leicestershire-Rutland was first issued in 1756. J.Tinney's name on the imprint dates this copy to the first edition of the atlas in 1760 or earlier.
Ref: LEI 348
 
J. Ellis    Ellis's English Atlas 1766 (1765)
£65
19 x 25cm


Joseph Ellis's English Atlas was an entry into the market for small county atlases by its publishers Robert Sayer and Carington Bowles. The county maps were closely based upon those drawn by Thomas Kitchin for the 1763 topographical work England Illustrated, the major difference being the attractive vignettes which replaced Kitchin's rococco cartouches. The atlas was first published in 1765, and soon became a commercial success, running to many later editions. It was promoted as a travelling atlas, and made available in various formats. These included a version with the maps printed back to back on each page, as with this example from a 1766 edition which has a map of Oxfordshire on the reverse.
Ref: RUT 608
 
J. Cary    New and Correct English Atlas 1809 (1787)
£22
26 x 21.5cm


The last decades of the 18th century saw less emphasis being placed on the traditions of decorative mapmaking in favour of a plainer style and design. Foremost amongst this new wave of "modern" cartographers and engravers was John Cary. The New and Correct English Atlas was Cary's first major production as a publisher in his own account. The maps were not only clearly and elegantly drawn and engraved, but also set new standards in accuracy in taking advantage of all the new large-scale county surveys of the second half of the 18th century. The atlas was first published in 1787, with a re-issue in 1793. By 1808 the plates were well worn, and the engraving of a new set was begun. The next dated edition of 1809, from which this example comes, utilised these new plates. Original outline colour.
Ref: RUT 609
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas 1808 (1804)
£70
48.5 x 43cm


Charles Smith was a successful London publisher and map-seller, whose work is stylistically very similar to that of John Cary. His large format New English Atlas first came to market in 1804, but many of the maps have also been found in folding format and may have been sold individually before the publication of the atlas. Smith's maps were well designed and accurate, making use of the large scale county surveys of the previous half-century. The atlas was a commercial success and was up-dated and re-published regularly until c1865 (the latter editions produced by lithographic transfer). This example is from the 1808 second edition, and is in bright and original full colour.
Ref: RUT 612
 
B. Capper    Topographical Dictionary of the UK 1808
£10
17.5 x 10.5cm


Benjamin Pitts Capper was the author of this topographical directory, first published by R. Phillips in 1808. The maps were engraved, and possibly drawn by H. Cooper. Later editions of the work carry the imprint of G.and W.B. Whittaker who re-published the book from 1825-34. This example is from the first edition of 1808, with the hundreds shown in original, full wash colour.
Ref: RUT 613
 
J. Cary    New English Atlas 1811 (1809)
£70
53.5 x 48cm


It is suprising that Cary's large county atlas was issued as late as 1809, as individual maps from it seem to have been sold singly from 1801. The atlas format was perhaps to compete with the similarly sized atlas of Charles Smith, which went under the same title and was published in 1804. It is perhaps Cary's finest production, the maps being notable for their fine design, detail and engraving. The atlas ran to several later editions by Cary, and the plates were later used for a variety of lithographic transfers by G.F. Cruchley. This example is from the second edition of 1811, and is in original full colour.
Ref: RUT 614
 
J. Wallis S. Oddy    Wallis's New Britlish Atlas 1813
£30
17.5 x 25.5cm


James Wallis's New British Atlas was first published in 1813 by S.A. Oddy. There was a second edition in 1816. This example is from the first edition and is dated 1812 on the imprint. It is in attractive, original, full wash colour, and in good condition.
Ref: RUT 1572
 
C. Greenwood    Atlas of the Counties of England 1834 (1831)
£120
64.5 x 53.5cm


Original full colour, and in good condition. The Greenwoods surveyed all the counties from 1817-33 for their beautifully engraved county atlas finally published in 1834. Maps were also sold singly as produced. The Rutland map is corrected to 1831, and this example was sold in atlas format.
Ref: RUT 615
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    Lewis' Topographical Dictionary 1831-49
£8
17.5 x 23cm


Original outline colour. Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England ran to several editions, with the county maps bound into a separate atlas volume. The maps were drawn by R. Creighton and engraved by J.& C. Walker.
Ref: RUT 616
 
J. Barclay T. Moule    Barclay's Universal English Dictionary 1848 (1837)
£50
19 x 25cm


Thomas Moule's antiquarian leanings are evident in this series of highly decorative county maps - a stylistic throwback in an age when cartographic work had become much plainer and more utilitarian. The maps were engraved by W. Smollinger, J. Bingley and J. Dower, and first appeared in Moule's English Counties Delineated, a partwork with text issued from 1830. They were subsequently made available as a complete work in 1837 under the same title, and were later re-issued in Barclay's Universal English Dictionary between 1842 and 1852. This latter work ran to several editions and the maps were often updated between editions to show the latest growth of the railway network. This example is from the 1848 edition of Barclay's Dictionary. Modern colour. Supplied mounted and ready to frame.
Ref: RUT 022
 
J. Duncan    A Complete County Atlas of England and Wales 1840-45 (1825)
£35
44 x 34.5cm


Coloured. These maps were first published in 1825, and probably sold singly. In 1833 they were re-published by James Duncan in a thematic atlas to illustrate the representative changes brought about by the 1832 Reform Act. There were later re-issues in 1840 and 1845 with the addition of railways, and this map dates from one of these editions.
Ref: RUT 1115
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    View of the Representative History of England 1835
£17
18 x 22.5cm


This work was published in 1835 as a companion volume to Lewis's Topographic Dictionary. It contains county and borough maps, drawn by R. Creighton and engaved by J.& C. Walker, and was designed to show the electoral and boundary changes effected by the 1832 Reform Act. There were 2 issues of the work in 1835 and 1840, this example of the county map being from the 1835 first edition. Original outline colour.
Ref: RUT 004
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas (reduced maps) 182/1833 (1822)
£35
18.5 x 23.5cm


In 1822 Charles Smith issued a county atlas with maps based on his larger county maps which had been in circulation for over 20 years. The new maps were smaller in scale, but the atlas bore the same title as that in which his larger maps appeared. They are clearly drawn and engraved, but although there were several editions of the atlas, they are today amongst the rarer of the 18th century county maps. This example is from the edition of 1828 or 1833, in which the maps have no date in the imprint, but before railways were added for the edition of 1844. Original outline colour.
Ref: RUT 005
 
B. Clarke R. Rowe    The British Gazetteer 1852 (1812-14)
£10
42.5 x 35.5cm


Rowe's maps were firstproduced between 1812 and 1814, and probably sold singly before their appearance in Rowe's English Atlas of 1816. They were subsequently acquired by a succession of later publishers and used in a variety of their works. During this time they were modified and updated. This example is the second lithographic transfer for Clarke's British Gazetteer, published in 1852 by H.G. Collins. Remargined where folded and trimmed close to bottom right hand border to fit the volume. Some creasing, two internal repaired tears along folds, and a toned segment in the upper right of the map. Priced accordingly.
Ref: RUT 010
 
H. Teesdale R. Rowe    New British Atlas 1830 (1812-14)
£25
41 x 34cm


This detailed and well engraved map was one of a set first published around 1812-14 by Robert Rowe, who was probably also their draftsman and engraver. The maps were initially sold singly in folding format until their collective issue in 1816 as The English Atlas. The plates were later acquired by Henry Teesdale, who amended titles and imprints and re-issued the work as the New British Atlas in 1829, with several re-issues up to 1842. The plates were later acquired and used by H.G. Collins and then by G. Philip and Son, who both used them as the base for lithographic transfers for a variety of works up to c1860. This example is from the 1830 second edition of Teesdale's atlas. Original wash colour. A couple of very short, repaired, marginal tears, not affecting the printed image.
Ref: RUT 009
 
T. Murray    An Atlas of the English Counties 1830
£27
45 x 35.5cm


The title page of Murray's county atlas states that the maps were "Projected on the basis of the Trigonometrical Survey by order of the hon.ble The Board of Ordnance, under the superindendance of T.L. Murray". This might seem to imply the project had at least the official blessing, if not the active involvement of the Ordnance Survey, but is more likely to be a marketing puff. D. Hodson has suggested that the maps were copied from those of William Ebden published from 1825-8, both sets also being engraved by the same firm of Hoare & Reeves. Murray's Atlas was first published in 1830, with second and third editions in 1831 and 1832, the latter with the adddition of electoral data. by 1838 the plates had been acquired by W. Robson & Co. who published and sold the maps individually, and also used them in their commercial directories. This example is from the first edition of 1830. Original colour. A very short, repaired tear to the top left margin, not affecting the printed area.
Ref: RUT 011
 
G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£33
22 x 11cm


The New British Traveller was originally issued as a weekly partwork by the publisher Alexander Hogg, commencing in 1783. Once the series of 60 parts was completed in 1784 title pages were provided for the pages to be bound in a single volume. The work is a topographical review of Great Britain, containing numerous prints and a set of county and general maps. The maps are of varying sizes, being typically arranged 2,3 or 4 to a single page, with adjoining borders. When separated this means individual maps will be trimmed to the border on one or two sides and are often re-margined for mounting and framing. The map of Leicestershire and Rutland is re-margined on two sides and sold ready-mounted. The text pages for the county may be available on request at no extra charge.
Ref: LEI 015
 

Topographical prints - other areas

A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£12
18.5 x 14.5cm


Oakham Castle. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically 2 (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Oakham Castle was built between 1180 and 1190 for the Lord of the Manor, Walchelin de Ferriers. Although designated a castle, a better description of the property is probably a fortified Manor House, of which today only the great hall survives - an excellent example of its type. The hall is famouse for its collection of decorative horseshoes presented by visiting royalty and other dignitaries. The site is today owned by Rutland County Council, with free public access. This print, engraved by Hawkins, is supplied with the original, accompanying text from the work.
Ref: TOP 352