Copperplate

Suffolk : 50 items

Maps

J. Blaeu    Theatrum Orbis Terrarum 1645-72
£500
49 x 37.5cm


The Blaeu family were one of the leading Dutch map producers of the 17th century. Their major work was a multi volume world atlas initiated by Willem Blaeu and expanded by his son Joan. Their maps were beautifully designed and engraved, and are often found with original colour, making them most desirable to collectors. 1645 saw the first publication of volume 4 of the atlas, containing maps of England and Wales. There were several re-issues between then and 1672 when most of Blaeu's plates were lost in a fire which engulfed his Amsterdam premises. This example is in original full colour. Some repaired marginal tears, of which one expertly repaired at bottom margin impinges the printed area. A superby fresh example on japanned paper. No text on verso.
Ref: SUF 662
 
J. Jansson    Atlas Novus 1646-66
£450
49.5 x 38cm


In the mid 17th century the Amsterdam-based Jansson and Blaeu families were in fierce competition, each seeking to top the other in extending and updating their multi-volume world atlas projects. Jansson was the first to introduce maps of some individual English counties in 1636,only for Blaeu to leap frog him in 1645 with a new volume covering all of England and Wales, and with more decorative map designs. Jansson responded swiftly, re-engraving his existing English county maps and completing the series in time to introduce his own new volume on England and Wales in 1646. Original colour. Mounted ready to frame.
Ref: SUF 1656
 
T. Hutchinson    Geographia Magnae Britanniae 1748
£45
17 x 14.5cm


This small county atlas of England and Wales was first issued in 1748 by a consortium of 7 publishers who also had a stake in the publication of Daniel Defoe's Tour Through the Whole Island of Great Britain. It was advertised as a companion volume to Defoe's work, or as a pocket atlas in its own right. Thomas Hutchinson's name appears as the engraver on 2 maps, but the rest are unsigned and may be by a variety of hands. They are sometimes also known as Osborne/Wale maps. There was a second edition in 1756. Repaired tear to lower centrefold.
Ref: SUF 016
 
J. Ellis    Ellis's English Atlas 1766 (1765)
£60
25 x 19.5cm


Joseph Ellis's English Atlas was an entry into the market for small county atlases by its publishers Robert Sayer and Carington Bowles. The county maps were closely based upon those drawn by Thomas Kitchin for the 1763 topographical work England Illustrated, the major difference being the attractive vignettes which replaced Kitchin's rococco cartouches. The atlas was first published in 1765, and soon became a commercial success, running to many later editions. It was promoted as a travelling atlas, and made available in various formats. These included a version with the maps printed back to back on each page, as with this example from a 1766 edition which has a map of Staffordshire on the reverse.
Ref: SUF 665
 
F. Grose J. Seller    The Antiquities of England & Wales 1787-1809 (1695)
£30
14.5 x 12cm


In 1695 John Seller published a county atlas titled Anglia Contracta. The plates were much later acquired by Francis Grose, revised, and used in a supplement to his partwork on British antiquities. The supplement with maps was first published in 1787, and ran to several later editions. Modern colour, with descriptive text below and to verso.
Ref: SUF 1611
 
J. Aiken    England Delineated 1790
£16
15.5 x 9.5cm


John Aikin (or Aiken) wrote this topographical work for children in order "to make my young countrymen better acquainted than they are usually found to be with their native land". The first edition of 1788 did not include county maps, but these were added for the second edition of 1790, from which this example comes. The work was published by Joseph Johnson, but the maps are unsigned. There were four later editions of the book with the maps, and one without. The Suffolk map is fairly simple, befitting the needs of its target audience, and the text may be available at no extra charge.
Ref: SUF 668
 
J. Lodge    Untitled Atlas of the English Counties c1795
£99
32.5 x 26cm


This was one of a set of county maps engraved by John Lodge and issued between 1787 and 1790 in The Political Magazine, and Parliamentary, Naval, Military and Literary Journal, published initially by John Murray, and later by R. Butters. The maps were subsequently collected together and re-issued as an atlas (without title page) around 1795. For this atlas edition the imprint with the publication date and engraver's and publisher's signatures was removed from the maps. This example is from the atlas edition. The maps are well engraved in the plainer style then coming into vogue. They are uncommon, and sought by collectors.
Ref: SUF 046
 
J. Cary    New English Atlas 1811 (1809)
£90
53.5 x 48cm


It is suprising that Cary's large county atlas was issued as late as 1809, as individual maps from it seem to have been sold singly from 1801. The atlas format was perhaps to compete with the similarly sized atlas of Charles Smith, which went under the same title and was published in 1804. It is perhaps Cary's finest production, the maps being notable for their fine design, detail and engraving. The atlas ran to several later editions by Cary, and the plates were later used for a variety of lithographic transfers by G.F. Cruchley. This example is from the second edition of 1811, and is in original full colour.
Ref: SUF 670
 
G. Cole J. Roper    Curiosities of Great Brtiain, England and Wales Delineated 1835 or 1838 (1804-10)
£15
23 x 18cm


This set of maps, drawn by G. Cole and engraved by John Roper, were first issued in parts between 1804 and 1810, together with a number of town plans. They were subsequently collected together to form The British Atlas, issued in 1808 as a companion volume to The Beauties of England & Wales, written by J. Nightingale. The maps were further re-issued in 1816 in English Topography, (also written by Nightingale). and again in Dugdale's Curiosities in Great Britain from 1835. The symbols for polling places on this example of the Suffolk map indicates that it is from the 1835 or 1838 editions of Dugdale's Curiosities...Modern colour. Narrow vertical margins but sufficient for mounting.
Ref: SUF 112
 
G. Gray    Gray's New Book of Roads 1824
£25
10.5 x 12cm


This map appeared in a number of publications by Charles Cooke from c1810 to 1830. This example is from Gray's New Book of Roads, published in 1824, in which a plate number was added to the map for the first time.
Ref: SUF 015
 
M. Leigh S. Hall    Leigh's New Atlas of England and Wales 1831-43 (1820)
£15
12 x 7cm


This entry into the popular market for miniature atlases and road books was first published by Samuel Leigh in 1820 under the title Leigh's New Pocket Atlas of England and Wales. The maps were engraved by Sidney Hall. There were several later editions up to 1843, under slightly changed titles and imprints. From some time in 1831 the imprint changed to that of M.A. Leigh at 421 Strand, and this example dates from this latter period.
Ref: SUF 018
 
J. Barclay T. Moule    Barclay's Universal English Dictionary 1842-52 (1837)
£60
26.5 x 19.5cm


Thomas Moule's antiquarian leanings are evident in this series of highly decorative county maps - a stylistic throwback in an age when cartographic work had become much plainer and more utilitarian. The maps were engraved by W. Smollinger, J. Bingley and J. Dower, and first appeared in Moule's English Counties Delineated, a partwork with text issued from 1830-32. They were subsequently made available as a complete work in 1837 under the same title, and were later re-issued in Barclay's Universal English Dictionary between 1842 and 1852. This latter work ran to several editions and the maps were often updated between editions to show the latest growth of the railway network. This example in modern colour is from one of the editions of Barclay's Dictionary. Mounted
Ref: SUF 114
 
J. Duncan    A Complete County Atlas of England and Wales 1840-45 (1825)
£50
44 x 34cm


Coloured. These maps were first published in 1825, and probably sold singly. In 1833 they were re-published by James Duncan in a thematic atlas to illustrate the representative changes brought about by the 1832 Reform Act. There were later re-issues in 1840 and 1845 with the addition of railways, and this map dates from one of these editions.
Ref: SUF 1119
 
J. Gibson    New and Accurate Maps of the Counties of England and Wales 1759-c1779
£80
11 x 6.5cm


A nice example of an uncommon miniature map.
Ref: SUF 1399
 
S. Simpson    The Agreeable Historian 1746
£85
19.5 x 15.5cm


The Agreeable Historian was a weekly partwork, intended to be bound into 3 volumes when completed. It was issued in 109 parts beween December 1743 and December 1745, with the final title page being dated 1746. The work was a topographical review of the counties of England, being published by R. Walker, with Samuel Simpson cited as the author.
Ref: SUF 1440
 
J. van Langeren T. Jenner    A Booke of the Names of all Parishes, Market Towns, Villages, Hamlets and Smallest Places in England and Wales 1668-80 (1643)
£55
16.5 x 10cm


The history of this road book begins in 1635 when Jacob van Langeren engraved the plates for the first edition published by Matthew Simmons under the title A Direction for the English Traviller. Distance tables dominated each county page, with only tiny thumbnail maps. In 1643 Thomas Jenner published a new edition for which the plates were re-engraved with much larger maps replacing the thumbnails. There were several later editions, some under the changed title A Booke of the Names of all Parishes, Market Towns, Villages, Hamlets and Smallest Places in England and Wales. Maps published under this title have the addition of text below the map, listing places in the county. The work was last published around 1680. Despite the many editions maps from it are not common. This copy dates from an edition of the work between 1668 and 1680.
Ref: SUF 068
 
J. Seller    Camden's Britannia Abridged 1701 (c1695)
£65
14.5 x 12cm


First published in Anglia Contracta in c 1695, Seller's maps were subsequently reissued in A History of England in 1696, and in Camden's Britannia Abridged in 1701. They were later re-used in the 1780's in Grose's Antiquities of England and Wales, for which titles and scale-bars were changed, the maps also being set in a page of text. The Seller/Grose maps are common, the originals by Seller are not.
Ref: SUF 1420
 
T. Dix W. Darton    A Complete Atlas of the English Counties 1822 (1816)
£145
44.5 x 35cm


Thomas Dix initiated this atlas project some time around 1816, but after his death it was carried on to completion by the publisher William Darton. The Atlas was issued in 1822, though individual maps bear various dates between 1816 (as here with Essex) and 1821. The maps are in attractive and original full wash colour, and are relatively scarce.
Ref: SUF 1616
 
J. Pigot    British Atlas 1839-42 (1829)
£70
35.5 x 23cm


James Pigot & Co's county maps were issued in their British Atlas (from c1829), in several of their national and local business directories (from at least 1826 for the "home counties"), and singly in folding form as travelling maps. They were amongst the first maps to be printed from steel instead of copper plates, allowing more accurate fine detail and less wear to the plates over time. Atlas and directories went through several editions up to around 1857, later editions from 1846 being re-named Slater's New British Atlas, with imprints changed accordingly. This example is from the 1839 edition of the atlas, so dated from Pigot's Fleet Street address. Original outline colour.
Ref: SUF 096
 
A. Fullarton    The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England 1842 (1833)
£40
24 x 19cm


These maps were first published by Fullarton and Co. in 1833 in James Bell's New and Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales which was re-issued three times in the 1830's. They were subsequently re-published (again by Fullarton) in 1840 in The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales, with several further re-issues up to 1849. The maps were engraved on steel and sometimes bear the name of the engraver and sometimes not. This example is from the Parliamentary Gazetteer and lacks an engraver's signature.
Ref: SUF 1594
 
J. Dower M.A. Pittman    The Sporting Magazine c1841-3
£35
22.5 x 18cm


Mr. Muir's Hunt. These hunting maps, engraved by John Dower for M.A. Pittman, originally appeared in the Sporting Review magazine in the early 1840's. The full set of 24 maps were also issued as The Fox Hunter's Atlas in c1843 and c1850. A later issue of the atlas in c1857 had 28 maps. Individual folding examples have also been found in red silk covers.The maps are based on the territory of each hunt irrespective of county borders.This example shows Mr. Muir's hunt, covering parts of Suffolk and Cambridgeshire. Modern colour.
Ref: REG 1535
 
J. Pigot    A Pocket Topography and Gazetteer of England 1841
£25
16.5 x 10.5cm


Published by Pigot and Slater in 1841 as a pocket gazetteer of the English counties, though some counties may have been available slightly earlier on a partwork basis. The map is in original outline colour, and is supplied with the 26 text pages relating to the county. Some browning.
Ref: SUF 1615
 
R. Creighton S. Lewis    View of the Representative History of England 1835
£20
23.5 x 19cm


This work was published in 1835 as a companion volume to Lewis's Topographic Dictionary. It contains county and borough maps, drawn by R. Creighton and engaved by J.& C. Walker, and was designed to show the electoral and boundary changes effected by the 1832 Reform Act. There were 2 issues of the work in 1835 and 1840, this example of the county map being from the 1835 first edition. Original outline colour.
Ref: SUF 049
 
J. Cowley    The Geography of England 1743
£70
18.5 x 13.5cm


Cowley's Suffolk map was one of a set of 52 maps of the English and Welsh counties issued in a topographical work, The Geography of England. The book was published by R. Dodsley, and its title page is dated 1744, though other evidence suggests an actual publication date of November 1743. The 52 maps were re-issued in 1745 and 1748 as a county atlas without text under the title A New Sett of Pocket Maps of all the Counties of England and Wales. The maps are uncommon. Tight left-hand margin. Supplied ready mounted.
Ref: SUF 101
 
J. Emslie J. Reynolds    Reynold's Geological Atlas of Great Britain c1864-89
£25
23 x 17cm


These maps were drawn and engraved by John Emslie, and first published in 1848 as Reynolds Travelling Atlas of England. In 1860 geological data was added and the maps were re-issued as Reynolds Geological Atlas of Great Britain. There were later editions of the Geological Atlas in c1864 (when the maps were first issued geologically coloured), and in c1867, c1869 and 1889. Editions from 1864 were by lithographic transfer from the original intaglio plate. This example, in original hand-colour, dates from 1864 or later.
Ref: SUF 048
 
J. Archer T. Johnson    Johnson's Atlas of England 1847
£45
23 x 16.5cm


Between 1832 and 1834 Joshua Archer engraved a set of maps for the serialised partwork Pinnock's Guide to Knowledge. The maps were unusual in being relief printed from wooden blocks to give a "white on black" presentation. In 1847 amended versions of the maps were re-issued in Thomas Johnson's county atlas. Various changes were made to the wood blocks (including a new "piano key" border, and the addition of railways), and printing was by lithographic transfer to give a more conventional and easier to read "black on white" presentation. The amended maps from Johnson's atlas are today something of a rarity. This example is in original wash colour and in nice condition. Supplied mounted.
Ref: SUF 051
 
J. Thomson O. Hodgson    The New English Atlas/The Pocket Tourist and English Atlas 1823 or 1827
£50
6 x 8.5cm


This miniature map was first published by J. Thomson in 1823 in The New English Atlas. It was subsequently re-issued by Orlando Hodgson in 1827 in The Pocket Tourist and English Atlas. It is uncertain which work this example comes from, but both are uncommon. A repaired internal, short tear (just visible to the left of Aldborough) without loss.
Ref: SUF 011
 
R. Morden    Britannia 1695
£150
42 x 36cm


Camden's Britannia - a history and topography of Britain - was first published in 1586 and had a long and successful publication history. County maps by Kip and Hole were addded in 1607, and these also appeared in the editions of 1610 and 1637. Over 50 year's later it was decided to issue a new and updated edition. The original Latin text was re-translated by Edmund Gibson, and Robert Morden was commissioned to provide a new set of county and general maps in a more modern style. The revised work was issued in 1695. There were 4 further editions of the Gibson/Morden work, the last in 1772, before a further updated version by Richard Gough was launched in 1789, with new maps by John Cary. This example is from the first Gibson edition of 1695.
Ref: SUF 062
 
J. Archer    Curiosities of Great Britain, England and Wales Delineated 1846 or 1848 (1842)
£12
23.5 x 18.5cm


This map by Joshua Archer first appeared in 1842 in Dugdale's Curiosities of Great Britain, England and Wales Delineated. There were several further editions of the work up to 1858, some with slight amendments to the title. This example, with original outline colour, is from the 1858 edition of the work. The same set of maps were later also used in other publications such as Barclay's Universal English Dictionary, and Tallis's Topographical Dictionary of England and Wales.
Ref: SUF 075
 
P. Meijer    Algemeene Oefenschoole Van Konsten En Weetenschappen 1763
£145
20 x 17cm


This Dutch topograhical work on England and Wales is a close translation of Benjamin Martin's The Natural History of England. The county maps included are also copied from those of Emanuel Bowen in Martin's work. Whether this should be regarded as plagiarism or a joint commercial arrangement is uncertain. The work was probably published serially (as individual maps are variously dated between 1757 and 1770), and later collected into two volumes. The engraving was by L. Schenk. Sales of the work were probably poor, as the maps are amongst the rarest of English county maps today, and eagerly sought by collectors.
Ref: SUF 002
 
R. Morden    Magna Britannia et Hibernia 1720 (1701)
£70
23 x 17.5cm


Morden's set of smaller maps may originally have been drawn and engraved for Camden's Britannia, but rejected as too small. They were first published in 1701 in The New Description and State of England. This example is the second state of the work, with revisions by Herman Moll, most easily identified by the addition of the compass indicator It was published in Magna Britannia et Hibernia, originally issued as a 92 part topographical work between 1714 and 1731, but gradually also made available in 6 finished, bound volumes. The text and map of Suffolk first appeared in 1728. Later colour.
Ref: SUF 056
 
W. Blaeu    Der Zeespiegel 1623-66
£425
36 x 26cm


The Blaeu's major sea Atlas, Der Zeespiegel, was first published in 1623, and was re-issued a number of times in both Dutch and English editions between 1623 and 1652. From 1655-66 it was re-issued in an expanded edition as De Groote Zeespiegel. This example is from a Dutch edition and traces the Norfolk and Suffolk coasts from Cromer to Orfordness. Despite the several original editions, the charts are today rare.
Ref: SEA 003
 
R. Miller    Miller's New Miniature Atlas c1821
£50
10.5 x 6.5cm


Miller's miniature county atlas was undated, but issued in c 1821. There were re-issues in c 1822 and 1825 under the imprints of William Darton, who presumably bought the publishing rights from Miller. This example is from the first edition by Miller. An uncommon map.
Ref: SUF 013
 
Ordnance Survey    Ordnance Survey - Sheet 77 Popular Series - Lowestoft and Waveney Valley 1933 (1921)
£5
72 x 45cm


Sheet 77 of the 1 inch popular series which was first published in 1921. A folding, linen-backed map covering north-east Suffolk and south-east Norfolk. Lacking the card covers. First published 1921 but this example corrected to 1933. A little wear along folds.
Ref: SUF 025
 
J. Seller    Camden's Britannia Abridg'd 1701 (c1695)
£45
14.5 x 12cm


First published in Anglia Contracta in c1695, John Seller's maps were subsequently reissued in A History of England in 1696, and in Camden's Britannia Abridg'd in 1701. They were later re-used in the 1780's in Grose's Antiquities of England and Wales, for which titles and scale-bars were changed, the maps also being set in a page of text. The Seller/Grose maps are common, the originals by Seller much less so. This example of the Suffolk map is from Camden's Britannia Abridg'd published in 1701. Modern hand colour.
Ref: SUF 102
 
E. Bowen    General Magazine of Arts and Science 1759
£62
20 x 17.5cm


This map first appeared in the June 1759 number of Benjamin Martin's General Magazine of Arts and Sciences, a monthly partwork which between 1755 and 1762 issued a set of county maps. In 1763 those parts relating to natural history were collected together into 2 volumes with the county maps and offered under the title The Natural History of England. There were no later re-issues and the maps are not common. Mounted.
Ref: SUF 099
 
J. Laurie J. Whittle    Laurie's Travellers' Companion 1815 (1806)
£45
25 x 29.5cm


Laurie's Travellers Companion was first published as a road atlas in 1806 by Laurie and Whittle. It included ? regional maps by Nathaniel Coltman featuring the main road network as a series of straight lines linking towns en-route.There were a number of later editions, this example being from that of 1815.
Ref: ROA 1704
 
W. Cobbett    A Geographical Dictionary of England and Wales 1832 or 1854
£25
10 x 17.5cm


William Cobbett is probably best known for his work Rural Rides dealing with rural depopulation, but also entered the market for topographical dictionaries, publishing A Geographical Dictionary of England and Wales in 1832. The work contained a set of very sketchy and simplistic county maps. There was a second edition in 1854, but neither seems to have sold well as today Cobbet's maps are rarely encountered.
Ref: SUF 071
 
C. Smith    New English Atlas (reduced version) 1828/1833 (1822)
£45
23.5 x 19cm


In 1822 Charles Smith issued a county atlas with maps based on his larger county maps which had been in circulation for over 20 years. The new maps were smaller in scale, but the atlas bore the same title as that in which his larger maps appeared. They are clearly drawn and engraved, but although there were several editions of the atlas, they are today amongst the rarer of the 18th century county maps. This example is from the edition of 1828 or 1833, in which the maps have no date in the imprint, but before railways were added for the edition of 1844. Original outline colour. Supplied mounted and ready to frame.
Ref: SUF 055
 
Gall & Inglis J. Cary    Gall & Inglis Half Inch Map of England c1908
£15
64.5 x 51.5cm


This map was first published by the Carys as sheet 34 of a 65 sheet map of England and Wales, issued between 1820 and 1830 on a scale of one half inch to the mile. The plates were bought by Cruchley around 1850, and subsequently by Gall & Inglis in 1877. This example bears their imprint, and dates from c1910 -20. It folds into card covers, and is described as the Lowestoft Section of Gall and Inglis' Half inch Map of England. The original Cary sheet numbering is still followed, this being sheet 34. The map is roughly dated by the advertisement on the back cover for the Contour Road Book of Ireland by Harry R.G. Inglis, which was first published 1908. Good condition.
Ref: SUF 023
 
G. Whittaker S.M. Neele    The Travellers Pocket Atlas 1821 or 1823 (1820)
£25
16 x 13cm


First published by Pinnock and Maunder in 1820, this work was subsequently acquired by G. and W.B. Whittaker, who republished it in 1821 and 1823. This example is from one of these editions. The same maps also appeared in Pinnock's County Histories in 1829, 1823 and 1825. Original wash and outline colour.
Ref: SUF 003
 
Ordnance Survey    Ordnance Survey - 1:25,000 series - Sheet TM 38 c1940
£3
44 x 44cm


A medium-scale folding map covering an area 5 miles square to the south of (and including) Bungay.
Ref: SUF 031
 
G. Philip J. Bartholomew    Philips' Atlas of the Counties of England Reduced from the Ordnance Survey c1896 (c1862)
£15
41 x 35cm


This Philips' Atlas was first published c1862 with further issues up to 1891. All editions were by lithographic transfer. The maps were drawn and engraved by Bartholomews, and printed colour was introduced to later editions, as with this example, to represent Parliamentary Divisions.
Ref: SUF 095
 
B. Capper    Topographical Dictionary of the UK 1808
£15
18 x 11cm


Benjamin Pitts Capper was the author of this topographical directory, first published by R. Phillips in 1808. The maps were engraved, and possibly drawn by H. Cooper. Later editions of the work carry the imprint of G.and W.B. Whittaker who re-published the book from 1825-34. This example is from the first edition of 1808, with the hundreds shown in original, full wash colour.
Ref: SUF 104
 
R. Blome    Britannia 1673
£255
32 x 256cm


Originally intended as volume 3 of a larger cartographic project (The English Atlas), Richard Blome's Britannia was published alone in 1673. A rare second edition was issued in 1677. This Suffolk map is from the first edition of the work, and was dedicated to Thomas Timperley of Hintlesham Hall (today a hotel). In return for his patronage of Blome's project Timperley received this dedication on the county map, and also appeared in the list of the nobility and gentry of the county, his coat of arms being further included amongst the 816 illustrated in the volume.
Ref: SUF 098
 
J. Cary    Travellers Companion 1806 (1790)
£15
9 x 14.5cm


Cary's Traveller's Companion was first published in 1790. It proved very popular as a pocket road book, and ran to several editions up to c1828. The plates were re-engraved for the editions of 1806 and 1822. This example is from the 1806 edition. Original outline colour. A brown mark to the margin
Ref: SUF 069
 

Topographical prints - other areas

A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£8
cm


Alderton Church. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically 2 (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Alderton is a small village about 6 miles noth of Felixstowe. The partially ruined church of St. Andrew is interesting and picuresque. The oldest parts of the church date from the 14th century and the tower was built in the 15th century, but apparently not very well. It progressively collapsed to its current height and state of ruination from the 17th century up to 1821. With no tower, the church bell is today mounted on a wooden framework in the churchyard. The rest of the church was restored by the Victorians. This print, engraved by Noble, is supplied with the original, accompanying text.
Ref: TOP 365
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£10
21 x 15cm


Cardinal Wolsey's College, Ipswich. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically 2 (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Cardinal Wolsey came from Ipswich and attended the local small grammar school. In 1528 work began on a new Grammar School in the town, intended by Wolsey as a feeder to his recently founded Cardinal College in Oxford. Unfortunately the school was unfinished by the time of Wolsey's fall in 1830, and most of what had been built was demolished, though the school was later refounded by King Henry VIII and survives today as Ipswich School on a different site. The original site of Wolsey's College passed into private hands, and today only one gateway of the original complex survives, known locally as "Wolsey's Gate".
Ref: TOP 366
 
A. Hogg H. Boswell    The Antiquities of England and Wales c1787-9
£8
18.5 x 15cm


Orford Castle. The Antiquities of England and Wales was the product of Alexander Hogg who was well known as a partwork publisher. Under the claimed authorship of Henry Boswell it was issued serially from c1787-9, and subsequently made available as a complete work. The format was typically 2 (though sometimes up to 6) prints to a page, with one or two accompanying pages of descriptive text on each pair of subjects. It also included the set of English county maps by Thomas Kitchin first used in the London Magazine from 1747-54. Orford Castle was built by King Henry II beween 1165 and 1173, as a check on the power of the local and rebelliously-inclined Bigod family. In 1336 it passed into private hands under the ownership of the Earls of Essex, but gradually fell into the decayed state shown on this print, with only the unusual keep surviving. Today it is owned and managed by English Heritage, who open it to the public. This print was engraved by Noble.
Ref: TOP 367
 
A. Hogg G.A. Walpoole    The New British Traveller 1784
£8
20.5 x 34cm


The seat of Admiral Keppel, Bagshot & the seat of David Garrick, Hampton. The New British Traveller was one of a number of publications by Alexander Hogg aiming to tap the bouyant market for works on British topography and antiquities. It included text on each couny, a set of county maps by T. Conder and others, and numerous copperplate prints by a variety of engravers. The work was initially issued in 60 parts from c 1783, and then as a complete work from 1784. The Crown estate of Bagshot Park, was once a royal hunting park, and a house, known as Bagshot Park Lodge, was built there in1631-33 for the use of King Charles I. It was remodelled in 1766-72, apparently for occupation by George Keppel, Earl of Albermarle, but upon his death in 1772, it would appear to have been offered to his brother Augustus, Vice Admiral Keppel. This house was demolished in 1878, but the Park remains the home of royalty today. David Garrick was a prominent Georgian actor and theatrical manager. He moved to what was then called Hampton House in1754, first renting then purchasing and improving the property. The Adam bothers remodelled the house and Capability Brown assisted in the design of the gardens, which are notable for the Temple of Shakespeare, which still stands on the banks of the Thames, and is visible in this view. The house, today called Garrick's Villa, was converted into appartments in 1923. This print offers 2 views on one sheet. A little foxing to the margins which would be hidden by a mount.
Ref: TOP 125